_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
TankArt Books?
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 11:44 AM UTC
Hey guy's.. I've been reading a lot of reviews on the TankArt book series which are all excellent. Being new to this AFV modeling I want to start building a library of books on the subject at hand starting with (how to books) to help me on my way. So my question is having decided to go the acrylic root as my paint medium can one use the oil paint processes described in these books using acrylic techniques? I really want to purchase these books but I don't want to use oils!

Your thoughts? Craig..
tigersix
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 11:58 AM UTC
Craig, regardless whether you use the oil techniques or not get the books they are fantastic, and I think acrylics may work in the same way as a filter or wash etc.
Les
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 12:09 PM UTC
Hey Les.. I agree the books look great!! The reviews from other modelers including some video reviews are just raving about the quality and content of this series!! I'm sure I can learn a lot from them but just wanted to pick some acrylic brains out there and get there thoughts.

Thanks for posting Les!!

Craig
rinaldi119
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 12:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guy's.. I've been reading a lot of reviews on the TankArt book series which are all excellent. Being new to this AFV modeling I want to start building a library of books on the subject at hand starting with (how to books) to help me on my way. So my question is having decided to go the acrylic root as my paint medium can one use the oil paint processes described in these books using acrylic techniques? I really want to purchase these books but I don't want to use oils!

Your thoughts? Craig..

Hi Craig,

Yes, you can definitely use any type of product you're interested in working with. There is no right or wrong, and only requires your will to learn the best way with what products you choose.

They all have varying properties that require knowledge and testing to maximize, so absolutely go for an acrylic-only process if that is your preference. A lot of what I discuss with oils is very transferrable to other mediums, control and precision in particular. You can use artists acrylics in many similar ways, (I did a lot in my art school training with them, still have all my tubes of acrylics in fact, but gravitated towards oils over time for various reasons). Mainly the drying time and blending qualities differ, with enamels falling in between the two mediums.

Also, Vallejo in particular has put a lot of effort into creating an acrylic-only based line of painting and weathering products that provide excellent results. True Earth from Italy makes a lot acrylic-based products (at least I believe they are all water-based products) too that look very promising.

Testing and practice are the keys to any product use success, regardless of type of label on the bottle. Have fun!

FD3S20B
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 255 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 09:27 PM UTC
I would get all the tank art books they read very good and mike brakes down all the methods he uses in a clear way
I was not into oils or scared to use them but after getting the books and having a few runs at junk models I had the oil method down
Mike also in the post above about true earth I have used all the products in that line and they work very well what I like about them is they use water and dry really fast so down time is shorter
Hope that helps
mparham02
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:03 PM UTC
The Tank Art books are the best and most used technique reference books used at my desk. Strongly recommended for those that want to take their models to the next level. Can't wait for the 4th book.
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:32 PM UTC
WOW! Again receiving great feed back! Thanks Les,Mark,Craig and Michael for posting..I was hoping I could use my Vallejo paint choice in the processes described in these books,and was pleased that during my research that Vallejo was producing weathering pigments and other products to help the modeler in his attempt at creating more realism in ones subject at hand!

I have found a number of books on this subject which include my interest in diorama's. One such book that I am also considering purchasing is John Prigents Armour Modelling (master class series) Looks promising! Any thoughts on this book and it's quality??

Thanks guy's..Craig
MichaelD413
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:42 PM UTC
Yeah, the TankArt books are great. If you want to build a library I also suggest AK Interactive FAQ2 as it is pretty much an encyclopedia of modeling. As for acrylics they are great and you should give oils a chance. I love using oils for weathering.
MichaelD413
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:44 PM UTC
And another thing, besides books, AK has some great DVD's I highly recommend. AK is my favorite company as you may be able to tell...
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 338 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 10:56 PM UTC
Yes you can use oils over accrylic and they are pretty good but the drying time is quite long I only use the vallejo line and after discussing the oil vs accrylic i plan on getting the vallejo line of washes which will replace my oils mainly because of drying times and mostly because a 50/50 water and isopropyl alcohol mix will clean off any uh ohs off the model so long as you heave sealrd the paint with a coat or coats of varnish which is a clear coat hope this helps
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 11:35 PM UTC
HiYa..Mike and Ronnie! Just so happens I have the AK interactive FAQ2 book in my sites and I to noticed they have video's to go along with this book, Glad to hear that some of my book interests are being validated as quality from you guy's!

There is a sea of info/books/videos out there and none are cheap so to get feed back from you guy's on what really has the quality and useful information and which ones justify there fairly high costs is just great! So please keep it coming guy's as your experience/knowledge is invaluable to me and also the others that are watching these threads grow.

It has been great for me to receive your responses on this thread and my other one that I posted titled Airbrush? and to have other modelers comment like that this is a good thread or this is great because I have had the same questions but have been afraid to ask. Comments such as these have taken some of the apprehension out of posting vs. trolling for me and thanks to your generosity and none condemning tone and responses ie. just another newbie pain in the butt question, I'm glad I took the risk to ask and put myself out there!

Thank You ALL!
Craig...
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 12:49 AM UTC
Hiya Craig,

I cant only agree with everyone above......GET THOSE BOOKS!!!!

Ive actually tried the Vallejo Washes recently and man...I LOVE EM!!!
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 02:12 AM UTC
Gary.. They are getting purchased the same day as the airbrush/compressor/kits/etc.. Can't wait to get my hands and eye's on them!!

Craig..
specmod
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 02:28 AM UTC
The books are excellent and as an Australian retailer i can say are very popular. each one that comes out i sell out of very quickly.
The techniques inside, can be used with what ever medium you choose to work with, you may just have to work out a way to get the desired effect is all, but hey isn't that what modelling is all about.
So grab the books, get out a kit, and start your new modelling journey, enjoy and have fun.
Ohh by the way, i am a big user of acrylic products with my armour and figures so i speak from experience. cheers
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hey Andrew glad to know that modelers the world over are responding in unison to the quality of this book series and others!

Even though I want to do the Meng T90a mbt as my first build I think I will purchase a couple of much cheaper kits to build just to practice learning how to use the airbrush before I attempt to paint the Meng! I'm sure I'm going to face some frustration and a learning curve using my first airbrush and I wouldn't want to get pissed off and have poor results on the Meng!

I'm also glad to hear that others are using the new Vallejo washes and pigments with success!

I'm open minded though as I can see some wonderful products being put out there by other companies such as AK,Mig,Acrylic and Enamel, Humbrel, Tamiya just to mention a few and I'm not against mixing two different mediums if thats what produces the best results. I understand this can be done if done correctly!

But to start out I'll begin with Vallejo and grow from there.

Craig..
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 07:43 PM UTC
Hey guy's.. Does anyone know where you can purchase these books at the suggested price or less? I see that they are out of stock on most sites and on Rinaldi Studio Press site they are out also but were/asking $100.00 dollars each for volumes 1 & 2 and there is NO way I'm paying that price!!! To me thats just gouging the public and they should just reprint the volumes and make them affordable to average modelers which must be apparent that the average AFV modeler is not existing on a 6 figure income!

Craig
Unreality
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 08:30 PM UTC
Ebay has vol 2 and 3 and good prices. Michigan Toy Soldier also has 2-3 in stock: http://www.michtoy.com/vendors-Rinaldi%20Studio%20Press.html

I'll concur with what others have said, I enjoy the books. I only have the first one, but I've flipped through the others. Sometimes it's hard to grasp exactly what colors are being used in certain pictures to get certain effects, but he's pretty good at explaining things. And if anything, it will make you want to practice more and more.

And if you are looking to do weathering with acrylics, you can always add a little drying retarder to the paint to give you more work time. I use that sometimes with Vallejo paints.

I'll also throw in my website and my thoughts on the acrylic brands I've used: http://www.rebelscale.com/techniques/acrylic-paint-tips-and-brands/ It's amazing how different brands work differently and require different skills and treatment.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll also throw in my website and my thoughts on the acrylic brands I've used: http://www.rebelscale.com/techniques/acrylic-paint-tips-and-brands/ It's amazing how different brands work differently and require different skills and treatment.

Great link fella and i completely agree with your assessments on all the paints. Only one ive had real problems with was Vallejo Grey Polyurethane Primer....I DONT LIKE!!!

BTW, great price on the books from Michigan Toy Soldier!

Gary
rinaldi119
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 09:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guy's.. Does anyone know where you can purchase these books at the suggested price or less? I see that they are out of stock on most sites and on Rinaldi Studio Press site they are out also but were/asking $100.00 dollars each for volumes 1 & 2 and there is NO way I'm paying that price!!! To me thats just gouging the public and they should just reprint the volumes and make them affordable to average modelers which must be apparent that the average AFV modeler is not existing on a 6 figure income!

Craig

Hi Craig,

You seem to be somewhat misinformed or weren't looking close enough, there was no combo listed at that price for 2 books, you saw the final Combo 3 with TA1 (2nd) of TA1/TA2 & TA3 for that price, over 650 pages worth. It was listed at $85 for a long time prior. TA1 was reprinted and it sold out after a pre-order started back in July 2014, and unfortunately that is all my small company can afford to print at this time. I am solely focused on producing all-new titles for the foreseeable future.

We also currently offer different combos packs for TA2, TA3 and TA4, all at nice savings off the cover prices and even a bit more off of shipping too.

As for gouging the public, the books are all over 200+ pages, substantially more than any other hobby publisher for a similar product and our prices are also considerably lower for equal page counts in other industries. This size book typically retails for $50-60 in many other markets. We just ran an early-bird special for $25 on TA4, and the pre-order is now $30 (MSRP is $35). We also pay a portion of everyone's shipping costs to help keep things manageable both (US and International shipping) and go to great lengths to ensure they arrive with no damages, we do not charge a separate handling fee, all of which comes out that low cover price. In addition, we also offer the Lay-Flat Binding, something no one else does either, which make all the difference when referencing the books on your workbench.

I'm a scale modeler first and acutely aware of costs in this hobby, I feel I've done my best to contain the prices of everything and provide a relevant and honest value on the prices we do charge. I'm sorry TA1 is OOP now for the second time, but that is why we are moving on to new titles as fast as possible and continue the always evolving conversations of painting and weathering.
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 09:59 PM UTC
Thanks for the post Jonathan and your link! Just read your whole site nice info my friend!

Craig
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hello Michael Rinaldi.. I have to apologize for using the word gouging and not looking closely enough at your book packages! MY BAD!!! Woke up on the wrong side of the bed I guess but still thats no excuse for my rush to judgment and my harsh use of criticism!

I do know of how nice a product you have produced and how much effort it takes to bring something to market and I intend to purchase every single volume you offer!!

Again Michael my Sincerest Apologies for speaking out of turn!
I feel like a complete ASS and that is well deserved! Sorry Michael!!

Craig..
rinaldi119
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Michael Rinaldi.. I have to apologize for using the word gouging and not looking closely enough at your book packages! MY BAD!!! Woke up on the wrong side of the bed I guess but still thats no excuse for my rush to judgment and my harsh use of criticism!

I do know of how nice a product you have produced and how much effort it takes to bring something to market and I intend to purchase every single volume you offer!!

Again Michael my Sincerest Apologies for speaking out of turn!
I feel like a complete ASS and that is well deserved! Sorry Michael!!

Craig..

Hi Craig,

Thank you for that, and no worries. All the small cottage industry producers in this hobby know we must compete for limited spending dollars and that gets harder every day. We are all linked by the passions of the hobby in its many forms, and I also very much appreciate the ability to be able to reply and clarify when I can.
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 05:34 AM UTC
Hi Michael!

Thank you for accepting my sincere apologies!! It has bothered me all day and I was just hoping that you would respond back to me!

Craig
Alaska
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 08:45 PM UTC
Hi guy's.. Was wondering if any of you have had any experience with the AK Interactive FAQ 2 modeling book and what your thoughts are on this manual?

Craig..
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 09:45 PM UTC
All reference material out there is trash or junk and only provides enrichment for the author. With that being said, you should give up the hobby, especially when it comes to 1/35th armor, and sell me your inventory, at 50% or less on the dollar. That way you're no longer burdened with expense and troublesome painting decisions...

All kiddin' aside...the TankArt series are great...no matter the product you wish to use!
 _GOTOTOP