_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M-60A1 Commander's cupola operation
Removed by original poster on 04/17/15 - 18:09:19 (GMT).
USNPilot
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 03:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the link to the photos. Those make it plain that the tc could not see very much when buttoned up. I can understand the need for tanks covering each other and for accompanying infantry.
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 07:40 PM UTC
When the Army reorganized for Division 86 the platoon went to 4 tanks and we worked on a fighter plane type of mind set. Each leader tank platoon leader and platoon sergeant had a wingman and we moved at all times like that. Tanks were never supposed to go under platoon strength and you never left your wingman. The bare minimum was 2 tanks to cover each other. We moved in various formations always following the lead. Cross attaching was at company level by exchanging platoons.

The visibility of the M60 cupola was still much better then a Sherman bother early and late TCs hatch. The M88 and M88A1 still used the late model Sherman TCs hatch so I have seen what it was like. The center hatch periscope was welded shut.

I remember mounting the M85 pushing it into the mount at nearly max elevation took a lot of effort. It really helped if someone was on top to grab the front until you could get the pin in. At least it didn't need head space and timing.

I know the new model M2 barrel doesn't need head spacing but does the timing still have to be set?

Tom

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 07:54 PM UTC

"I know the new model M2 barrel doesn't need head spacing but does the timing still have to be set?"

No, it is fixed head space and timing (HST)
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 09:23 PM UTC
Thanks DJ. How many years did it take to improve good old John Browning's design.I'm a big 1911 fan as well my favorite hand gun.

Now how about that abortion of a machine gun the M219, 1 in 10 would work. Had them on the 551s and 48s. The 60s I crewed had 240s. Tankers had them years before the infantry.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP