_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M-60A1 Commander's cupola operation
USNPilot
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 09:06 PM UTC
Hello all,

I'm seeking information from operator manuals and/or from M-60A1 tank crewmen or maintenance personnel about the operation of the commander's cupola on that tank.

My understanding is that there were two seats for the commander. One was a lower one which he used when he observed through his scopes and aimed and fired the cupola machine gun. The upper seat was mounted on a swing out arm from the underside of the turret in such a way that when it was swung out, it placed him in a position to have his torso exposed from the top of the cupola for observation.

-Was the cupola capable of power rotation or was it just hand cranked?

-Could the commander rotate the cupola when he was "turned out" and seated on the swing out seat attached to the underside of the turret?

-Was there any requirement for the cupola and the turret to be aligned before the commander could turn out and take position on that swing out seat or could he sit on that seat, with his torso exposed above the cupola no matter what the alignment of the cupola and the main turret?

-Could the commander occupy that upper seat and rotate the cupola a full 360 degrees?

Any photos form inside the tank, of a commander sitting in that seat and would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 09:23 PM UTC
I will try a shot at your questions:

-Was the cupola capable of power rotation or was it just hand cranked?

No, hand cranked. Power cupola on the M60A2 not the A3 and M-1 series

-Could the commander rotate the cupola when he was "turned out" and seated on the swing out seat attached to the underside of the turret?

The seat is adjustable , you either have it down or up kinda like the M-113 system, but as I recall, you turn the cupola while standing not seated. The seat is stationary but adjustable up and down, and closed or open

-Was there any requirement for the cupola and the turret to be aligned before the commander could turn out and take position on that swing out seat or could he sit on that seat, with his torso exposed above the cupola no matter what the alignment of the cupola and the main turret?

If I understand your question correctly----The turret and the cupola operate independent of each other. You can stand or be seated in the TC position regardless of the turret direction or movement. But, you unless you move the cupola via the hand crank you are going to be going with the turret motion.

-Could the commander occupy that upper seat and rotate the cupola a full 360 degrees?

No, you sit facing forward or you stand and rotate the cupola

My responses are subject to correction by John Charvat..........I am sure I will get nailed for something
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 10:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My responses are subject to correction by John Charvat..........I am sure I will get nailed for something

DJ,
You remembered your training well... No corrections today, perhaps an amplification.

Quoted Text

My understanding is that there were two seats for the commander. One was a lower one which he used when he observed through his scopes and aimed and fired the cupola machine gun. The upper seat was mounted on a swing out arm from the underside of the turret in such a way that when it was swung out, it placed him in a position to have his torso exposed from the top of the cupola for observation.

JC: The "swing out" seat was commonly called the "Autobahn" seat as it gave the Tank Commander (TC) a seat for those long road marches (convoys) along the German highways and back roads back in the Cold War days. M1 TCs/tankers would have to sit on a box of MREs, set on top of the TC's pedestal. It was NEVER (OK, maybe very rarely) used while maneuvering the tank as it locked into position and the locking handle was hard to reach, especially if the vehicle was moving across rough terrain or is in the process of rolling over.

Quoted Text

Was the cupola capable of power rotation or was it just hand cranked?

JC: The M19 cupola was hand cranked for traverse as well as elevation as DJ mentioned above

Quoted Text

Could the commander rotate the cupola when he was "turned out" and seated on the swing out seat attached to the underside of the turret?

JC: Yes, it could. He would have to pivot his body on the Autobahn seat as he traversed.

Quoted Text

Was there any requirement for the cupola and the turret to be aligned before the commander could turn out and take position on that swing out seat or could he sit on that seat, with his torso exposed above the cupola no matter what the alignment of the cupola and the main turret?

JC: No, the only set alignment position for the cupola was the interlock that would allow the TC to align the cupola with the main gun. That way, the gunner could lay the TC on a .50 caliber MG target.

Quoted Text

Could the commander occupy that upper seat and rotate the cupola a full 360 degrees?

JC: Technically, the cupola could spin 360 degrees however, with the Autobahn seat, the TC would get caught up in the turret. In actuality, it was easier to reach down and spin the whole turret via the TC’s Override handle vice cranking the cupola around.

So, what are all the cupola questions about?? I think that I have a M60A3 TTS TM on my computer at home.

John
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 - 12:05 AM UTC
John-- not too bad, I think I scored in the 90 percentile
DJ
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 - 03:48 AM UTC
Well guys as memory serves the autobahn seat was the TCs most comfortable seat but it was a real stretch to get to the cupola travese handle. The over ride was impossible, remember that was mounted on the turret wall by the range finder. The main TC seat was attached to the turret floor and adjusted up and down it had a platform that could double as a foot rest or a place to stand while buttoned up. The seat in the low position had an average height TC level with the range finder A1or A3 full up low nametag defilade for me. The seat back folded down giving the TC a platform for standing hatch open. Also the seat was spring loaded and would flip up at the worst time. I was TCing on a rough tank trail we hit a bump I went air born the seat flipped up and I came down on the turret floor with some choice words for the driver.
L
Tom
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 - 05:15 AM UTC
Tom-- been there, done that
Great memories
DJ
USNPilot
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 - 06:42 AM UTC
Gentlemen, thank you all very much for the answers. I happen to play a tank simulator that uses the T-62 and the M-60A1 as opponents. The developers are a Ukrainian outfit. I don't think they have much access to M-60 tanks or crewmen there. The head developer has modeled the M-60 so that you must align the .50 caliber barrel with the main gun barrel before you can pop your head/body out of the cupola hatch to look around or to use binos.

It just didn't make any sense that the designers of the M-60 would make a tank with that kind of restriction. So for my own education I wanted to find out how it worked.

From the answers given here it would seem he is in error. It seems you could stand on the folding seat to pop your head out or sit on the "Autobahn" seat regardless of the relative orientation of the cupola with the main gun.

John, what does that M60A3 TTS TM cover?
TankSGT
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 - 01:26 PM UTC
The M60 cupola had a traverse lock but if memory serves no alignment lock with the maingun. We did have the search light guard so we didn't shoot the light or gun tube but otherwise we lined them up by eye. The TC did all his main gun work from the range finder. The cupola MG was very accurate if boresighted and zeroed. But it would be really difficult to engage any targets to the right or rear without moving the turret too much in the way. On table VIII all 50cal targets were on the right.

Tom
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 - 07:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

John, what does that M60A3 TTS TM cover?

Crew station operations, Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS, operations under normal and unusual situations and a Basic Itetems Inventory (stuff that came with the tank. The Lubrication Order (LO), parts and and the higher echolons of maintenance/repair were in other manuals. I think that I got that right...

Tom,
My lasting M60 memory was throwing open TC hatch and sticking my head up without hearing that click of the hatch locking open... The next thing that 2LT Charvat knew, he was doing a close inspection of the M85 banana boxes with a headache.

JC
USNPilot
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The M60 cupola had a traverse lock but if memory serves no alignment lock with the maingun. We did have the search light guard so we didn't shoot the light or gun tube but otherwise we lined them up by eye. The TC did all his main gun work from the range finder. The cupola MG was very accurate if boresighted and zeroed. But it would be really difficult to engage any targets to the right or rear without moving the turret too much in the way. On table VIII all 50cal targets were on the right.

Tom

Thanks John.

Tom,

Why was it difficult to engage targets to the right and rear?
TankSGT
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 03:35 PM UTC
As you traverse right you have to clear the interrupter, gun and searchlight.The loaders hatch which may be open to toss out spent shells, not to mention the loader who sometimes pops up to help spot targets. Shooting left if everything is closed up would be possible but not at any close targets, if the crew has stacked their gear in the bustle rack for a long operation, 4 duffle bags, the tarp, rucks, rations road wheels etc the bustle rack gets rather full limiting the view to the rear and barrel clearance. Anti air would be possible. It is just easier to rotate the turret for a rough lay on target unless there are multiple off axis targets. Remember in a M60 the TC is much more involved in precision gunnery, he controls the rangefinder the 50 cal is for targets to big for coax but not worth a maingun round.
During tank table VIII there would be a multiple MG engagement with troops to the left for the coax and an RPG team for the TC and the 50 to the right. Good times.

If the the TC twisted around to much he would get tangled in the darn spaghetti cord. The quick disconnect would and you spent a few frantic moments reaching down to find the end and hook back up.

John I feel your pain! While up loading I was in the turret the guy on the outside dropped a round on my head, luckily I was wearing my beret (Cav days pre 1979 so it didn't hurt)

Tom
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:54 PM UTC
I Agree with all comments. If you were not a TC, the Cupola seems like an OK piece of equipment. The reality was in a perfect world you had 185 rounds and you were done. If the ammo feed tray wasn't in good shape it jammed the weapon before you were done. Clearing a jam was also a pain.The issue of reloading under fire never seamed like a good idea.It was a P.I.A to load in a hurry and your attention would be distracted from the battlefield. i never liked the design of the cupola. I liked the M48A5's cupola much better.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I Agree with all comments. If you were not a TC, the Cupola seems like an OK piece of equipment. The reality was in a perfect world you had 185 rounds and you were done. If the ammo feed tray wasn't in good shape it jammed the weapon before you were done. Clearing a jam was also a pain.The issue of reloading under fire never seamed like a good idea.It was a P.I.A to load in a hurry and your attention would be distracted from the battlefield. i never liked the design of the cupola. I liked the M48A5's cupola much better.

Words of wisdom from a fellow who utilized the
tank when we had 53 in a battalion, the M48A5?....you dated yourself, Amigo!
TankSGT
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 04:32 AM UTC
Nothing wrong with the 48A5 it was the first tank I TCed. Shooting the M60D was a blast. We actually reorged to Div 86 with 48s. 50th Armored Div long gone now. I actually liked the M85 but it was finicky. Loading the banana box was a b*tch. Clearing a jam would entail depressing the gun and opening the covers. Not a job under fire. It was bad enough doing on the range. Better hope you got the job done with the 185 in the tray.

Tom
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 04:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nothing wrong with the 48A5 it was the first tank I TCed. Shooting the M60D was a blast. We actually reorged to Div 86 with 48s. 50th Armored Div long gone now. I actually liked the M85 but it was finicky. Loading the banana box was a b*tch. Clearing a jam would entail depressing the gun and opening the covers. Not a job under fire. It was bad enough doing on the range. Better hope you got the job done with the 185 in the tray.

Tom

Tom-- here I thought you were a mere youth and you tell me you were in the 50th AD!!!! I use to watch those guys drive Sherman tanks on Armed Forces day in Fairlawn, NJ....
TankSGT
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 09:04 AM UTC
The Shermans were abit before my time. I enlisted at 17 as an 11D and my first turreted track was a M551A1. My reference to the black tankers beret didn't give it away. I retired as an M1 tank platoon sergeant once the Jersey guard lost all it's tanks. I wasn't going to trade an M1 for a Humvee.
At one time New Jersey had more tanks then Canada.

To return to the topic the M60A3 was my favorite tank the cupola M85 was much more accurate then the M2 on the M1. We used to engage and were expected to hit single infantry targets.

Tom
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Shermans were abit before my time. I enlisted at 17 as an 11D and my first turreted track was a M551A1. My reference to the black tankers beret didn't give it away. I retired as an M1 tank platoon sergeant once the Jersey guard lost all it's tanks. I wasn't going to trade an M1 for a Humvee.
At one time New Jersey had more tanks then Canada.

To return to the topic the M60A3 was my favorite tank the cupola M85 was much more accurate then the M2 on the M1. We used to engage and were expected to hit single infantry targets.

Tom

Tom-- I gotta tell you I have been on tanks from the M-41 to the M1A2 and the A3 is my favorite...damn great vehicle
DJ
USNPilot
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 08:59 PM UTC
Another question about the commander's cupola.

What are the viewing devices that line the circumference of the cupola?

They don't look like they're periscopes. Are they vision slits, protected by bulletproof glass? I guess "vision blocks" would be a more correct term?

Would you get a wider field of view if you moved your face closer to the vision block?

Were they useful for adequate situational awareness while buttoned up?
TankSGT
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 12:34 AM UTC
They were vision blocks, bullet proof glass blocks set in the openings in the cupola.Vision was fair out to a distance like most tanks poor close to the vvehicle. The 48A5 had double prisms if you shifted your head you could view distance or close. I would have to say the M1 had the best buttoned up view.I can't speak for the M1A2 though.The 60 did not have a protected open.

I really appreciated the oddements tray and roomy turret, 63 main gun rounds stored in the open around the crew was not a comfort though.

Tom
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 06:21 PM UTC
Could you explain the double prisms on the M-48A5 , were these in the urdan cupola ?

Sean
TankSGT
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 06:40 PM UTC
The US low profile cupola had 3 periscopes 1 left, 1 right, and 1 center. If you looked straight out your view was in a straight line to the horizon. If you shifted your head up or down not sure which I haven't been on an A5 since 1988 your view was angled down around the tank allowing the TC to see close in. I was never told about this in training but found out while looking through the periscope.

The tanks the Jersey Guard had were starting to show their age. One tank had 3 torsion bars snap while parked. I doubt they were replaced when the tank was rebuilt into an A5.

I was the driver of this M60A1 RISE passive, REFORGER 78. We got her brand new in June of that year and I painted her. No pastels, pin washes or chipping used.

Tom
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 06:44 PM UTC
Interesting, thanks !

Sean
USNPilot
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 10:01 PM UTC
I've been searching for an M60 on display that I could look inside in my area. The closest I can find is at an American Legion Post 90 miles away. If I knew I could get inside her I'd plan a road trip.

Getting back to the vision blocks on the A1's commander's turret, could you get a wider field of view by moving your head closer to the vision block? That was probably not a good idea when the tank was moving though.
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 10:22 PM UTC
Check these photos out for an idea of the view through the vision blocks http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/m60a1_trainer.htm

Sean
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 11:05 PM UTC
If you look at Sean's link you will see how inadequate the view was. Often the glass was cracked,painted, or fogged and there was no company level repair. My head was always in the "up" position unless bullets were bouncing off the turret. If you ever wanted to see a fine example of a Cluster F. try unjamming the M85 with the hatch closed. Elevate, pull the charging handle OK. However a stuck or ruptured carteridge becomes another issue. It is technically possible to pull the mounting pin and drop the M85 inside(with barrel attached), repair/unjam it and reinstall it all with the hatch closed. What is required is a set of monkey arms, gorilla strength and the patience of Job. Now make it a hot weapon at 22:00 hours and Bingo! I always thought it would have made the defining station at a TSQT testing station.
 _GOTOTOP