_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
German 88mm Gun
amigo1941
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 02:40 AM UTC
Hi. I intend building the Tamiya 88mm GunFlak 36/37 and would like to paint it in the overall 'Grey' scheme. I'd appreciate some advice on what Tamiya or Gunze Sangyo colour would be accurate. Cheers
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 04:06 AM UTC
Tamiya's Panzer Gray is too dark. Like most military colors, I would suggest lightening it slightly.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 07:56 AM UTC
Mr hobby h401 ?
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 08:33 AM UTC
I personally find all the Dunkelgrau/Dark Grey/German Grey offerings to be too dark for my taste. They may be an exact match for factory paint, but taking into account scale effects they just don't look right to my eye. This is particularly true if you plan on doing a weathered vehicle, on which the paint would have lightened quite a bit from sun and the elements. Important tip is to not use white to lighten dark grey. Use a light tan color instead.

amigo1941
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mr hobby h401 ?

Have you used H 401 ?
amigo1941
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 10:55 AM UTC
I'm going to go with the gunze sangyo color. I think it astonishing that with the tens of thousands of German ww2 afv kits that would have been built ' nobody' was able to give me (a relative newby) a difinitive answer. On another forum I was given 'mixes' to try; indicating that not one model paint manufacturer had a one pot color match. Amazing. Thanks to those who did contribute to my query.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 11:15 AM UTC
I believe that's available over where your at , if not its on the island continent .
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 06:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm going to go with the gunze sangyo color. I think it astonishing that with the tens of thousands of German ww2 afv kits that would have been built ' nobody' was able to give me (a relative newby) a difinitive answer. On another forum I was given 'mixes' to try; indicating that not one model paint manufacturer had a one pot color match. Amazing. Thanks to those who did contribute to my query.

We-ee-llll, the question of The Exact colour match has
almost as many answers as there are "experts" at painting
models, and if you really want to stir the pot you could
try asking about Dunkelgelb / dark yellow ...
Some will say that the dark gray should be darker, almost
black, some say that it should be lighter to compensate for
scale/distance/weathering et.c. Some will claim (probably
with some merit) that the exact colour doesn't exist due to
various circumstances (paint manufacturers, there was a war
going on don't'yer know ..)
I think that the suggestions above are reasonable
and reasonably quick too considering differences in time
zone, some of us don't "hang" here 24-7 et.c

/ Robin
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 02:14 AM UTC
OP: If I'm misreading the tone of your last message, please let me apologize in advance. But perhaps your expectation level was a bit too high.

Like Robin said, color is a subjective thing. You were given several good answers on how we more experienced modelers approach German dark grey. As you saw, there was a spectrum of answers which includes the mix suggestions given to you on another site. But don't go around and lob a passive aggressive shot at people for not telling you their personal preferences.

That's like asking people to make chocolate ice cream suggestions so you can find one you'd like. There's no definitive answer and you're disatisfaction with those legions of readers of this post who didn't drop their suggegstion to you is, in my opinion, poor form on your part.

Please be patient when using these forums. I read your post originally and found others' suggestions fine -- thus I didn't add my bit to the mix. But here you go: when I do 1/35 German dark grey, I use Tamiya XF24, lightened slightly with medium grey highlights. I hope you find what works for you. Please come back with other questions and requests. The modeling community is very willing to share ideas, tips, and pitfalls to avoid. Good luck w/your 8.8cm Flak gun
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 04:48 AM UTC
Hi,
While I have no recipe for it, would like to point that according to colour wartime pics it was quite dark, more than the shades sold as Panzer grey and definitively darker than we usually see on models... in my opinion.

Here you have some quick examples:
http://ayay.co.uk/backgrounds/historical/german_world_war_2_colour/Panzer-38t-armoured-cars-travelling-in-Russia.jpg

http://www.ww2shots.com/gallery/d/9647-1/Panzer+IV+in+voller+Fahrt-color+photo-ww2shots-army.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/330310953891044591/
 _GOTOTOP