_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon Jagdpanther
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 12:04 PM UTC
Just bought Dragons Jagdpanther kit #6494 and after looking for some reference pictures I came across this picture of 112 and 133.now I noticed that the gun cleaning tubes have been removed from the sides and would like to know if they were relocated to the rear deck on these 2 vehicles?

Paint options:

Thanks
Karl
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 12:20 PM UTC
Karl

Most likely yes - you will notice that all the tool brackets have also been removed. We are assuming that the 133 and 112 are the same ones as shown in the DML kit instructions.

I believe that if 112 and 133 are from 654 Pzjgabt, they usually relocated the tools and aerial/gun cleaning rod tube to the rear.

Regards

Rob
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 02:58 PM UTC
Thanks Rob
Might be a bit of a pain finding reference on where and how the tools were stored if they are at the rear.I know the tube is located at the top of the engine deck and maybe the shovel was placed on the rear superstructure?

I shall keep looking for some more photos.

Cheers
Karl
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 04:45 PM UTC
It almost looks like they are on the upper back end of the Jagdpanthers already in formation.
jzumbro
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 100 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 03:04 AM UTC
Interesting...some of the tanks show sagging tracks while others in the photo show no sag!?
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 04:58 AM UTC
You're correct about the shovel. I've seen photos of JP's with the shovel & sometimes the pry-bar mounted to the right of the rear escape hatch on the superstructure. You might also check some photos of Mk V Panthers from the same time frame, since the two shared a similar rear deck, there may have been similar OVM storage features.
stevieneon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 06:42 AM UTC
Looks like 112 is moving, hence no sag?
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 08:46 AM UTC
Karl, The info you seek is in this book
Todd

[/url]

It has line drawing 3&4 view blueprints, and color profiles.
Bear in mind the two vehicles in your pic are late model production not early. If you do the research you will find out why.

this is one I built 5 yrs ago that won Silver @ AMPS
[/url]
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 09:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting...some of the tanks show sagging tracks while others in the photo show no sag!?

Not an expert on the physics of driving a tank, but could it be the two in the foreground (112 & 133) were driven into place, and the ones in the background were backed into place? Seems like a tank driven forward would have the links on top under tension so any slack would be "hidden" underneath the tank; whereas a tank backing up would have the links underneath under tension so any slack would show up on top.

Alternatively, maybe the ones in the background simply haven't had their tension adjusted recently.

RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not an expert on the physics of driving a tank, but could it be the two in the foreground (112 & 133) were driven into place, and the ones in the background were backed into place? Seems like a tank driven forward would have the links on top under tension so any slack would be "hidden" underneath the tank; whereas a tank backing up would have the links underneath under tension so any slack would show up on top.

Alternatively, maybe the ones in the background simply haven't had their tension adjusted recently.

Mark: TANK Track priciples:

Drive Sprocket Front: Backing up Top run slack
Going Fwd Top run tight
Drive Sprocket Rear: Backing up Top run tight
Going FWD Top run Slack
Todd
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 10:47 AM UTC
OFF TOPIC:

If a tank is travelling at 45 MPH, How fast is the track travelling?
Todd

Not many will answer correctly
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:54 AM UTC
Todd,
I think that syncs with what I tried to say (whether I actually said what I tried to say is another matter)

Ref your question: Links in contact with the ground are not going any speed at all (relative to the ground), but the links on top would be going roughly 90 in order to get ahead of the tank before it gets where it's going. Given roughly equal number of links on top and on bottom, the average speed of the entire track as a whole (i.e.: sum of the speeds of each link divided by the number of links) would be 45, thus the tracks keep up perfectly with the tank. Or rather the tank keeps up with the tracks depending on your perspective.

nick_pal
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 12:54 PM UTC
Hi Karl, as i am building the same kit from the same pics i thought id share my link and some of the info i have got from fellow modellers. Hope these help.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/236391

alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 12:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi

Yes the track "sag" changes/comes and goes under drive.

If you have access to Youtube check out this restored example coming off transporter into the compound at Bovington Tank Museum. Especially look at it around the three minute mark as it reverses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ntTQOgywEw

Alan
 _GOTOTOP