_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Tamiya Acrylic not suitable for hand painting
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 04:39 PM UTC
Hi everyone, I am rather new to this hobby, when I try to use Tamiya acrylic for hand painting (well shake before painting), it seems that the paint dry too fast out of the jar, and simply became too thick to use. I tried to add 50% thinner but that didn't help much either. In contrast, Vallejo paint is very handy for me on this task, I only needed to add a bit of tap water and it worked all the way though. Therefore, may I ask is Tamiya acrylic simply not designed for hand painting but airbrush, or any specific procedure I am missing? Any advises would be highly appreciated!
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 04:56 PM UTC
Famous paint is known for being more difficult to hand brush with. While difficult, it is not impossible. Tamiya paint should be thinned anywhere from 30-50% thinner, depending on the color. Thin with their own acrylic thinner, as it has a retarded built into it. Never brush over the same area twice without letting it dry (some people say 24 hours) or else the previous layer will come up in clumps.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 04:58 PM UTC
I always brush paint, and usually with Tamiya acrylic. So long as it dries properly between coats I've never had a problem, and never had to thin it! How long have you had that jar of paint!
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 05:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I always brush paint, and usually with Tamiya acrylic. So long as it dries properly between coats I've never had a problem, and never had to thin it! How long have you had that jar of paint!

My tamiya paints have only been bought for a couple of months, but for the last few weeks my room (where I store my paint) has been under a rather hot temperature, not sure whether that affected a bit.
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 05:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Famous paint is known for being more difficult to hand brush with. While difficult, it is not impossible. Tamiya paint should be thinned anywhere from 30-50% thinner, depending on the color. Thin with their own acrylic thinner, as it has a retarded built into it. Never brush over the same area twice without letting it dry (some people say 24 hours) or else the previous layer will come up in clumps.

Thank you for reply, I use the official Tamiya acrylic thinner, but didn't work out very well. Paint simply dry too fast on the mixing dish.
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 05:40 PM UTC
Hello Leung Chi Him,

I can't speak for others, but can tell you that I have the same experience as you when brush painting Tamiya acrylics.

I use Vallejo and other brands that work better for brush painting, and Tamiya for airbrush (which works great).

I have the opposite problem med Vallejo: great for brush painting, but I personally have had problems with them when airbrushing. They tend to clog up my airbrush, no matter how much I thin them.

Again, this is just my experience. I know a lot of modellers have great success brush painting Tamiya and airbrushing Vallejo :-)

Cheers,
Sven
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 06:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Leung Chi Him,

I can't speak for others, but can tell you that I have the same experience as you when brush painting Tamiya acrylics.

I use Vallejo and other brands that work better for brush painting, and Tamiya for airbrush (which works great).

I have the opposite problem med Vallejo: great for brush painting, but I personally have had problems with them when airbrushing. They tend to clog up my airbrush, no matter how much I thin them.

Again, this is just my experience. I know a lot of modellers have great success brush painting Tamiya and airbrushing Vallejo :-)

Cheers,
Sven

Sven, thank you for your advise, really appreciated, I have had the same experience with you, Tamiya is great on airbrush, while Vallejo always clog my airbrush but perfect for brush painting. Perhaps this is the nature of both paints and we are not supposed to go against it.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 03:42 PM UTC
No experience on Vallejo, but as I understand Vallejo has a line that's specific for airbrush use (?)
Mechworker
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 04:37 PM UTC
Tamiya can be made hand-brushable, but I find I have to mix just the right amount of de-ionized water and Future to the paint. The water thins it, but too much and the pigment precipitates out. The Future acts as an acrylic binder, helping to prevent this. Eventually, it will happen, but it's months, not hours, until the paint becomes unusable.

I hate Tamiyas, both for airbrush and handbrush. Sure, they airbrush fine, but if you have to touch them up by hand, like with a toothpick or something, the touch up is a different colour.

You know what doesn't do this, and what I find brushes and airbrushes equally well? Testors Model Master Acrylics. Those are the only paints I use now, except for Tamiya Flat White, which I cut with Testors MMA white to make it useable.

That's my two cents.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No experience on Vallejo, but as I understand Vallejo has a line that's specific for airbrush use (?)

Yes, they have the model air and game air lines which are formulated for airbrush use.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 10:34 PM UTC
Tamiya makes an acrylic paint retarder . You have to keep a wet surface on the Tamiya paints , means you have to paint faster with a brush . And don't paint from the paint bottle . Always take some out and put it in another container .
Axis23
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 10:58 PM UTC
I have the best luck with hand brushing Tamiya paint when I stir it every minute or two. I know it is a pain but that seems to work for me. I hand brushed the camo on my Char 1b by doing this method. If you look at my pictures I posted here on my profile you will see the results.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 12:27 AM UTC
Tamiya does make an enamel paint , same numbers just an X in front , and the bottles are smaller and squared .
manicmodeler
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 12:49 AM UTC
I have use Tamiya Acrylic for hand painting, I would stir the paint inside the bottle with a bamboo stick, then transfer a small portion onto a palette or spare bottle cap, add some water just a small amount, mix it, after that I can paint it on a model by hand.
 _GOTOTOP