_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Hummvee center post? Dayton Airshow
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 10:59 PM UTC
Took some photos of this Humvee June 20 as we were leaving the Dayton, OH 2015 Vectren Air Show. What is this center post feature behind the radios? I understand that this is an old truck now probably only used for recruiting support. Wondered what this center handle does? Thanks!

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:19 PM UTC
My first thought was for a remote camera. After looking through my photos, I see the control joystick and exterior mount are different than what your photo shows. Of course it could be a similar system from a different vendor.

amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:28 PM UTC
Thank you Robert. Nice photos! The more I look at the one from Dayton, it does look like a hard, fixed mounting ball of some kind. I appreciate the lead on the camera system's mount.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 03:59 AM UTC
Looks like a trailer hitch mounted like one for a gooseneck trailer but that'd be mounted pretty far forward. Most goose neck trailers have the mount about over the rear tires on pickups.
sneakypete
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 149 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 05:04 AM UTC
the ball is a mount for a monitor for the camera. It looks like the same one that BFT/FBCB2 screens are mounted on just in the center of the cabin not just on the radio mount in front of the TC seat.
Dan
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 05:07 AM UTC
That makes far more sense. Especially now that I see it with the aid of "enhanced vision."
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the ball is a mount for a monitor for the camera. It looks like the same one that BFT/FBCB2 screens are mounted on just in the center of the cabin not just on the radio mount in front of the TC seat.
Dan

So this goes with a blue force tracker system and the GPS antenna would mount on the bracket over the center of the windshield on the outside, right? I have yet to track down the bumper code's unit numbers...from http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/718trans.htm

The 718th Transportation Battalion Rodeo is held annually at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in southwestern Ohio, where all the transportation units within the battalion compete for the Coleman F. Davis award. Coleman F. Davis was an Army Sgt. 1st Class, the maintenance non-commissioned officer in the unit back in the 1970s and 80s. It was Davis who was instrumental in beginning the rodeo event for all the truck units within the battalion. Now it's an annual event with the 718th. The rodeo brings out maximum participation for unit members. The rodeo was held, Sept. 8-10, 2001. The 705th Transportation Company, Dayton, Ohio, won the tractor trailer competition. The 1001st Field Services Company, from Chillicothe and Columbus, Ohio, won the five-ton, 2 1/2 ton and High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle events.

Drivers from three transportation companies: the 705th and 656th, Springfield, Ohio, and the 454th, Columbus, Ohio participated. Also participating in the rodeo were two movement control teams: the 869th and 957th from Columbus, Ohio; and a field services support unit, the 1001st.
 _GOTOTOP