_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
First build for 10 years: Tamiya Mk IV Male
jamesp111
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 03:33 PM UTC
I present for your delight and amusement my first build for a decade: An OOB Tamiya Mk IV Male.

Notable products used:
The recommended Tamiya paints were airbrushed using a Badger 155 Anthem.
Micro-sol for the decals
Mig Productions Chipping Effects
Mig Productions pigments
AK Interactive OIF brown wash
AK Interactive Engine and Metal Weathering Set

Several of the steps used I had never tried before and were over-/clumsily done, specifically the chipping and spraying the mud along the bottom.
The sprayed mud came out a different colour to that on the tracks, due to colour change when the pigment dried.

I had no oil paints to filter with so used the OIF as both a pin wash and a filter. I think that worked well, although I have bought oil paints for next time.

Overall I'm really happy with the outcome.

Photos: These were taken with too narrow a focus; I'll improve that and the background next time.

High res photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132727817@N08/sets/72157655197749316
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 03:56 PM UTC
Well done James,

Your weathering looks great. I really like how you've brought the single colour Mark IV to life !
cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 491 posts
Armorama: 462 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 03:59 PM UTC
Great job. I like the light-colored mud, it varies the overall weathering.
zedhol
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 244 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 04:16 PM UTC
James, really nice job. As someone else said, great representation of a single colour. Glad I suggested this kit for you.

In your original thread you mentioned a T-55 next, good choice, though I do recommend looking at the Tamiya Char B as another poster suggested, another satisfying build.
jamesp111
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 05:40 PM UTC
Achieving the variation in the single colour is the point at which I said "I'm very happy with this model".
This was easy to obtain: I dashed bits of OIF wash roughly in the areas to darken, then wiped with white spirit to re-liquify it into a filter and moved it into the edges, crevices etc. and away from open spaces.
After it was dry I wiped more white spirit over the open areas to lighten them.
Considering it's a monochrome filter it came out well. I'm looking forward to seeing what a multi-coloured filter will achieve.

Graham: Thanks again for the recommendation. This is a great kit and combined with the really fun weathering effects, made this a very enjoyable model.

I did look at the WWII French tanks at the weekend when I went to Bovington Tank Museum, to see if I'd like to build one next, but just don't like their appearance.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 08:26 PM UTC
Overall, I'd say you did a pretty nice job on this. My only suggestion would be to vary the color on the exhaust a bit.

There are two points behind my thoughts. First, it's known that heat is a primary cause of rusting. The farther from the heat source, the less the effect. The other point is that metal, for the most part, doesn't rust evenly. There's going to be color variations showing up.

jamesp111
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 08:59 PM UTC
I agree on the rusting: Whilst I was thinking about it, I found one of my horses shoes loose in our field. It had only been off for a few days but had a real mix of silver, very dark rust and very light rust.

Next time I'll go for that effect.
 _GOTOTOP