_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon announces DAK Tiger
Oblivion
Visit this Community
Dodecanese, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 12:07 AM UTC
Fresh from Dragon USA

http://dragonusaonline.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=DRA6608

80 USD and DS Tracks. Nice going Dragon
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 12:14 AM UTC
And, it's a masterpiece. Dragon sez so.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 12:25 AM UTC
For the price it better be .
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
WOW AWESOME!!

That's like the first Tiger they've done in 12 days!!!
astralscooter
Visit this Community
Telemark, Norway
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Right, so after having had their Cyber-Hobby offering out of print for years, commanding insane eBay prices, they announce this effectively the day after a new, competing company announce theirs? It is a free market place and all that, but still. It only means Dragon have had this one ready all the time, and was just waiting for somebody else to make their move.

Guess there's little new under the sun. This have happened before, hasn't it.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So how does this not breach the coveneant that the cyber hobby will be the only offering? .

They broke this promise so many times already...

Cheers,

Christophe
Removed by original poster on 07/17/15 - 20:23:36 (GMT).
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 12:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

So how does this not breach the coveneant that the cyber hobby will be the only offering? .

They broke this promise so many times already...

Cheers,

Christophe

Promises, just like recently completed models, are meant to be broken. I'll grab the Rye kit and save 30 bucks.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So how does this not breach the coveneant that the cyber hobby will be the only offering?

Did DML actually promise never to release a s.Pz.Abt.501 Tiger apart from the Cyber Hobby offering?

David
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 12:52 AM UTC
Dragon parlance, from the PMMS review of the Cyber Hobby DAK Tiger I.

Quoted Text

"Cyber-Hobby.com is proud to present to you our very own line of high end plastic model kit products! Our model kits are designed specifically for Expert Modelers who demand only the Finest Quality products with many additional bonus parts and features. The topics and items that we choose are catered to the most die-hard Military and Modeling Fans. OEM by Dragon Models, our kits are limited to only One Production Run per item, and Quantities are Limited so you don't want to miss out on them!"

But of course you can play on words, mislead you customers and ultimately lose their trust, and business.

Cheers,

Christophe
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 12:53 AM UTC
Very nice,another winner.I really enjoy their Tigers,would prefer Magic Tracks though,my only complaint.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

our kits are limited to only One Production Run per item

Well, whatever the new kit may be like, I am sure it won't have the same contents as the 2006 release. I would guess that the metal shells and metal gun barrel, for example, won't be included. The sprues should be different too; DML now have better Tiger wheels, for example. And there's potential for more decals; the 2005 release didn't cover the 2nd company Tigers at all.

So, make of that what you will.

David
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 01:10 AM UTC
Given the many variants of the Tiger I, it seems perfectly logical to release OOB versions that will capture many, if not all, of the versions. My review of Academy's Tiger I (Late) was greatly helped by David Byrden, who has been assisting DML in getting their new Tigers closer to the real thing.

But my point is that even by the Late variant, there were many noticeable features about the Tigers that ended up in the field that make modeling them a challenge without the right parts.

As to DML's promises to keep Cyberhobby pure and pristine, I don't really care, since those kits have gotten ridiculously expensive. It's not Dragon's obligation to support a collector's market, and I for one am happy to have these variants available at normal prices.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 01:29 AM UTC
Gents this is like arguing is the sky blue or colourless. Dragon as a general rule does do German armour better than just about anybody else, I am also aware that they have fumbled the ball of late as regards contents and quality of some of their products. I am also aware that many of you want to see something different from them, but there are a lot of other choices out there now as regards manufacturers producing alternate and sometimes even competing offerings. This is really flogging a dead horse.
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 23:14:10 (GMT).
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 01:42 AM UTC
It's true that in the past they have marketed their white box items as limited editions but as already stated, they've released almost identical items further down the line in the Dragon range so that should have forewarned anybody buying kits as an "investment" rather than to build that it might not work out as planned.

This latest release is most welcome. I can't help feel a little bit sorry for those so desperate to own the original kit they paid well over the top for it but then the kit was never intended to be sold as a "never to be built, collectors" item.

The release by Rye Field does seem to have prompted Dragon to get their version finally released. Lets hope they also see that the competition can offer the kit at much reduced pricing to their offering and maybe they'll drop their prices accordingly.....well it's worth hoping for.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I may buy both offerings just to make sure Dragon stays on its toes.

I'm sure they're very nervous, waiting for you to complete your evaluation and pass judgement.

KL
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 03:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did DML actually promise never to release a s.Pz.Abt.501 Tiger apart from the Cyber Hobby offering?

Did anyone get that promise in writing? For those who did, what do you think your recourse will be as the injured party?

KL
acebatau
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 616 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 03:17 AM UTC
I wonder how is this one compares to the original release
Oblivion
Visit this Community
Dodecanese, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 04:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder how is this one compares to the original release

For starters, it wont have magic tracks, metal shackles and metal barrel. I dont think it will have anything more than the bare essential etch, similar really to the recent Tigers. But it will be more accurate and will have finer detail, making use of the newly tooled parts.
hanb7323
Visit this Community
Daejeon, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 05:56 AM UTC
This situation is fully predicted when Rye field initial Tiger kit appears. Dragon does not allow its competitors to break through its products encirclement or gap. Ha ha
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 09:23 AM UTC
Maybe one day we'll get some Magic Tracks again so we don't have to go round trying to find replacements for those rubber band type DS ones.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 10:07 AM UTC
It takes an unknown company to announce the release of an early tiger to prod dragon to release an afrika tiger two months early . I wonder if rye field did not announce anything what would dragon be doing something .? Well they might be raising the prices some more .
 _GOTOTOP