Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4A6 Sherman
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2015 - 11:51 AM UTC
Fun time. 12 nice little rivets to add to each rim...

Gary
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2015 - 02:54 PM UTC
Very time consuming but so very satisfying once the job is complete!
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 12:56 AM UTC
And faaaaar easier to add than PE rivets as supplied by some companies!

This is how this sort of part should be supplied with a number of additional parts for the required sacrifice to the carpet monster.

Paul
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 10:34 AM UTC
Not spares whatsoever so extreme caution is required!

Wheels and arms now complete....

All I can do until the other suspension parts arrive. Time to start on the turret next I think

Gary
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:47 AM UTC
It appears that a variety of turret types were used, but the most common seems to be a high bustle type with loader's hatch. The easy option would be to use one of TMDs resin offerings, but I'm going to use what I have in my spares box. The D78461(To be depicted as an early production type) comes from Dragon's M4A3 105 HVSS kit and is photographed below with a low bustle D50878 Tasca turret for comparison...

The differences are quite obvious with the loader's hatch but there are others. Aside from the higher bustle at the rear to aid clearance over the new larger hatches for driver and co-driver, the armour is increased on the gunner's side rather than relying on an applique plate. The pistol port also makes a reappearance after being dropped for a while due to ballistic concerns but its omission proved unpopular in the field. So the decision was eventually reversed. There is also the addition of a new sighting device and a later M3 75mm gun without the 'flared' barrel eventually appeared after the early 'stock' was used up. I'll also be fitting the 'improved' D69993 commander's hatch with torsion springs.
A factor of the kit itself shows a smaller turret ring on the DML turret which won't mate up with the Tasca opening. The turret ventilator is rather chunky in comparison with the DML one and the undercut for the cast cheek armour is pretty poor. So a little TLC is required to get this up to scratch....

Gary
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:10 PM UTC
Using a spare Firefly turret (hence the change in colour of the Tasca part), the turret ring has the lower part of the bustle removed. The DML part then has the turret ring removed, leaving the bustle undercut.

The front part of the Tasca ring needs a slight trim, but otherwise it is a decent fit of parts. A slight bit of filler is used - but to be honest, that's a bit OCD as it'll never be seen...

Perfect fit...

Stage 1 complete.

Gary
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 11:39 AM UTC
The turret aperture for the M34A1 gun mount is the incorrect size and won't accept a Tasca offering OOTB. The sides needed to be widened very slightly while the top edge has a shim of styrene added. The missing trunion bulge is grafted from a spare Tasca turret. Note also that the incorrectly sized turret ventilator has been removed in preparation for a more realistic one...

DML also got the cut out under the cast cheek armour wrong and that will need to be changed to make it more pronounced....

Gary
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 12:26 PM UTC
It's a real pleasure to watch this project as it moves along Gary, styrene craftsmanship at it's best.

Brent
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 01:38 PM UTC
Thank you Brett. Much appreciated

The machined undercut is improved and a new ventilator added. M34A1 mount is dry fitted....

Missing bulge is blended in....

Gary
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 03:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DML also got the cut out under the cast cheek armour wrong and that will need to be changed to make it more pronounced....

Gary, what did it look like before? I ask because the shape depended on the foundry making the turret, and the foundry making the turret depended on the plant making the tank.

KL
OddBall84
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 10:38 PM UTC
Another awesome build Gary, you are one of my examples and a source of inspiration.
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2015 - 03:43 AM UTC
Thank.

Kurt - pic is a few posts back. I've never seen a rounded chamfer but have no doubt you are correct. Noted for future builds

Turret is given a liberal coating of Mr Surfacer....

The smoke mortar aperture is too big IMHO so I've filled it and will drill a smaller hole. Spotlight mount and casting marks still to be added.

Gary
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 02:03 AM UTC
More progress. Casting marks are courtesy of Archer and placement is as per a turret featured in the SoS book. The loaders periscope is cut from a spare Tasca turret to ensure all 4 periscope plates look the same (DMLs offering is slightly different). The commanders cupola is usual split hatch type but is the later D69993 with equilibrator springs. This hatch is from my Tasca spares box though I can't remember which kit it's from. Some slight mods were required to back date it to an early type by removing the hatch locks and spring guards. Antenna base is a turned brass item from Lion Roar...

Gary
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 07:12 AM UTC
Commander's cupola done. .50 cal barrel holder is set in the folded position and is made using scrap PE and parts from the spares box. I've also added the small locking clip at the base for when it is raised....

Loader's hatch next....

Gary
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 10:21 AM UTC
I had to lose a part didn't I Put the loaders hatch down and it immediately donned a cloak of invisibility so had to make a new one from sheet styrene. WIP shot here showing ET Model PE hinge with 5amp fusewire spring and Meng styrene nut and bolt....

Gary
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 02:30 PM UTC
Hatch 99% done - just need to add the padlock clasp. The hatch stay latch is from ET Models and handle is 10 amp fusewire....

Gary
MVisser
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,679 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 05:36 PM UTC
wow well done sir
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 11:02 PM UTC
Thank you Martin

Gary
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 12:00 AM UTC
Very nice hatch detail work and very impressive recovery on the lost one!!!
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 11:01 AM UTC
Cheers Brent

Main gun is an M3 75mm. By this stage, the barrel was starting to be produced without the slight flare at the end, but given that some 11,000 units had been produced and ready to go, it would be a while before the newer style would be fitted to production vehicles. So I've used the earlier type here as supplied by Tasca. The .30 barrel is absolutely superb and is by Polish producer Master. The D68454 rotor shield gets some casting details courtesy of Archer...

And fixed to the turret....

Gary
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 01:48 PM UTC
Periscope guards - the bane of a Sherman modeller's life. Styrene ones are too chunky and PE ones too flat. I was hoping to be lazy and get away with the latter but with all the other work I've put into this, I've decided I can't live with the PE ones so some extra graft is required.
A little 5 amp fuse wire, some solder and lead foil punched discs later I came up with this....

Only 3 more to go, but much happier with the result.

Gary
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2015 - 09:25 AM UTC
Remaining periscope guards at various stages of construction....

Using PE guards as a template, 5 amp fuse wire is cut into sections. A simple H frame is made first, the cross bars being set to the required width and the assembly soldered together. The 'legs' are then cut to the required length, again using the PER part as a guide. The legs are then folded up, using a piece of scrap styrene as a former. They are then attached to the periscope base with CA gel and small pieces of die punched lead foil at the foot of each leg completes the assembly.

Gary
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2015 - 12:44 PM UTC
Remaining guards in place....

Still need to add the vane sight and chained cap for the searchlight mount.

Gary
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2015 - 12:54 PM UTC
Suspension parts arrived today...

Gary
OddBall84
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2015 - 01:07 PM UTC
Let me know how you like that because I am thinking of ordering such a set for my M4 composite build.