_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Takom: Armata Controversy
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 07:42 PM UTC

Takom have released an image of the box art for their T14 Armata. This one is causing some controversial comments before it is even released.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
David1988
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 08:37 PM UTC
In terms of markings, I think it might wind up with one overall green colour scheme, one parade markings scheme with the orange and black St George's ribbon, and you can see a "what if" three colour camo scheme in the box's top right corner. So Takom can have three separate schemes quite easily IMO. :-)
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 08:46 PM UTC
If you treat the kit as a prototype then what really is the issue? I mean not many people are bothered by the seemingly endless supply of paper panzers.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 08:56 PM UTC
While Trumpeter is doing a good job of turning my interests into more modern Russian, this one has no appeal what so ever. It kind of looks like a Leopard hull with a science fiction turret.

And from my point of view if the vehicle ever makes it to production and battle, with the shape of the turret, it looks to have too many flat un-slopes surfaces that will be prime targets.

Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 09:10 PM UTC
lol
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 09:28 PM UTC
The key features of the turret are top secret and they are covered up with thin and stylish metal sheets. Hence the science fiction shape. Actually, with modern anti-tank weapons the shape of the object has become irrelevant. This is a very immature design (or what they want us to believe), I wonder how much of the turret is actually functional.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 09:49 PM UTC
Yea,no interest in this vehicle for now.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 10:14 PM UTC
Hi;

I LIKE IT !!! --- BECAUSE---ITS DIFFERENT !!

CHEERS; MIKE.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The key features of the turret are top secret and they are covered up with thin and stylish metal sheets. Hence the science fiction shape. Actually, with modern anti-tank weapons the shape of the object has become irrelevant. This is a very immature design (or what they want us to believe), I wonder how much of the turret is actually functional.

I agree. This kit risks to have a good immediate appeal, but to become obsolete within a year or two, when new photos will emerge.
Probably the big changes will be on the turret only.
The T-15, as shown in parade, gives the idea to be closer to its definitive form.
BobSolo
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 12:05 AM UTC
Looks a bit LEGO, maybe the turret is camo'd with extra panels. Id much prefer this one http://www.rt.com/news/234363-armata-tracked-armored-platform/
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 12:25 AM UTC
For what it's worth, they just might be adding a couple of number options. No big deal here in my opinion.
Mig_Jimenez
Visit this Community
La Rioja, Spain / España
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hi guy, please, let me clarify that thing. Is not a controversy and I am shock that it provocate "nagative" comments. Of course the main vehicle is the GREEN one as seen in the parade, with the new STAR simbol....no problem about that. But we just included another 3 different alternatives of camouflage, like a hypotetic alternative, based in similar actual tanks like the T90 and Terminator. We will include color sheets to give inspiration and ideas to the modellers in case they want to paint a camouflage on it (sand, Brown and ochre, Green, sand and Brown, and Green grey yellow and black. Just hypoteic, and this will be explained in the color sheets. Few turrent numbers will be included. Since 2005 Russian army decided to use a dark Green for all new vehicles to save cost and standarice all vehicles, and I don't think they will modify that rule, but in case they decide to apply camos in the future, we suggest some options based in real stuff. That's all...no more worries about this please. If it disspoint too much to you guys, we will save our time and we will include in the future only the Green version.... ;-) I hope it can help to clarify the problem. Thank you!!

basiji
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 01:44 AM UTC
Why would anyone say it is controversial??? It's a new vehicle, and a kit manufacturer is representing it in miniature. What am I missing?
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 01:56 AM UTC
I think this release should be welcomed, this is a model of a vehicle seen on a parade. The actual vehicle is a prototype and will no doubt look different if and when it enters service.

Overall this will give modellers, that wish to buy it, a good base to build something different. I would imagine that this vehicle may well appear at one of the armament exhibitions. Yes I realise that it not everyone's choice of vehicle but there are plenty of other odd releases that confound us modellers.

Just my thoughts....
Pytagoras
Visit this Community
Møre og Romsdal, Norway
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why would anyone say it is controversial??? It's a new vehicle, and a kit manufacturer is representing it in miniature. What am I missing?

I would guess the controversy stems from the St.Georges ribbon that both the Russians used in their recent parade and the fact that the Russian backed and supplied "separatists" in eastern Ukraine is using it.
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
Armorama: 246 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 03:21 AM UTC
Takom is maybe hoping that they will sell enough of them before the serial production of the real thing starts. This might take years given the current economic downfall of Russia and the estimated cost of the tank. I dont think its controversial - its a kit of a real tank presented on a parade. But still nothing for me since I only build kits of armour which took part in actual fighting.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 04:00 AM UTC
I titled it as I did because of the comments turning up on facebook about this kit. It is the first time I can recall seeing a lot of negative comments on a Takom offering.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I titled it as I did because of the comments turning up on facebook . . .

Ah, OK, 'nuff said.

KL
thehermit
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 08:03 AM UTC
CONTROVERSY...??!! GEEZ...it's a frikkin MODEL KIT. I duuno WHAT these online "Experts" eat for breakfast, but they GOTTA change cereal brands...! It's something other than a damn PANZER. It was seen in REAL LIFE at a parade. It's a prototype. It's Russian...which means a lot o stuff is kept secret. and like I said up front...IT'S A FRIKKIN MODEL...!!!

Sorry for yelling so much, but for Pete's sake you "experts" chill out and rejoice that we are getting models that are VERY well molded, that we would never see in years gone by. Be thankful that these manufacturers are trying out different ideas for all us unwashed glue sniffers...!!

NUFF said...AGAIN...!
p.s....this rant aimed at the farcebook, twits crowd.
LT
mechaman
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 09:10 AM UTC
Controversy or not it is still one UGLY tank. Hruuumf
deathdork
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 10:06 AM UTC
You would have thought they suggested a pink and yellow paint scheme . . . .
basco
Visit this Community
Solothurn, Switzerland
KitMaker: 161 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 02:18 PM UTC
we model fans are cause of controversy quite a lot of time... ;-)
Dimitar
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 04:11 PM UTC
It's controversial because "it doesn't come with repair vehicle and it's totally unacceptable as this is only a prototype made out of gum, wire and paper, and will never make it into serial production as the russians are broke just like the Armata itself, and because..."
I think this summerises the FB/Forum reactions to the Armata, both in 1:1 and 1:35.
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 06:07 PM UTC
LOL again. those comments ))))

why panzer 46 crap is not controversial? something that never went from the drawing board.... people seriously model luft 46 or heer 46....

it is a built prototype. Like it or not. Just face it.

If you have problems with Russia/Russians - it is only your problem. Not Takom's or Russia's )))))

I am sure this kit will be a killer one. Will even try to build one myself.

Good luck, Mig!

Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 06:17 PM UTC
This whole subject is really funny.. but actually good for the kit

I've said it before.. there are others out there who, believe it or not, have different tastes.. and I believe they have a right to have those tastes I've also said that this kit will sell a lot because of all the commotion that surrounded it.. So, in fact, you guys are doing a great promotion for this kit.. I know a couple of guys who don't follow news and hadn't even heard about this tank.. and now they want to buy one

Keep up the good work.. Takom needs you

Hisham
 _GOTOTOP