_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Question about Sexton II colours
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 04:38 PM UTC
Hello all

Ok, so the parcel delivery dude delivered my new DML Sexton II kit (the one with the CDP tracks) from HLJ yesterday. I've resisted the urge to be like a giddy school kid & unpack every sprue & get started because this is one arty piece I've always wanted in my collection, however I've had a bit of a read over the instructions & done some net research & come up with some info regarding probable colours as delivered in '43 - which suits me fine if I wanted to model an 8th Army vehicle - which I can't find decals for anyhow.
However the instructions call out 4 vehicles (2 British, 1 Polish, 1 Canadian) all around '44/'45, all with suggested GS colour RLM 82 light Green. Which leads me to the obvious...
I know the relevant MTP for that period was for SCC15 which was meant to be the Brit equiv for U.S. #9 OD but darker. So why would the instructions ask for a lighter colour which I'm guessing is meant to be G3? Any thoughts from learned colleagues...
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Armorama: 423 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 04:54 PM UTC
I'd guess because they're quoting only one brand of paint and using the closest colour that range has.
Plenty of greens from other brands that will do. Mig has recently released a pack of British colours which includes SCC15. I've yet to try mine on a model but it looks a good match.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 05:52 PM UTC
Shaun

Units in Europe would be SSC15, but unit in Italy could be SSC2, depending on build date.

Kevin
PanzerGeek
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 221 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 06:41 PM UTC
Hataka Hobbys make a pack of WW2 British acrylic paints. The pack contains 6 x17ml bottles of British Army colours for European operations in WW2.

I get mine from Red Frog Hobbies. I hope you can fined the paint down under. This is Hatakas web site. http://hataka-hobby.com/

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Todd
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 07:16 PM UTC
The Sexton Mk II with the CDP track is nominally a later build vehicle. It would have been painted US OD at the factory and not repainted in the field.

Although SCC15 was the nominal standard Commonwealth paint for 1944 onward, vehicles made in Canada at that point were painted in US OD, as it was easier to obtain, and not repainted upon arrival in the UK. This goes for AFVs and softskins. The last CMPs were all painted in US OD.

A bottle of Tamiya Olive Drab will do the trick nicely. :-)

Paul
PanzerGeek
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 10:36 PM UTC
I am sorry but I have to disagree with some of what Paul is saying. With great respect to you Sir, I cannot find evidence that paint supplies were coming into Canada from the US during WW2. But some WW2 Canadian equipment I have in my collection come very close to looking like #9 OD. So at some point maybe some paints may have come up from the US. Or a close facsimile was made in Canada. But!
Canada did not accept American Lend-Lease aid. Actually Canada ran its own lend-lease program for its allies called "Mutual Aid", supplying its allies with four billion dollars’ worth of war materiel. A further credit of a billion dollars was given to Britain. So you would not have seen tonnes of paint coming across the border. Hence you would not see much US OD on Canadian made equipment.
Canada had its own paint companies like Canadian Industries Limited, CIL to supply paint to Canadian industry in WW2. All their Military colors would have been made to British/Canadian MoD, DND Specs. So most of the equipment sent to the UK would have had Commonwealth Colors from factory. The only Equipment I can think of that would have had the US OD on it would be the 188 Grizzly M4A1s built by Montreal Locomotive Works. That being said, I have found over the years of studding WW2, that anything is possible and there are many mysteries still to be solved.

Cheers

Todd
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hataka Hobbys make a pack of WW2 British acrylic paints. The pack contains 6 x17ml bottles of British Army colours for European operations in WW2.

I get mine from Red Frog Hobbies. I hope you can fined the paint down under. This is Hatakas web site. http://hataka-hobby.com/

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Todd

Well that's another thing added to the shopping list
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 02:41 AM UTC
Thanks for all your input guys. Most helpful. I think I should be ok for the British colours as I have Starmer's mixes to get me through. I posed the question about the RLM 82 colour though as I thought it odd DML would include this Gunze reference given they have listed their OD for all their other U.S. AFV's. If in fact this vehicle was painted OD. Or have they included this color ref as it is the closest in that range they could get to SCC15?
As a sidebar...does anyone have any info regarding 8th Army markings in Italy?
Thanks again
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 03:16 AM UTC
Bison Decals produce a sheet for the Royal Artillery in Italy. It doesn't have a Sexton but does include 3 Priests. Might be a good starting point as I would imagine most markings would be the same. I could really do with a good reference work on British units in Italy.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BD35090
PanzerGeek
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 03:29 AM UTC
Archer decals http://www.archertransfers.com/ have British 8th Army transfers. They have wet decals and dry transfers for all types of vehicles. PM me if you are looking for a particular unit I think I can help you with the transfers that you will need.

Cheers

Todd
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 - 08:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But!Canada did not accept American Lend-Lease aid.

Also with respect, it was never my intention to suggest that the US paint was lend lease, just that US OD was easier to obtain than getting Canadian companies to make a new colour.

Quoted Text

The only equipment I can think of that would have had the US OD on it would be the 188 Grizzly M4A1s built by Montreal Locomotive Works.

There are indications that the Grizzlies were all SCC2 Brown as they were all built before the change to SCC15/OD. The first Sextons would also have been SCC15, but the later Sextons and other late-war "green" vehicles were apparently painted in US OD on the Canadian shop floor.

I don't have the orders myself, but I have seen enough post from people quoting order numbers that seem to suggest that US OD was the paint used. As SCC15 was supposed to mimic US OD, I don't see that as a stretch.

Paul
PanzerGeek
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2015 - 12:48 AM UTC
Sorry Paul. I didn’t think that it was your intention to suggest anything about lend lease. That was just some interesting FYI and I should have labelled it as such. I also have to correct myself on the number of the US OD. By 1944 it would have been A/N 319 and not #9. The only order I have ever seen is marked April 1944 ACI 533 authorising SCC15 Olive Drab for use as the new base colour. So for me it is what I go off of when painting any of my Canadian made vehicles until I find another that will contradict it. Like you said Paul SCC15 and US OD was not much of a stretch and I would never mock someone for using one or the other. It is nice to have a lot more accurate options for model paint these days. At the end of the day it is our hobby and you should do what makes you happy.

Todd
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 03:28 PM UTC
Hey Todd

PM inbound

Cheers
Shaun
 _GOTOTOP