_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Mig, AK etc weathering products?
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 368 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 05:05 PM UTC
Hi all, for a long time I was decal and finish type of guy. Then the more I got back into modelling the more I wanted to try more advanced finishes.

I have tried a few times over the last couple of years but with no real success with doing washes. So I am now tempted to try and use some of the newer products on the market as opposed to more traditional oil wash to see if that works better for me until I get a better or at least more experience handle on things.

So any experience or advice would be great before I order some of these products (No dedicated model/hobby shop within 150K's so limited to internet orders which I have been lax to do with non kit items until now).

Also any advice on weathering powders as well. Have had some success with using pastels but colour range is kinda limited in my area.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 06:23 PM UTC
Hi,
The point with these products is that you can see how thin they are and colours used so once you master them you can start experimenting on your own with oils or enamels, so go ahead and get a few bottles from your favourite brand.

As for pigments, I would say they are quite different from pastels, so absolutely recommendable to get them. A few shades of brown, black and steel should be enough to start.

Good luck and post photos of your results!
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 07:40 PM UTC
Some useful videos on YouTube to help you get started.. and if you do a search you'll find a lot more on YouTube and a lot of very helpful tutorials.

Good luck
Hisham
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 08:54 PM UTC
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/239160&page=1

Check out this video. It walks you through using all of Ammo of Mig products, which are very easy to use. I recommend Ammo of Mig for consistency and usefulness.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 09:37 PM UTC
Vallejo has come out with some cheap pigment powder line....cheaper then Mig etc.. Vallejo also have cheap washes .They are Acrylic however. Mig washes are enamel & need to be thinned in my opinion.
Master modellers finish their builds in several "layers". Drying time becomes very important between layers. Keeping track of each layer is important...ie enamel primer-> acrylic base-> acylic camo-> clear coat -> decals-> matt coat-> enamel washes-> acrylic chipping paint->matt coat-> pigments-> etc...etc...
That is only an example..there are several ways but keep track because if you put enamel washes over enamel camo coat..it will start to lift your paint..mess it up...
Mig has some good vids online.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 10:49 PM UTC
Here's a link to Ammo of MIG's YouTube Channel .. you'll find a bunch of videos here.

Hisham
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 368 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2015 - 04:51 AM UTC
Thankyou all for the reply's and information, armed with this off to do some research and ordering
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2015 - 06:49 AM UTC
Artists oils, or 502 abteilung paints, can be thinned with artist grade turpentine and work great for washes. You should also look at Wilder pigments and washes
jomark
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2015 - 11:55 PM UTC
initially I was using mig pigments but Vallejo pigments are by far cheaper per weight. Now I'm trying to move from pre-made washes and filters and started stocking up on abteilung oils but I haven't gone into it just yet
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 12:59 AM UTC
And here is a how-to article by one of the icons of weathering and 'artistic license' line of modelling who has a range of his own brand weathering products as well:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/1221
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Most washes and filters can simply be created by mixing high quality oil paint with with artist's grade turpentine or mineral spirits. I think a lot of Migs instructional videos and manuals are way too much about product placement than legitimate brand neutral instruction.

Fully concur.
There is nothing in those "magic" products except marketing tricks! You can achieve the same results with way cheaper materials available in artist's shop.

Olivier
 _GOTOTOP