_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
My Cover up Dio
Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 05:39 PM UTC
Finally finished it! the dio is based on Tamiya´s German Mortar team. It was my first attempt to make a flag and sandbags, but i think they come out nice!
Please let me known what you think about my small dio!Any comments are welcome!
The photos are in my galery, because i don´t know how to put them here.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 06:55 PM UTC
hi there,
Tamiya mortar team is a good in quality and details. I like the painting of figure but some shading would make them better. The groundwork is very good,especially the mortar pit is well done. Honestly I didnt like the flag as the other,i think you can do a bettter flag as you read the article of Wouter

how to submit images
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 07:15 PM UTC
This is a nice attempt u have done there.besides Graywolfs remarks i d like to say some more to help.
1) The rock's distribution on the gound is a lil "normal" and i d like it lil more random.
2) the rifle looking towards the soldiers should be looking the other way , just in case of accidental firing !
3)the inside of the trench i a lil clean for having 3-4 people operating in it.
4) i ve seen some gaps in hands joining the bodies that could have been made a lil better.
Thats all go on to the next work my friend
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 03:26 AM UTC
Lots of nicely done mortars coming up for this Cover Up Campaign... I love it!!

To add to the above, the laying of your personal weapon flat on the ground like that is a no-no and your 1st Sgt (or equiv.) would go ballistic on you! You need to treat your PW better than you would treat your best friend. The tail end of that panzerfaust could be blocked with dirt and a problem when fired.

I do not see any grenade sumps in that hole. That crew would be hurtin' for certain if someone tossed a pineapple in there.

There could be some sort of interconnecting trench to this somewhat of a permanent position for the distribution of ammo and also for a way out other than 'over the top'. My opinion only.

You guys with these mortars are certainly getting me going again... been struggling with 'modeler's block' for a few weeks now, so thanks for lighting a fire under my butt!

Some 'seamage' showing there but other than the above, this is a great idea and very nicely done! Maybe more dirt around the brim of that hole would work also.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 04:00 AM UTC
The flag has two problems for me.
First is a historic type issue. I don't know if Germany at the time had the kind of flag etiquette the United States has, but here it would be a major lapse in flag etiquette to lay a flag the way you have yours.
Second is a modeling concern. It's very difficult to paint a flag. No question about that and getting lines straight, square and even is next to impossible for most of us. Try this next time:
Download an image of the flag you want from software or the internet, or scan a flat image of the flag in question and save it as a .jpg image. You may need to use a photo program to do that but it's just a matter of opening the picture and doing a "File-Save as" command and choosing the .jpg format form your list of options.
Next start a new word document and insert the flag picture as you would clip art.
You can resize the flag to scale in the word processor.
Print this on white paper at the highest quality your printer will allow.
When the ink has dried, seal them wiht decal saver or a spray of clear laquer.
When this has dried, cut the flag out a using a sharp #11 and straight edges.
Apply some diluted white glue to the back side and allow the paper to soften.
Drape the flag where you want it and gently nudge it into the folds you need.
Allow it to dry and you have a nice looking, nearly scale thickness flag that has the natural drape of cloth.
You may need to touch up the edges if the white paper shows.
If you are doing one where both sides are visible, simply do a mirror command in the photo program and insert the two images end to end in your word program and fold them over after softening the paper with the diluted white glue. You can get nice furls and draping hile the material is still damp.

Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 05:44 AM UTC
thanks for your comments guys!
I will read some articles and i'll try to make a better one.
One more question; did you like the sandbags? I made them using a 2 part epoxi
Thanks again!
Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:41 AM UTC
Hey guys! I changed my flag, Hope you like it!:
 _GOTOTOP