_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Pz. Kpfw IV Ausf G - 1:48
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 07:45 AM UTC
Hey Fellas,

I had the opportunity to grab Tamiya's 1/48 Pz. Kpfw. IV Ausf H recently. The thought was to have a little fun slinging some paint and not be bogged down with a long drawn out building process prior. Hence the Tammy kit! I actually picked up the kit from right the main office here at Armorama...by the time I am done, I will probably toss together a build review/feature type thing.

If you are interested in checking out the kit, Jim Starkweather put together a decent video walk-through of the kit:

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/11183

So I guess it's off to the races! Here are a couple of quick shots of what I have to work with.

This kit is pretty much the same as Tamiya's previous releases of the Pz. IV in this scale but with one added sprue containing new side-skirt armor and a couple of other small parts.

As you'd might guess, Being a Tammy kit this just easy to work with. A quick look at things shows me a few EPM's to contend with...but nothing to write home about...all part of the game I suppose.

Clean up has been quick to start with and the suspension went together like a breeze!

Always wanting to get the monotonous stuff out of the way, I did manage to tackle cleaning up the wheels!

I decided to try and give Tamiya's Zimmerit set for this kit a whirl...

Looks to be something I can work with.

Okay then, back to the bench! I don't think the construction will take too long, so with any luck, I might even get to slinging some of that color soon!

Thanks for stopping by!!
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:28 AM UTC
You're off to a fast start, looking good. Is the Zim self-adhesive?
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:48 AM UTC
I'm about to start this in 1/35th scale.

Looks good! Can't wait to see more progress.

Cheers,
Dustin
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:08 PM UTC
Thank you Colin! Yes, the Zimm is self adhesive. For some of the sections there is more than one option of paste design which is nice and a good size extra section not outlined to play with.!

Thank you Dustin! I seen your post just before checking in here...a "J"...Nice! I have one or two 35th versions waiting to go myself...LOL! Just waiting for some things to clear off the bench!
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:12 PM UTC
interesting to see your progress on that one. I also have the kit and zimm...
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:24 PM UTC
I wasn't aware Tamiya even had those Zimm decals. Seems much easier than doing zimm by hand and cheaper than resin or PE. Has anyone ever done a product review on KMN for that?

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:43 PM UTC
Hi Ya Roman! Personally I will purchase the tickets to sit and watch when you attach yours my friend!! Going to see like you building in 1/16 coming from those mini Flyhawk kits....which are just awesome if you ask me!!

Mark...I wasn't aware until it showed up in a google search myself! I took a quick look through the Tamiya reviews and didn't find any reviews...going to go with a no on that one!

Without getting into a full blown review, the set was fairly cheap...about $8...at least the one I found on Ebay. I found a local seller (USA) and the shipping was $1.99 if I remember correctly - Omnimodels - http://www.ebay.com/usr/omnimodels?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754 Took about 4 days for it to show up...so a thumbs up to the seller!

The adhesive is sufficiently sticky and holds really well, just make sure that the surface is clean...as you would figure. Cutting out the smaller jogs in the template lines can be a bit trying as they are small...but certainly not impossible. I made the attempt to drill out the sections where the bolt heads are located. This worked, but some of the material remained and needs to be trimmed and pressed down around the bold heads a couple times to get it to seat well. If you have a Punch and Die set...like RP Toolz or something, it might be best to find the right size and cleanly punch them out.

Other than that...we will have to see how things look once I get to the painting end of this game!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 06:14 PM UTC
Those 1/48 kits are pretty cool got me started in armor.The zimm is a nice addition.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 07:32 PM UTC
Thanks Anthony! Not being one to build in 1/4 scale, I am liking this one! Easier on the wallet from 35th and easier on the eyes from the 72nd! LOL!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 06:23 AM UTC
Okay then...as I mentioned somewhat before, I like a quick build sometimes...This Tammy kit has lived up to the 'shake-n-bake' stigma! For me, that term is of endearment!!

Quick and Dirty...just how I like it! There were some EPM's on the inside of the turret Schützen, on the sides of the brackets for the Schützen as well as under the fenders and the inside of the tracks. Ask me if it bothers me...the answer will be nope! The brackets cleaned up with a light sanding, the inside of the Schützen wrap (similar to a chicken Cesar Wrap...but different! ) I just filled and sanded and although I have not gotten to the tracks as of yet...I suspect anywhere from a light sanding and weathering might do the trick on this one!

The Zimmerit went on fairly well.I was able to cut out some small sections to try and give a chipped effect. I chose not to employ the sections given for the exterior of the Schützen. I thought enough was enough...LOL!! I am strongly considering not using the side skirt armor either. Tamiya did do a nice job on the newly molded one-piece setup, but just not felling it this time around!

The barrels were a last minute thought and procured from RB Model...great look in this scale, cheap and from Poland to the US in 5 days...could not go wrong!

This would be off to the booth for some primer, but not wanting to temp fate with the amount of rain we are getting, I will hold off until it passes!! As always, Thanks for stopping in for a bit!!
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 08:33 AM UTC
That looks so good!! The zim and metal barrel look killer.

I can't wait to see what you do with paint and weathering. Ill be watching closely.

Cheers,
Dustin
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 03:56 PM UTC
Thanks Dustin! Things fell together nicely I thought! Now just the waiting for the rain to clear out and I can maybe sling some primer!!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2015 - 04:18 PM UTC
Sometimes all you need is a dry day to keep things moving! The rains subsided and things dried out enough and I was able to lay down some primer.

I will set aside a little time this afternoon I think to mess with a top coat of something, but it's a start!
Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 304 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2015 - 05:00 PM UTC
Its coming along nicely Todd, I have a hard time with anything smaller than 1/35
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2015 - 06:56 PM UTC
I like it!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2015 - 11:45 PM UTC
Thanks Robert! LOL...me too my friend! We all get to that point we need better magnification....even in 35th!

Thanks Dustin!! Might be sneaking in to the booth in a little while!
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2015 - 11:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Robert! LOL...me too my friend! We all get to that point we need better magnification....even in 35th!

Thanks Dustin!! Might be sneaking in to the booth in a little while!

Awesome! Looking forward to that.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 05:19 PM UTC
Worked the color a bit! I laid down a dunkelgelb base and grab some "appropriate" colors for the camo.

I wasn't too worried on the final camo application as my plan, if that is what I can call it, was to chip back the camo. Managed to chip things, add some decs and pop some wheels on to see how things look!

Pretty sure the next step will be a somewhat worn white wash to break things up! As always, thanks for stopping in!!
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 07:06 PM UTC
hmmmm. I also have plan for white wash.... also have zimm also metal barrel... ))

but I think I will rework the side skirts...

ps love that red primer from Vallejo. too bad I am out of it
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 07:11 PM UTC
Looks killer, great job!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 05:36 AM UTC
Well Roman, I would say great minds think alike...but I cannot include myself in on that statement! LOL! I am however, looking forward to seeing you attack on this kit!! The red primer is a nice change from my typical black! Made it easier for some see-thru spots where the paint might have been lighter!

Thanks Dustin! Much appreciated!

And just like that...paint the darn thing basically white and see what comes of it!

A subtle color change with two separate colors for the WW. A decent filter and washes should make some things pop!

I will be hitting some weathering next...thanks for tuning in!!
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 05:44 AM UTC
Wow. That is such nice work! I'm jealous!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 08:35 AM UTC
Thank you Dustin! With any luck I might hit the bench tomorrow and see what this looks like under a good washing!!
Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 304 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 04:18 PM UTC
Todd it is coming along very nicely.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 06:44 PM UTC
Thank you Robert...I appreciate the kind words!

Some playtime to start! I managed to get some chipping in and a quick wash to bring out some tones!

I still have the tracks to work on at some point as well as working on the exhaust and whatnot! Thanks for hanging about!
 _GOTOTOP