_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Something I've Been Tinkering with.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 07:34 PM UTC
That's a sh*tload of tinkering!!
Very nicely done!
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a sh*tload of tinkering!!
Very nicely done!

Ho Ho Ho, that's funny, I like that

Keef.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 08:13 PM UTC
Well the fine detail on the pack is nearing an end with just a few more steps to go. A little miniature masking tape and a few minor details to paint and at least the pack will be done. An important part of this Vignette.

Here are a some views of what has been added to the pack over the last two days. Mainly weathering and touch painting.

The fans, fan belts and radiators are in place.

The fitting and installation of the three fan belts and matrix did cause me a few moments of inward cursing but they look OK to me.

The left side radiator in the up position adds some interest I think.

The radiator guards and handles took a little time and patience to make and install but well worth the slow going.

As you can see, the groundwork has now dried out and awaits a top coat of fine sand, a few stones and perhaps a small desert plant or two.

Once the groundwork is done everything will be set in place with a touch of White glue.
The lifting beam set assembly will follow on and then the figures.

Thanks for looking in.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 04:50 AM UTC
The lifting beam has been assembled along with the chains and lifting eyes. base coat of paint applied, more to come.

The chains are twenty links long and have to be shortened using the shortening hooks contained within the kit, just like the real thing.

Once the chains are correctly adjusted the crane and beam would then be able to lift the old pack up and onto the pannier.

Keith.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 06:39 AM UTC
Superb, Keith, just superb.

I just need to do some "tinkering" like you to get a model or two finished.

I can't wait to see this next week, and get some newer pictures for our website.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 05:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Superb, Keith, just superb.

I just need to do some "tinkering" like you to get a model or two finished.

I can't wait to see this next week, and get some newer pictures for our website.

Well I guess I could be persuaded to bring the thing along to the meeting if you insist

OK I'll bring it...

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 07:28 PM UTC
Well some movement forward and the base has now received a dusting of fine sand from Woodland Scenics railroad products as well as a few small stones and a scrub plant or three..

The whole thing air brushed with three different colors and the ARRV set in place to allow things to dry.
On Sunday I will remove the vehicle and pack and finish the detail work on both before starting on the figures and finishing the base..

The lifting beam chains have been shortened and now requires final painting. I have hooked it in place for overnight safe keeping.

I also need to measure and finalize the information plate details and get it made at the local trophy shop.

Simple details now require some attention and adding, Oil can, tool box, personal weapons, open boiling vessel (BV.) with ration cans inside, bottles of water, a cloth or two (rags) and some taping up (sealing) of certain pipes, hoses and leads on the pack.

Thanks for looking in gents.

Keith.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2016 - 08:46 PM UTC
Just found this build and I really like it! Impressive.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 05:46 PM UTC
Nearly there but a lot of small details to finish.

The devil is in the small stuff, it takes time and lots of moving things (figures and accessories) around many times.

The right side is about complete methinks.

Gotta have the BV. but I doubt it will stay where it is now.

Personal weapons and pack details still require sorting out.

I will stop by the Trophy shop on my way to work either today or tomorrow and order the information plate, that always makes the whole thing look much nicer.

Have a great day.

Keith.
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:05 PM UTC
Very nice. Any rational for the standing figure to be leaning and not more involved? Is he strictly the crane operator?
bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:18 AM UTC
that is one very cool build,thanks for shareing.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 06:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice. Any rational for the standing figure to be leaning and not more involved? Is he strictly the crane operator?

No not really, but he is the vehicle commander and most likely will operate the boom controls when the pack has been sealed and made ready for lifting up and storage on the pannier by the other two chaps.

All three crew members are Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers (R.E.M.E.) and no doubt all able to operate the crane but they will also have qualified individual course skills as well.

The driver is normally a certified recovery mechanic (recemech) as well as being a technician (Mr. fixit)... The second crew member a qualified electrical mechanical engineer.

The commander usually has a few years of experience under his belt and cross traded, able to carry out all of the tasks related to crewing the ARRV.

He will have rank on his arm and may be a junior or senior NCO, possibly a certified artificer (Sgt and above).

It isn't unusual in areas of combat to find a fourth member added and he may well be a 'Gun Fitter' as well as a mechanic.

In this case a disabled MBT has a new powerpack and left the area, leaving the ARRV crew to ready the disabled unit for transporting back to a holding area.

Hope that helps.

Keith.
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 05:50 PM UTC
Thank you for the back story. You have done some beautiful and challenging work on this one and others.
Have you ever tackled a scene featuring the disabled tank with engine bay opened, REME vehcile & crew with replacment engine possibly troubleshooting or preparing to swap engines? I can only imagine how busy the inside of an engine bay with the engine in it and all the related sub-systems would be.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you for the back story. You have done some beautiful and challenging work on this one and others.
Have you ever tackled a scene featuring the disabled tank with engine bay opened, REME vehcile & crew with replacment engine possibly troubleshooting or preparing to swap engines? I can only imagine how busy the inside of an engine bay with the engine in it and all the related sub-systems would be.

It has crossed my mind and it was rumored at one point that AA was going to produce a 'drop in' upper half engine/transmission module for the Tamiya Challenger One with a replacement set of decks.

That would make things a doable option especially as the Chally one and Chally two powerpacks are very similar (minor differences).

Now the Takom Chieftain's are out and AA has produced the Engine and transmission kit for Chieftain (a much simpler build) the same would apply in regards to an upper half of either item and a set of decks being needed.

This could then be mated with AA's Warrior Medium Repair Vehicle (Recovery) conversion (kit. C030. FV512/FV513 Warrior MRV(R)/MCRV.) and the Academy Warrior kit to complete the scene.

I don't like scratch building much but 'tinkering' with vignettes is very satisfying.

Keith.
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 01:21 AM UTC
Which REME vehicles or armour with a crane would have the lift capacity to pull a MBT engine? I would assume the Stalwart REME and the Foden 6 x 6 along with Chieftain and Challenger ARV could. Would the FV434 or the Warrior ARV be able to?
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 07:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Which REME vehicles or armour with a crane would have the lift capacity to pull a MBT engine? I would assume the Stalwart REME and the Foden 6 x 6 along with Chieftain and Challenger ARV could. Would the FV434 or the Warrior ARV be able to?

The REME 434 can lift the Chieftain engine and transmissions and did so quite frequently

The Warrior Medium Repair Vehicle (Recovery)-MRV[R] with spade (FV513) can lift the Challenger 1 and 2 packs.

The Stalwart REME version with 'Atlas' crane would not be able to lift the Challenger pack and I believe they were out or going out of service when Challenger replaced Chieftain.

The Foden 6X6 would be able to do the job.

Hope that helps.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 06:30 PM UTC
So here is where things stand as of yesterday afternoon.

Information plate and badges in place, and now down to the nitty gritty details that still need to be sorted out.

Some of the details.

A little tidying up around the base still needs taking care of and some fine sand needed..

More work left to do on the figures but here is where they will be placed when finished (I think).

Some miniature re sealing tape has been applied to the pack.

Thanks for looking in.

Keith.
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 - 02:32 AM UTC
Like always, looks amazing and I can't wait to see it in person.

Tony
majjanelson
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 - 03:12 AM UTC
Keith,

I agree with Tony.

When close up pictures begin to look like photos of the real thing, you know you are doing good.

You're on the last corner rounding to the finish line, sir.
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 - 02:56 AM UTC
Got to this beauty up close and in person and it's truly amazing! Another great diorama Kieth! Well done!
bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 - 11:20 AM UTC
all I can say is wow.very very nice work.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 05:47 PM UTC
Well I think I have tinkered enough with this vignette/diorama and will call it for all intent and purposes, "Finished"...

I inserted a dark Blue background under the information plate to give the REME and 7th Armoured Brigade badges some definition.

I have also taken care of the figures.

All that is left to do now is lightly spray a flat coat on certain areas and add a small amount of sand around the feet and rear end of the two figures posed by the powerpack.

The pictures may look the same as before but some things have been added and or redone.

Non of this could have been completed without the models and conversions obtained from Accurate Armour (Scotland).. My thanks to Derek Hansen and his team.

Thank you all for following along as this came together.

With the new Chieftains from Takom and soon to be available Meng kits on the market I hope that Accurate Armour continues to provide these wonderful conversions for British military MBT's and AFV range, adaptable to the new base kits that seem to be coming along in droves..

Have a great week.

Keith.
 _GOTOTOP