_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
"Hitler's Revenge"
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 11:13 PM UTC
Reading about the 251-series German APC's, I saw that postwar Czechoslovakia used them for their army because there were no Soviet APC's, and said vehicles were unpopular and nicknamed "Hitler's Revenge". I assume they were simply used for maneuvers?
TonyDS
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hello,

After the war, the Chechs build their own variant of the Sd.Kfz. 251, named OT-80. Thats probably the one they refer to.
Its also the variant U see most when re-enactors use it as 251.

Hope this help a bit.

Tony
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 07:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Reading about the 251-series German APC's, I saw that postwar Czechoslovakia used them for their army because there were no Soviet APC's, and said vehicles were unpopular and nicknamed "Hitler's Revenge". I assume they were simply used for maneuvers?

The OT-810 was built for the Czech Army a decade after the war, and followed the basic design of the SdKfz 251 halftracks, which had been built in Czechoslovakia during the war. The design was changed, though, as the engine compartment was longer, the rear panel was vertical, and the vehicle now had a roof. Also, the tracks were an all-steel design instead of being rubber-padded. The vehicles were cramped, with little headroom--hence the nickname, "Hitler's Revenge."

Many have been repurposed in recent decades to resemble German halftracks for reenactments and motion pictures.
astursimmer
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 01:22 AM UTC
I had the chance to see a running OT-80 in Saumur museum, and the engine was so noisy that it was the last vehicle you ever wish you have for a surprise attack
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 01:53 AM UTC
Does anyone do a decent conversion set or does it have to be a scratch project?
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not aware of any conversions. When you see the real vehicle. you'll see that every part is similar to a wartime halftrack, but slightly modified. Really, apart from the road wheels perhaps, there is very little from the base kit that could be used, so it would really be a full resin kit, not a conversion.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not aware of any conversions. When you see the real vehicle. you'll see that every part is similar to a wartime halftrack, but slightly modified. Really, apart from the road wheels perhaps, there is very little from the base kit that could be used, so it would really be a full resin kit, not a conversion.

I think that the correct designation is OT-810 ;-) (googling OT-80 returns a tow crane and some electro-optic device)
OT-810 in some kind of winter re-enaction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YeGlz6DTEQ notice the different tracks ...

and this is the 1/35 version (resin, full kit, TB Models) :
http://www.tbmodels.cz/1-35----ot-810-late-version.html

Link to pdf-document containing a description/history and assembly instructions with photos of the parts :
http://www.tbmodels.cz/files/M3503-navod.pdf

I will try to get some time and do an in-box quick review sometime in the near future .....

/ Robin

_GOTOTOP