_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Anyone built RyeFields new Tiger 1?
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 06:15 AM UTC
Seems like it might be a good kit but it would be interesting to read what people on here think.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 06:21 AM UTC
http://www.track-link.com/forums/site_blogs/25802
http://www.track-link.com/forums/site_blogs/25787
http://tiger1.info/models/products/RM5003

In summary; lots of pieces, some fit problems, annoying accuracy problems, crew rooms have everything above a certain size, engine compartment is missing a lot of stuff.

David
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 06:28 AM UTC
There was a build log right here called The Tale of Two Tigers

Here it is

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/238998#2016031

Sorry this is the one without the interior
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 03:15 PM UTC
But all in all it looks just the way it was expected: the interior components are far more accurate than in the Academy kit and 'a tiny bit' less expensive than Model Factory Hiro offering.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 10:27 PM UTC
Is the interior based on the MFH version? Apparently that kit had a couple of annoying accuracy problems as well.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 10:29 PM UTC
They look very similar at first glance, but MFH provided a lot of items that Rye Field left out.
More telling; they don't make the same errors. I think that Rye Field used a lot of publicly available photos and diagrams, rather than copying MFH.
I do not think that they surveyed a real Tiger.

David
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 12:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In summary; lots of pieces, some fit problems, annoying accuracy problems, crew rooms have everything above a certain size, engine compartment is missing a lot of stuff.

David

Dang, and this was going to be the Tiger I brought for Christmas. Never mind, thanks for the details.

Kylie
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They look very similar at first glance, but MFH provided a lot of items that Rye Field left out.

Yup. RFM didn't include the necessary magnets for the suspension.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 02:48 AM UTC
They omitted the internal fire extinguisher on the floor, the racks and supports in the underfloor ammunition bin, all of the water pipes around the engine along with the drive shafts for the fans, and the linkages for the turret traverse wheel.
These are the same parts shown in the MFH instructions.

MFH provide a large number of decals for the inside of the Tiger. Rye Field have none.

David
astralscooter
Visit this Community
Telemark, Norway
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 12:08 PM UTC
Do we have to keep reminding ourselves that the MFH kit costs about 6 times as much as the RFM offering, and the only relevant kit to compare the RFM kit to in that respect, is the Academy kit? And that we get a Tiger I with (almost) full interior for less than a re-issued Dragon Tiger without interior (or any of the goodies originally in the kit)? And workable tracks instead of DS...

If you have built a few kits before, you will probably have a standard fire extinguisher in the spares box, the ammo supports can be carved from a bit of plastic and the internal lettering (for two tanks) can be had from Archer for under $7 (if you choose the AFT sheet, you will get lettering for the Panther as well).

The engine tubing and drive shaft missing, is both strange and annoying, though. I do trust TMD to offer some of this eventually though. The tubing could be represented with some bent wire of the proper diameter as well.

I'm following the build reviews on Track-Link closely, I have the kit in the stash, and to me it looks like the only reasonable thing to do with your Academy kit, is to blow it up with fire crackers.

But, surely, the quest for the Ultimate Tiger I with interior is still on, as the MFH is not flawless either. I wonder what a perfect kit will cost?

Arild
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 01:26 PM UTC
Just found out about this kit !

I will have to look up the price and UK availaility and maybe purchase it.

You never know maybe I will eventually finish my Tiger 1
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 05:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do we have to keep reminding ourselves that the MFH kit costs about 6 times as much as the RFM offering, and the only relevant kit to compare the RFM kit to in that respect, is the Academy kit? And that we get a Tiger I with (almost) full interior for less than a re-issued Dragon Tiger without interior (or any of the goodies originally in the kit)? And workable tracks instead of DS...

If you have built a few kits before, you will probably have a standard fire extinguisher in the spares box, the ammo supports can be carved from a bit of plastic and the internal lettering (for two tanks) can be had from Archer for under $7 (if you choose the AFT sheet, you will get lettering for the Panther as well).

The engine tubing and drive shaft missing, is both strange and annoying, though. I do trust TMD to offer some of this eventually though. The tubing could be represented with some bent wire of the proper diameter as well.

I'm following the build reviews on Track-Link closely, I have the kit in the stash, and to me it looks like the only reasonable thing to do with your Academy kit, is to blow it up with fire crackers.

But, surely, the quest for the Ultimate Tiger I with interior is still on, as the MFH is not flawless either. I wonder what a perfect kit will cost?

Arild

It's just a discussion
astralscooter
Visit this Community
Telemark, Norway
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 05:51 PM UTC
Of course it is. Just pointing out that comparing a Porsche to a Lada is possibly a bit unfair?

Arild
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 06:21 PM UTC
Well, I'm comparing this model to what Rye Field wrote on the box; "Full Interior".

MFH are merely a way to illustrate things.

David
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 09:24 PM UTC
Well, I guess it's about time for me to ask my standard Tiger question- does anyone know if I can build or (get close) S33 from das Reich out of this?
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 09:29 PM UTC
I am wondering if I can build any of the GD tigers.

Mike
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

does anyone know if I can build or (get close) S33 from das Reich out of this?

I assume that you mean their first Tiger numbered "S33", which used to be "S22" and originally "831".

The kit has the correct side mudguards and "thick" mantlet.
You'll need to make a full-width bar for the spare tracks at the front.
"S33" had the S-mine launchers fully installed. These are in the kit although they are marked "not for use". You'll have to move the outer tow cable holder. All of the relevant holes are in the hull roof, because Rye Field are planning future kits; just figure them out and open them.
I don't have enough photos to be sure, but it seems that "S33" didn't have exhaust shields, so cut the welded mounts off the Rye Field rear panel.

Your biggest problem will be the turret storage bin. It's the shallow type, but has 4 latches, so it's a "hybrid". And it has cutouts at both sides.

Also, this Tiger lost its right-side smoke launchers at an early date.

David
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am wondering if I can build any of the GD tigers.

Certain GD Tigers are very close to the kit. You'll have the same list of changes that I posted to Jason, except that you can use the standard turret bin, which is in the kit; and you'll want to build the S-mine welded bases and supports without the launchers. That's not in the kit.

David
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 11:01 PM UTC
Thank you.

Mike
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 11:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

does anyone know if I can build or (get close) S33 from das Reich out of this?

I assume that you mean their first Tiger numbered "S33", which used to be "S22" and originally "831".

The kit has the correct side mudguards and "thick" mantlet.
You'll need to make a full-width bar for the spare tracks at the front.
"S33" had the S-mine launchers fully installed. These are in the kit although they are marked "not for use". You'll have to move the outer tow cable holder. All of the relevant holes are in the hull roof, because Rye Field are planning future kits; just figure them out and open them.
I don't have enough photos to be sure, but it seems that "S33" didn't have exhaust shields, so cut the welded mounts off the Rye Field rear panel.

Your biggest problem will be the turret storage bin. It's the shallow type, but has 4 latches, so it's a "hybrid". And it has cutouts at both sides.

Also, this Tiger lost its right-side smoke launchers at an early date.

David

Thank you...doesn't seem too much. Was the first S33 the one that fought at Kursk?
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 05:53 AM UTC
I would go with one of the new initials from DML Kylie. I'm about 30% of the way through the '131' release. What a beautiful kit to build. One of the sweetest armour kits I've ever feasted my eyes on.
Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David

Dang, and this was going to be the Tiger I brought for Christmas. Never mind, thanks for the details.

Kylie

young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 06:16 AM UTC
And.... another Tiger bites the dust.

I take it that RFM should have stated that this one included 25% interior, due to all the glaring omissions which has rendered it unbuildable. Perhaps they should have included all electrical wiring too.

The quest for the 100% perfect OOB kit goes on. It'll be a long wait, not only for Tiger modellers.

Or we can just build anywway :-)
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 06:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And.... another Tiger bites the dust.

I take it that RFM should have stated that this one included 25% interior, due to all the glaring omissions which has rendered it unbuildable. Perhaps they should have included all electrical wiring too.

The quest for the 100% perfect OOB kit goes on. It'll be a long wait, not only for Tiger modellers.

Or we can just build anywway :-)

Contrary to the "glaring omissions" comment, the RFM kit will build up nicely. As it has been pointed out, there is no "perfect" model. Dragon had its own laundry list of issues with its Tiger kits. How long did it take to correct them, ten years? RFM is making corrections as it goes along with each release.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 07:22 AM UTC
Mine arrived today...it looks really nice. I am not too concerned about the interior being inaccurate, as I don't plan on leaving the top off.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 11:41 AM UTC
Thanks for the links and replies. I'm sure I read the other day there's a problem with the wheels. There's a double rim instead of one?
 _GOTOTOP