_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help with making modern tarps.
raffrecon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 - 11:56 AM UTC
Hey all,

When I was in the US Army 1998 - 2006, we used large tarps to cover our vehicles while in the motor pool. I don't know the actual dimensions but they were rectangular, dark green, had eyelets in each corner and in the middle of the long sides, and they had a satin sheen to them.

I want to reproduce one of these in 1/35 scale (folded up) and would like some advice on what material to use, the dimensions, and any ideas on recreating the eyelets (I was thinking PE washers I have on an old fret).

Thanks guys and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 - 03:17 PM UTC
Two methods come to mind, when making scale tarps. I do not know the dimensions. This should be decided by your experience. On to the possibilities. First, you can use tissue paper doped with white glue. I would not recommend toilet paper, as it may dissolve. So, I mix about 2:1, glue to water. Fold the tissue to your intention and brush on the dope. After it dries, you can make holes with a needle, thumb tack, etc. Paint it the color you want. I usually pre-shade the tissue. You can use paint, with a satin sheen or apply clear satin over the top of it.
The second method involves epoxy putty. Mix the parts and thin the piece by rolling a non-porous rod over it. As it spreads, you can add a little talc to keep it from sticking to the rod. After it is spread into a piece larger than the desired size, cut it with a razor knife to size. Make the desired holes. with a pin or similar tool. Fold it. Let it cure. Paint as described in the first method.
edoardo
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 - 06:05 PM UTC
Yep!
Matt said it all!
ciao
Edo
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 - 06:21 PM UTC
Just wondered if you'd seen Tamiya #35266 modern us military equipment in 1/35 scale? It has a folded and strapped tarp as part of the sprues. I assume this is intended for their Abrams kit to hang on the side of the turret. Pretty common kit with good photos of the part on many websites online. You even get a little puppy with it!
HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 - 07:22 PM UTC
Recently, just to try it out, I took a barrel swab (7.62x51 if that matters), and used thinned down white glue.

The material has a nice thick "heavy tarp" appearance, and holds up well to painting afterwards.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Recently, just to try it out, I took a barrel swab (7.62x51 if that matters), and used thinned down white glue.

The material has a nice thick "heavy tarp" appearance, and holds up well to painting afterwards.

You should be able to achieve similar effect, with medical gauze.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 12:53 AM UTC
Make sure you use shirt tissue or gift wrapping tissue in the tissue and glue method! It holds together and looks scale when done.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 07:20 AM UTC
Check out this thread for some really amazing result.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1443969735/last-1444181421/View+Thread

tcomca
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2015 - 09:04 PM UTC
It's been my experience facial tissue works very well. I haven't tried the shirt or shoe wrap tissue, but have used flower paper. . Most brands have a fabric like pattern. Depending on the brand, separating the plies may be necessary to get the proper scale effect. Leaving the tissue two ply will give enough body for a rolled or folded tarp. The water PVA combo is a little more tender than the epoxy based method. The latter will survive handling better but one has to be careful whichever technique used.

Using a needle is the preferred method of making grommet holes in the tarp but....... scale the washers you intend to use. In one scale they are about 1 1/2 to 2" diameter. In thirty five scale that is .057". Pretty small, but check railroader sites, they may have washers that small. They will be hardly noticeable from normal viewing distance. That said, I saw photos of a tarped vehicle which the builder had duplicated the grommets, folded seams and stitching. He may have uses a piece of fine toothed jewelers saw blade to impress the stitching onto the seams. Pure speculation and he wasn't telling. Well beyond my ability.

You can thread a needle with thread that scales to 1" and push it through. Don't tie it to the tarp. just tie it to the rope hooks, etc. on a vehicle or around the rolled or folded tarp.

I have used deck tan for high lighting folds and wrinkles. You can fade whichever green you choose with a little yellow. Thin the base coats and apply many or the paint will build up destroying the fabric effect.

Hopes this helps.

Tony

_GOTOTOP