_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M113 ACAV Completed
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:26 PM UTC
This is My M113 ACAV from The ACADEMY kit. Listening your opinions friends.

more in the gallery as always
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:56 AM UTC
Very nice work. Lot's of "stuff" piled on top. Makes it look lived in. I love M113's and have that very kit in the works, but it keeps getting put aside for other projects. You did a great job.
Also, the graffitee on the mg shield looks great. Did you hand paint that?

Chuck
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:59 AM UTC
Looks realy lilved in!
You have a lot of stuff reducing the line of fire for your M-60s and the hatch is closed. In the event 60's are needed, your guys are going to be in world of hurt!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 02:26 AM UTC
Good Job! I really like the flag on the side. Hand painted? I think you may have some late stowage on there that wasn't used in Vietnam. I think you have MRE boxes on the front which weren't around then. I am not sure but I don't think the single handle jerry cans with round top were in use then either? Not really sure.
Other than that, fine job.

Shaun

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 02:39 AM UTC
No MRE's or Plastic Jerry cans in 'nam......Don't think the Trim Vane is right for Nam either (I may be wrong there)
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No MRE's or Plastic Jerry cans in 'nam......Don't think the Trim Vane is right for Nam either (I may be wrong there)

Trim vane is OK for Nam:

Rgds,
Pawel
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:05 AM UTC
I stand corrected....sorry
TUNA
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 449 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:33 AM UTC
Wow.. Awsome Rust.. Awsome Stowage!!!.. Great job!
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 05:39 AM UTC
Looks good,
Heres something to work on.The track in the first picture is up above the roadwheel.Is the suspension "flexed" like the vehicle is going over rough ground?If not,try supergluing the track to the tops of the roadwheels.
(++) (++) (++) (++) (++) (++) (++)
Venom
Visit this Community
Alessandria, Italy
KitMaker: 720 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 07:25 AM UTC
very nice work!
I would to do some dios about viet, but now I have already a lot of dio to finish...
which brand are the figures?
a special thank for all the photos about these dio and others you sent me for my website...
thank you very much
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 08:35 AM UTC
Gettin' goofie nit picky -- the magazine is upside down #:-)

I've used the MRE boxes before and getting th fold tight and square can be tough... I'd like to see a couple of the folds tightened up a bit. I use the dull edge of a hobby knife work it in the inside of the crease and really apply a nice amount of pressure to get a crisp fold on the paper.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 09:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow.. Awsome Rust.. Awsome Stowage!!!.. Great job!

Hopefully that's central highlands red-brown mud since the hulls were aluminum and did not rust.
tracks on the other hand..

I got slammed by judges at a show for the very thing.. I had even intended it as red-brown dust/mud, but they did not read the short write-up.. go figure..

Nice bucket! I love seeing finished M113's especially since I have so many half built!

Mike
Ronald_Kok
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 484 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 10:47 AM UTC
Nice M113 and alots of stuf on it.
The only thing where I`m thinking on is how al those items stay on the vehicle when it take a ride??

tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 11:07 AM UTC
Everyone is right it looks like it was like in, :-)
I was wondering were you got most of the stuff you used for the top of the m113,?

Did you glue everything done so it would stay on top when moving it around?

I was planning a m113 in that error when I finished my truck. I Like that time frame because it had such a diverse culture from to chose from. Either the jungle or city streets they fought everywhere.

What did you use for the mud on the tracks it makes a difference. I was gonna try it on my Iraq T-62 tank but haven't had a chance to apply it.

I would apreciate if you could tell me what you did so I can try it.

Happy Modeling
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 361 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 06:11 PM UTC
Won't rehash what was already covered. Agree with what was already said. THough I do wnat to comment on the attachment of the gear on the sides of the hull.

1). Rope is to thick for the scale.
2) Having served on the M113 series, though not post Nam, placing gear on the sides Is a Good Way to LOSE it. In a Temperate Zone, trees etc would rip/tear off gear that was placed there. We wiuld store it on the trim vane or over t he rear fenders (fuel/water can brackets.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 06:14 PM UTC
Thanks very much for your time on commending my effort. i ll give some of my thoughts on the items you noticed. The graffiti on the shields and on all the ACAV are Verlindens Dry decals kindly offered from my Brother Graywolf.The figures are the kit's Academy ones, Dragon;s Vietkong set, and Dragon's Mechanical Mule set figures. The accesories, arew from the ACAV kit, Dragon's accesories kits, offered from Graywolf, my spare box, and Dragon Nam series US Recon Unit figure set.
The mud was made by applying 3 layers of pastels wetted with white spirit (dark brown, brown red brown) and blend em after this . The freshly messed field in fron of the ACAV was made with KRAFTS interior spackle mixed with pastels and rinsed over with nutmeg powder from my "kitchen set" (30 different small bottles with every kind os powdered spice things). The stuff on the ACAV of course did not stood like that whan this moved and as many of them belong to the crew were putted in, and the others that are on it to prevent them from the mud, but belong to other guys than the crew just go back to the guys they belong, The tied up stuff on the sides and the cammo netting could stood outside. As for the trim vane as stated was used for sure, but for the jerries and the cartons my pictures and refernces are B/W and not so clear so i am not sure either. will look up some more. I had a hard time getting crisp folds on the cartons indeed (lol). the flag is hand painted and looked much better before i started weathering with wetted pastels, and is painted on a cooton cloth with MM acrylics. There is no rust on the hull of course , only mud.The track was superglued but the glue was not so super !!!!.. Thats it any more comments much appreciated !!!!!!! Thanks again gentlemen
Captain94
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 239 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 05:41 PM UTC
looks like that track has been in the big bad bush for a while!
nice job with the stuff on the deck. was this based on a photo?
it really looks familiar for some reason.

thanks!

Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 06:18 PM UTC
the truth is that is a mixed up idea from several Nam pictures i have seen and keep in my mind and in my computer , and also seen on movies and hear many people talking stories in here. Thats all . i hope that some people see a nice picture of it !!!!thanks for your time
 _GOTOTOP