_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Consolidation
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 - 11:02 AM UTC

obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:24 AM UTC
This dio has been up for a week and unlike your other 2 more recent ones(Song of Victory & One Horse Power, no one has commented. Not sure why, but I'll take the plunge. On the plus side, the painting & weathering on the vehicles, gun & figures looks really good. There's lots of interesting details throughout the scene. On the minus side, the sandbags on the halftrack seem to be blocking the driver's view; the left side track seems to be floating a bit; all the gear on the back of the 222 looks like it would fall off if it went over uneven ground. And I'm a bit confused on the title, cause the scene doesn't seem to connect with that. The gun, 222, troops and halftrack are all going/looking in different directions. The figures of each element (gun/track/222) mostly seem to be ignoring one another. Don't get me wrong, I really like the contents in the scene, but to me(and maybe I missed something), it doesn't seem that they are consolidating anything.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:39 AM UTC
Wow!! Great dio!
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:40 AM UTC
The detail is great. But it's too busy. Anybody who isn't reacting in some way to the gun crew's action and the presence of the enemy shouldn't be there. In this kind of situation, there are only three kinds of people: those who are participating, those who want to watch it happen, and those who want to get away.

It's a great show of building and painting skill. It just needs to be trimmed to improve focus.
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This dio has been up for a week and unlike your other 2 more recent ones(Song of Victory & One Horse Power, no one has commented. Not sure why, but I'll take the plunge. On the plus side, the painting & weathering on the vehicles, gun & figures looks really good. There's lots of interesting details throughout the scene. On the minus side, the sandbags on the halftrack seem to be blocking the driver's view; the left side track seems to be floating a bit; all the gear on the back of the 222 looks like it would fall off if it went over uneven ground. And I'm a bit confused on the title, cause the scene doesn't seem to connect with that. The gun, 222, troops and halftrack are all going/looking in different directions. The figures of each element (gun/track/222) mostly seem to be ignoring one another. Don't get me wrong, I really like the contents in the scene, but to me(and maybe I missed something), it doesn't seem that they are consolidating anything.

Jack

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment and give some constructive feedback on this dio. Much appreciated.

The dio represents Africa Corps units during their days of quick victories over the British in Tunisia and this small snapshot shows a gun unit consolodating in a hastily prepared position and preparing for the inevitable counter attack. The gun is quickly being deployed to cover other units while they get into better positions to await the inevitable attack.

The sandbags on the front of the halftrack are taken from an actual photgraph I have of an SDKFZ 251 with sandbags in this position. I supose in the desert the visibility was not too impared with the wide open spaces. Still the crew could always pat them down or remove them.

The equipment on the 222 was either secured on with the straps on the helmets and equipment or pieces of wire. They were meant to be loose so they could be removed quickley also the weight and jamming them in between other items of equipment would hold them in place.

The piece is a snapshot of a bigger picture and the main theme is the gun being deployed with the crew busy doing their thing while the other units are busy dong theirs.

Good to get feedback from other perspectives though.

Hope some of the above helps to explain my thinking.

Cheers

Gerry

gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 10:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow!! Great dio!

Brian

Thanks for looking and taking the time to reply.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Gerry.
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The detail is great. But it's too busy. Anybody who isn't reacting in some way to the gun crew's action and the presence of the enemy shouldn't be there. In this kind of situation, there are only three kinds of people: those who are participating, those who want to watch it happen, and those who want to get away.

It's a great show of building and painting skill. It just needs to be trimmed to improve focus.

Gary

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment and give some constructive feedback. Much appreciated.

I wanted the scene to look busy as it represents the qick victories the Africa Coeps had against the British in Tunisia and as such everything was fast and furious.

The scene depicts the quick deployment of the gun by the crew in a hastily prepared position to cover other units while they get into better positions waiting for the inevitable counter attack (the quiet before the storm if you like). The enemy are not present yet and the 222 and infantry are pulling back into a position just out of the snapshot of the dio.

This is a snapshot and does not show the bigger picture of other units consolodating round about in a hastily formed line.

Hope this explains my thinking a bit better.

Cheers

Gerry

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 01:01 PM UTC
Hi Gerry,
As I said before, you've got skills and ability. I'm completely envious of your figure painting skills. But I had the impression that this dio was about the retreat into Tunisia in 43' and not attacking out of Tunisia in 41'.
The pak76r came after Barbarossa. Likewise, the Ramcke Brigade para and mg42 wouldn't have been there until 42. I'm less sure about uniforms and finishes on the vehicles. I don't think Rommel gave much time for them to change into desert camo after unloading, but it's been a long time since I read about the campaign.
I hope I've been helpful.

Best wishes,

Gary
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 01:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gerry,
As I said before, you've got skills and ability. I'm completely envious of your figure painting skills. But I had the impression that this dio was about the retreat into Tunisia in 43' and not attacking out of Tunisia in 41'.
The pak76r came after Barbarossa. Likewise, the Ramcke Brigade para and mg42 wouldn't have been there until 42. I'm less sure about uniforms and finishes on the vehicles. I don't think Rommel gave much time for them to change into desert camo after unloading, but it's been a long time since I read about the campaign.
I hope I've been helpful.

Best wishes,

Gary

Gary

Thanks for that.

Constructive criticism is always helpful and appreciated.

Cheers

Gerry
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 02:16 PM UTC
Great job on the weathering.I also really like the sweat patches on the figures (I'll have to remember that when doing my desert dio.) I don't feel qualified to comment on composition but you certainly have plenty of elements to look at. Thanks for all the photos, it's great to be able to have a proper look around a dio.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 10:47 PM UTC
I have to say on balance I like this. I would agree the timescale may be slightly out but otherwise it works for me. There is clearly a road through the position other units are relocating on. What I find impressive is how you have made a old bear of a kit, the old Tamiya Sdkfz251 look half decent. The 223 is also an old kit but shows up well here.
Figure painting is great. love the sweat stains - clear these guys are working hard in the heat.
Artistically it may have been better if the track had run at an angle across the baseboard, this would have allowed the focus to be moved to the gun crew, and the other units more "noises off"?
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:13 PM UTC
Hi Gerry,

Nice build with a lot to see.
The only question I have: it must have been a German guy who grew up in the UK or USA who wrote the text on the sign since it is a mix of German and English!
Just teasing!

Happy New Year and thanks for sharing.

P.
maartenboersma
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 764 posts
Armorama: 742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 01:16 AM UTC
The sweat soaked uniforms (good attention to detail)
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 02:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great job on the weathering.I also really like the sweat patches on the figures (I'll have to remember that when doing my desert dio.) I don't feel qualified to comment on composition but you certainly have plenty of elements to look at. Thanks for all the photos, it's great to be able to have a proper look around a dio.

Paul

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 02:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to say on balance I like this. I would agree the timescale may be slightly out but otherwise it works for me. There is clearly a road through the position other units are relocating on. What I find impressive is how you have made a old bear of a kit, the old Tamiya Sdkfz251 look half decent. The 223 is also an old kit but shows up well here.
Figure painting is great. love the sweat stains - clear these guys are working hard in the heat.
Artistically it may have been better if the track had run at an angle across the baseboard, this would have allowed the focus to be moved to the gun crew, and the other units more "noises off"?

Steve

Much appreciated.

I enjoy making the old kits and trying to make them look better.

Getting other peoples perspective on a diorama is never a bad thing.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gerry,

Nice build with a lot to see.
The only question I have: it must have been a German guy who grew up in the UK or USA who wrote the text on the sign since it is a mix of German and English!
Just teasing!

Happy New Year and thanks for sharing.

P.

Paul

Much appreciated.

LOL It was a Scottish guy who copied the text out of google translate that did the sign as he cannot speak a word of German.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 02:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The sweat soaked uniforms (good attention to detail)

Maarten

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Gerry
 _GOTOTOP