_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
A trio of Volkswagens
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 10:51 AM UTC
Here are three Volkswagens I pretty much have finished with, or at least to my minimum standards. I plan to add some more stowage once I get/make some, and plan on making some small bases so they will likely get some more weathering down the road. But for now, here they are:

Tamiya Kübelwagen

brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 10:55 AM UTC
CMK Type 82e

Needs the tail lights added and some window cleanup, but basically done

brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:02 AM UTC
Tamiya Type 166 Schwimmwagen

Going back and forth on whether to repaint shovel and oar handles...

These were all OOB builds with no extra frills other than lowering the driver's window on the 82e and putting the MP-40 inside.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 01:13 PM UTC
Thanks for posting, Shell. May I make a suggestion? Before applying camo to your next project, practice with your airbrush mixture and air pressure. You're getting over spray and that can be eliminated. Drop down your PSI to about 10-12 and thin your paint to about milky consistency. Then hold the nozzle about one inch from your practice surface and try to make fine lines without side splatter. Good luck.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hi Shell,

nice builds. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe you should change the decal on the schwimwagen driver's helmet. He drives a SS vehicle and has a Wehrmacht helmet.

Pls., allow me a tip for gluing transparant parts:
try Revell Contacta Clear, item # 39609.
It doesn't attack the plastic and keeps it transparant.

Happy New Year.

P.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:43 PM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions. As far as the camo, I was spraying heavily thinned Tamiya at ~8psi less than an inch away, but I have a bit of arthritis in my hands that makes holding an airbrush a tricky proposition.

My bad on the helmet; I built the driver a month earlier and forgot about the markings I used on him.

The windows are held in with white glue; just have to pop them out and clean them.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the suggestions. As far as the camo, I was spraying heavily thinned Tamiya at ~8psi less than an inch away, but I have a bit of arthritis in my hands that makes holding an airbrush a tricky proposition.

My bad on the helmet; I built the driver a month earlier and forgot about the markings I used on him.

The windows are held in with white glue; just have to pop them out and clean them.

You can also try MICRO INDUSTRIES- Their CLEAR GLOSS and CLEAR WINDOW ADHESIVE work quite nicely as well, these are water-based, so clean-up is a snap...

Ditto on the lower PSI and thinned paint. I still stick to (my personal preference) TESTORS MODEL MASTER II Enamels myself, as they tend to dry just a tad slower and they shoot through my airbrushes a bit more smoothly, from my experience...
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 10:55 PM UTC
The Volkswagen Bettle,"the poor man's Porsche."That is a quote I came up with myself.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You can also try MICRO INDUSTRIES- Their CLEAR GLOSS and CLEAR WINDOW ADHESIVE work quite nicely as well, these are water-based, so clean-up is a snap...
[/quote]

I have used the Pledge Future clear coat for window glass. It fill scratches as well- Thanks for posting. Nice job. Makes me want to dig out my VW kits as well!
 _GOTOTOP