_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Painting realistic logos on tanks.
Potato_moddeler
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 06:53 AM UTC
I'm thinking of hand painting the Iron-cross on my latest German build. I plan to use tape to get a proper outline for the cross. Will this have the desired effect? And will the tape damage the enamel paint upon removal?

Thanks in advance!
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 01:10 PM UTC
If you mean not using an airbrush, I am not sure you will get a better result than using a decal...

If you use modeller's masking tape like Tamiya it should not affect the paint below,for any other it is better to try before using it. Sticking it a couple of times to other surface will weaken the adhesion if needed.

Anyway there are other options depending on your budget and skills, like dry transfers, photo etch templates or even I have tried my own template cutting the shape from a sheet of transparent plastic (the one used to print presentations on).
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:03 PM UTC
What period of German AFV is this for? If it's a Zimmerit coated tank forget about masking. Most of the markings I've seen on these vehicles are roughly hand painted (in the case of HJ, very roughly!). If an earlier grey painted vehicle, what the others said.
 _GOTOTOP