_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1A2 SEP V2 “DAS DUPREE” D22
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:13 AM UTC
Hi. I wanted to share some photos of my first effort at a Dragon Abrams kit build.

This model is based on photos of “DAS DUPREE” (D22) crew lead by TC Staff Sgt. Joseph Dupree of Company D, 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry Squadron, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division in Germany 2014. The crew was shown in this live fire practice video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_L8lzDiat8

You can read an interesting story on this tank crew’s loader, Pfc. Terrianna Martin at the link here. She is a mechanic with Company D, 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division
http://www.forthoodsentinel.com/news/stepping-up-female-mechanic-loads-tank-during-gunnery/article_d78065c9-a096-5e95-9c0e-6f8b59e14aa4.html

I imagined a live fire scene during Exercise Combined Resolve II in June 2014. Note the tank was pulled from the European Activity Set. EAS is a battalion-sized group of armored vehicles and equipment prepositioned at the U.S. Army's Joint Multinational Training Command in Grafenwoehr, Germany to support and outfit the U.S. Army's rotational forces' abilities to train and perform contingency missions while in Europe.

amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:16 AM UTC
This is the latest M1A2 SEP V2 DML kit #3556. I substituted the Bronco T-158LL tracks and modified the CROWS up top with the recent Bronco kit. Other additions included tasca 50 cal M2 parts, Eduard’s PE additions, along with MENG and Legend MOLLE pack stores. Live Resin helmet and other LR goodies thrown in as well. Paints used were mostly Master Model enamels, a coat of Future clear coat, and weathered with MIG’s gray “Dust” wash.
Tankograd’s book on the M1A2 SEP V2 and Prime Portal website were great references. I want to say thank you to Pawel Krupowicz, Don Haney, Gino Quintiliani, Robert Burik, Robert Skipper and so many others who publish on Armorama for their inspiration, products, and tips.
I enjoyed the build and learned a lot. Thank you for looking. Your (gentle) comments are always appreciated. – All the best - Stuart

amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:19 AM UTC

amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:21 AM UTC

amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:36 AM UTC
Please note on step 8 of the instructions...go with the Hawker Battery option. I missed this and mistakenly used the Under Armor Aux Power Unit. At least now I know what a UAAPU is about. The M1A2 SEP V2 uses the Hawker battery. Live and learn.

amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:44 AM UTC

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:48 AM UTC
It looks great. Good job on all of it. Glad I was an inspiration and help. Great story on the crew as well.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:51 AM UTC
Very Cool! Great Job
Hercules1983
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 07:11 AM UTC
Awesome! Nice weathering!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 04:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

HI! GREAT JOB! This model/dio is proof-positive of what can be achieved with the DRAGON Abrams kits, the MENG and now RYE FIELD kits, notwithstanding! IMO, the "without TUSK I & II" DRAGON M1-series kits are STILL perfectly viable subjects, as the MENG and RYE FIELD kits are specifically intended to be built WITH the TUSK packages.

I LIKE what was done with this model, and I think that this is a fine inspiration for modellers who haven't built a DRAGON SEP V2, yet. I built my SEP V2 in a similar vein, serving in Germany.

With the new MENG and RYE FIELD Abrams kits coming, again IMO, there are entirely too many modellers who are willing to trash their DRAGON M1-series kits in favor of "the new kids on the block", which is just plain wasteful! Step back, take a breath, and go ahead and build your DRAGON M1s anyway- your wallets will appreciate it. The DRAGON M1s are kits that shouldn't be side-stepped just because new M1s are coming into the market...
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 05:39 PM UTC
Thank you all for the comments. Means a lot to me as I feel like trying another Abrams now! I have seen the conversions that you guys have shown on Armorama (for the Korean based SEP V2 tanks for example) that push the art and inspire. You set high goals for me to only attempt to reach for! Thanks again- Stuart
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 07:53 PM UTC
Stu,
Nice build with some great details: the junk in the spare roadwheel, the links and spent brass in the .50 caliber catch bag and the US flag on the antenna are all nice touches.

I would like to offer a couple of suggestions:
- Since you are depicting D22 in a life fire type exercise, add a red flag (easily made from heavy foil and a bit of plastic rod) to signify that the weapon systems are locked and loaded.
- Another quick fix would be to repaint the grenades in the smoke grenade launchers a light pale green (Sky Type S or US Interior Green) as those are the red phosphorus grenades. The grenades with the raised lip and cross across them are the ones that are colored black.
- Also, throw some MRE bags in the spare roadwheel. The roadwheel was a convenient bin for helmets, other crew gear, trash and MREs.
- Some coffee stains around the TC's hatch would also add some "lived in" feeling to the model

HTH

John
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 10:15 PM UTC
Great work on your Abrams which looks really nice with all the bits and bobs you put into it. and a great level of dust and dirt you put on the Abrams.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 10:36 PM UTC
Thank you for the kind words SpaceXhydro. It is so easy to get carried away on stowage and weathering!

Quoted Text

Stu,

I would like to offer a couple of suggestions:
- Since you are depicting D22 in a life fire type exercise, add a red flag (easily made from heavy foil and a bit of plastic rod) to signify that the weapon systems are locked and loaded.
- Another quick fix would be to repaint the grenades in the smoke grenade launchers a light pale green (Sky Type S or US Interior Green) as those are the red phosphorus grenades. The grenades with the raised lip and cross across them are the ones that are colored black.
- Also, throw some MRE bags in the spare roadwheel. The roadwheel was a convenient bin for helmets, other crew gear, trash and MREs.
- Some coffee stains around the TC's hatch would also add some "lived in" feeling to the model

HTH

John

John - Thank you for looking and the insight into the real items! Yes I will look through the videos to find where the red flag goes. As you say the smoke grenade launchers are an easy fix. (I admit I was being lazy as I did not create the canvas cover seen in the YOUTUBE video either, but repaint is very do-able).

Coffee stains are what I was avoiding for a year as I would doze over this model cup in hand lol. I can always make more MRE bags as well! Your comments are very appreciated! All the best- S
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 12:15 AM UTC
Stu,
After checking around, I am showing my age when I mentioned the red flag... Back in the day, we normally jammed the flags into the loader's M240 mount but current doctrine is not to use flags anymore, which is why you didn't see them in the video of 2-5 Cav conducting the Live Fire Accuracy Screening Test (LFAST) at Range 117C at Grafenwoehr Germany.

I spent a chunk of my youth at that range in the early 90's, making sure that my tank was shooting correctly.

John
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 12:39 AM UTC
Stuart, SUPER impressed with your build. Fantastic details! Wonderful model...would love to see more of your work
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 02:03 AM UTC
Another on my wish list to build this year. Great inspiration for me to see such a great job and an outstanding finish.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stu,
After checking around, I am showing my age when I mentioned the red flag... Back in the day, we normally jammed the flags into the loader's M240 mount but current doctrine is not to use flags anymore, which is why you didn't see them in the video of 2-5 Cav conducting the Live Fire Accuracy Screening Test (LFAST) at Range 117C at Grafenwoehr Germany.

I spent a chunk of my youth at that range in the early 90's, making sure that my tank was shooting correctly.

John

OK John. Understood. No red flags today. Also want to say thank you for your service. I took your advice to create proper M82 Simulant Screening Smoke Grenades with the green caps.

Curt - Thank you for your kind words. That means a lot to me as I have seen your recent Thunder Run lead tank A11. Excellent work and congratulations to you on a fine museum piece!

Thank you Armorsmith. This has been on my wish list for a while as well. I have a very loooong wish list. All the best to all and thank you for the kind words.
ScratchShipBuilder
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 04:39 AM UTC
Amazing, you put a lot of work in it
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 07:10 AM UTC
Thank you Gary. I have a lot to learn about the Abrams with the new options for kits coming on the market now!
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 04:25 PM UTC
A lot of details. Awesome Work !

I like the damaged pads of the tracks.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:19 AM UTC
Beautiful work Stuart!
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 06:41 AM UTC
Thank you Alex!

Thank you Brent! Means a lot to me as following your museum HQ-63 'Rogue Warrior' build on fb closely. That aft hull was a challenge for me. I braced the hulls sides more open per Don Haney's "All Bout Da Bones" build log here to get things to fit better. Still had to add a filler strip in a gap!

Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 07:05 AM UTC
Beautiful Abrams! I have 4 Abrams in my stash. I've kinda been hesitant to build a couple of them because of the three tone NATO scheme(it scares me away). I would like to have an array of them, since they are all different configurations.

Congrats on a fine model sir.
 _GOTOTOP