_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
WIP: Trumpeter T-80BV 1/35 with etch
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 05:44 PM UTC
Hi!

I'm building trumpeter's T-80BV and thought i would share my progress with you. This will be my first build thread here at Armorama.

For this build I have used:
Trumpeter T-80BV
Voyager T-80BV etch
Voyager T-80BV gun barrel
Miniarm NTSV

The trumpeter kit is really nice and so is the voyager sets even though I think they are a bit excessive at times. For example they supply all the ERA blocks on the tank, all 130 of them :O , in etch but I skipped them. I began work on the turret, which in the BV is extremely busy. At the moment must of the construction in this area is finished. Here are some pictures:

The snorkel, the cradle and the straps in etch really make a differences here as the plastic one is a bit clunky. I have a question about these too. All Russian tanks carry snorkels so they can ford deeper rivers but you don’t see them on NATO/western tanks. Would NATO rely on temporary bridges or what was/is the plan? Would seem that bridges would be more vulnerable to for example air attack, but perhaps they relied on air superiority? What was their thinking?

The ammo boxes also come supplied completely in etch and even though they are a lot of work they look beautiful when completed.

Thought I would show some pictures of the ERA also. The quality of these is quite important for the overall quality of the build I think. Trumpeter did a good job on these but to make them look better I little session with the saw is recommended.

And finnaly a couple of pictures of where the build stands at the moment!

Happy to answer questions and commentaries, and of course, more will come

Cheers!

Jakob
Saber7
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 05:57 PM UTC
Impressive use of photo-etch. Nice build!

Pete
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 06:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Impressive use of photo-etch. Nice build!

Pete

Thanks Pete!

Etch Is a little tricky at times, not to say really frustrating, but it looks nice in the end

Jakob
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 05:09 PM UTC
Excellent work Jakob- this is coming along very nicely indeed.
nakpadon
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 06:16 PM UTC
Looking very nice.
Have you glued the snorkel and other items to the turret, or are they just dry fitted?

Paul.
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 07:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks man! I saw in your banner that your building a BMP-1 used in Ethiopia, do you have a wip for that? Have a thing for african armor/air you see

Quoted Text

Looking very nice.
Have you glued the snorkel and other items to the turret, or are they just dry fitted?

Paul.

It's dry fitted at the moment. It's going to be a 3-tone camo so for it to be possible to paint the turret properly it can't have all that stuff glued I guess you saw the crooked snorkel?

Jakob
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 07:24 PM UTC
I'm planing on doing one of the 3-tone tanks that are covered on echelons decal sheet: T-80s in Chechnya & Transnistria. I have almost decided on "111" (second from the top on the left).

Jakob
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 04:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks man! I saw in your banner that your building a BMP-1 used in Ethiopia, do you have a wip for that? Have a thing for african armor/air you see

Hey Jakob- yeah I do have a WIP for it. Here it is:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/225563&page=1

As you can see it has been stalled for a while! Its a big project- on the back burner at the minute- I periodically work on it when I get the time so I will update it at some point!
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 05:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As you can see it has been stalled for a while! Its a big project- on the back burner at the minute- I periodically work on it when I get the time so I will update it at some point!

I took a look at it, very nicely done It will look great when it’s done I’m sure. The figures are especially impressive I think, I have very little experience myself making and modifying figures.

I know everything about projects being a little slow, but it’s about having fun so it doesn’t really matter how “slow” progress is But hope you get it done, would be very nice to see it completed

Cheers!

Jakob
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 08:14 PM UTC
I will be following this build,if my plans go right I was going to start my T-80 with KMT mine roller.
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I will be following this build,if my plans go right I was going to start my T-80 with KMT mine roller.

Welcome aboard!

The T-80 with a mine roller sound awesome. Which mine roller are you planning to use. Saw that the KMT-6 was released as a standalone a while back by Trumpeter.

Which kit are you using? The Trumpeter is a joy to build, with the exception of the indytracks which gets a bit boring after a while

Jakob
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 09:21 PM UTC
that is really nice work on the T-80BV. I love the photo etched you applied. this looks like it will be one heck of a model.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I took a look at it, very nicely done It will look great when it’s done I’m sure. The figures are especially impressive I think, I have very little experience myself making and modifying figures.

I know everything about projects being a little slow, but it’s about having fun so it doesn’t really matter how “slow” progress is But hope you get it done, would be very nice to see it completed

Cheers!

Jakob

Very kind of you to say Jakob, thanks!

I was just wondering if you are planning to put the T-80 into a dio or onto some groundwork etc?
saint01
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 12:19 AM UTC
Hi Jacob,

Nice looking build. Will be following this one with interest, I really love the look of the T-80 with era. Will have to remember your trick with the saw to improve the look of the era blocks, definitely beats doing the etch ones!

Concerning your question, pretty much all modern NATO tanks have a fording capability as well. The difference is in the type of snorkel used : on western tanks this usually consists of a series of cilinders stacked on top of eachother so they form a long tube. This tube gets fitted to the commander's hatch opening and has a large enough diameter so crewmembers can crawl through it. This has several advantages : the commander can give directions to the driver by standing in the top of the tube and of course the crew can use it to escape if the tank gets stuck or breaks down. The disadvantage is that the cilinder elements are too large to be carried on the tank and thus they have to be transported separately.

As usual, the soviets weren't too concerned about crew safety so went with a smaller snorkel design that could be carried on the tank itself.

Tony

J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jacob,

Nice looking build. Will be following this one with interest, I really love the look of the T-80 with era. Will have to remember your trick with the saw to improve the look of the era blocks, definitely beats doing the etch ones!

Concerning your question, pretty much all modern NATO tanks have a fording capability as well. The difference is in the type of snorkel used : on western tanks this usually consists of a series of cilinders stacked on top of eachother so they form a long tube. This tube gets fitted to the commander's hatch opening and has a large enough diameter so crewmembers can crawl through it. This has several advantages : the commander can give directions to the driver by standing in the top of the tube and of course the crew can use it to escape if the tank gets stuck or breaks down. The disadvantage is that the cilinder elements are too large to be carried on the tank and thus they have to be transported separately.

As usual, the soviets weren't too concerned about crew safety so went with a smaller snorkel design that could be carried on the tank itself.

Tony

Yeah the T-80 with ERA looks wicked. It's by far the coolest of them, the B version looks a little bare and on the T-80U/UB the turret looks a lot like a flying saucer I think

Yeah the saw is a hundred times better than those PE ERAs. Glad that my idea could help someone else

About the snorkels thanks for the heads up! I been thinking it would be really strange for them to lack that capability! Also about the crew, I guess that the NATO had fever crews and they had more training so you don’t want to lose them. A little bit like the Merkava with the escape hatch since the IDF have a limited amount of crews.

I wonder if there are pictures of say a truck transporting the snorkels? Would make for a pretty cool dio with the crew taking them of the truck and mounting them.

Jakob
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very kind of you to say Jakob, thanks!

I was just wondering if you are planning to put the T-80 into a dio or onto some groundwork etc?

Yeah I am planning something like that. My idea is to place it on a dirt road running along a ridge. They have stopped behind a stone wall. The idea is that it's providing artillery support as I read somewhere that the Russians liked using their tanks in that roll.

For figures I was planning on using the guy pointing in the first set pointing down range. The tanker with the AK would be standing on top off the turret with binoculars in the other hand. I think it would look cool with him standing on the turret. I have however been thinking about if one would do this in Chechnya, I’m thinking about snipers, but perhaps that wasn’t a problem

If you guys has any more ideas comments on the scene, feel free to comment, it’s always good with another opinion

Jakob
Removed by original poster on 02/22/16 - 15:12:34 (GMT).
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 09:44 PM UTC
I like the idea of your dio Jakob- it will show off the T-80 very nicely. I would say that standing on top of the turret would probably not be wise- as well as that you have a very busy turret with the T-80 and finding a place where a figure can stand with decent footing is difficult. You could have him standing at the wall- perhaps on a bit where some of the stones have fallen- he would be standing in cover mostly and looking out over the top? Just my $0.02.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:24 AM UTC
Wow! This is shaping up very nicely! I have one of these on my build wishlist so I'll follow your log closely.

The diorama idea is great and those figures look absolutely stunning. A perfect match. I know I've seen them before but can't recall who makes them...
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 03:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the idea of your dio Jakob- it will show off the T-80 very nicely. I would say that standing on top of the turret would probably not be wise- as well as that you have a very busy turret with the T-80 and finding a place where a figure can stand with decent footing is difficult. You could have him standing at the wall- perhaps on a bit where some of the stones have fallen- he would be standing in cover mostly and looking out over the top? Just my $0.02.

Your idea of standing behind the wall Karl is definitely worth considering, thanks for the input!

Quoted Text

Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 07:24 AM UTC
Wow! This is shaping up very nicely! I have one of these on my build wishlist so I'll follow your log closely.

The diorama idea is great and those figures look absolutely stunning. A perfect match. I know I've seen them before but can't recall who makes them...

Considering how good you SCUD launcher looks I’m sure your T-80 would look stunning too.

The figures are made by evolution miniatures, I think they make some really great figures.

I think that there will be a real build update tonight, fingers crossed

Cheers!

Jakob
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 03:48 PM UTC
Thank you for your kind words, Jakob!

Really looking forward to seeing more of this build!
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 08:33 PM UTC
Looking good. I've used the standing guy with the AK, it's a very nice figure.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 09:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The snorkel, the cradle and the straps in etch really make a differences here as the plastic one is a bit clunky. [b]I have a question about these too. All Russian tanks carry snorkels so they can ford deeper rivers but you don’t see them on NATO/western tanks. Would NATO rely on temporary bridges or what was/is the plan? Would seem that bridges would be more vulnerable to for example air attack, but perhaps they relied on air superiority? What was their thinking?

Swimming a tank or even using a snorkel is a bit of pie in the sky thinking IMO. The biggest issue with snorkeling a tank, depending on the depth of the water, is will the riverbed actually be able to support the weight of the vehicle crossing it. You'd need careful reconnaissance and setting up a company or battalion worth of tanks would take time, so it might just be easier to get a bridging unit in to cross the river.
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 02:34 PM UTC
Another update!
I broke my promise I know, but I have an update now The etch madness has continued and I have made the claps for the stowage boxes on the fenders.

The piece to make up the actual locking mechanism is the most complicated, but after some thinking I came up with a pretty good process:

First a pic of the etch part and some 0.3mm (diameter) rod, that's 0.01 inches for all non "metrics" The toothpick is there for scale so that all of you know how crazy i am

The second step was gluing the rod to the piece of etch, I actually did this while it was still attached to the fret so it wouldn't move.

In the next step I folded the section with the rod 90°.

The rod was then cut using a excato blade. A sharp blade is essential too prevent the rod from detaching from the etch.

Lastly the other section was folded 90°. No glue was needed here so it looks very clean. It's done! only 18 more to go

And this is how it looks when it is attached to the tank:

Lastly i just wanted to add some closeups of the fenders from the kit. Trumpeter really did a great job, both with the detail and the "waves" that simulate rubber fenders really weel. I'm really impressed with Trumpeters latest releases, both in terms of detail and accuracy, good job Trumpeter!:

See you soon

Jakob
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 03:57 PM UTC
Uh, oh! Those PE parts are... "challenging" Are these parts from the base or the Voyager kit?
 _GOTOTOP