_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Chieftains assigned to BAoR
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 10:33 PM UTC
what I was looking foe from AA. thx.x2. I'm wondering if either the Challenger or Centurion would be suitable for a BAoR Chieftain Mk10. for Kingfisher, would black have been used when the Mk10 was?
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You could try here for c/s and squadron markings,cheaper than AA as well.

http://www.kingfisherminiatures.co.uk/1-35-Decals-c9.htm

I've never heard of Kingfisher before, they look really useful but I wish they would provide black rectangles with separate white letter/numbers so you can make your own specific vehicle. Cutting up the decals can lead to all kinds of disasters
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 01:41 AM UTC
anyone recognize anything? lotta stills

BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Export sales. Some Arab countries used the Chieftain.

I was lucky enough to undertake what was called Loan Service in the mid-80s, whereby British soldiers are loaned to certain nations. My service was in Oman and the Sultan's Army had a mix of Chieftains and M60s in his armoured regiment. I was lucky enough to get out for a day with a friend of mine in the Armd Regt and the Chieftains were in a sand and green scheme - not a million miles away from the BATUS scheme but of course, both colours well-faded under the desert sun. I seem to recall that there were no markings other than the vehicle registration number in Arabic numerals. This number plate also included an Omani armed forces badge on a red background at the beginning of the registration number.

Somewhere I think I have some photos (!)

I think there may have been antennae detail changes but certainly an Omani Chieftain would make a welcome change on the display tables.
ian1066
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 03:04 AM UTC
Accurate Armour
If you click on one of the pictures, then on the 'Decals' heading on the left, you'll be able to access the listing you need. AA are having issues with their site.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2016 - 05:52 PM UTC
anyone know, of course you do, what color brit smoke grenades were/are? got a spare set from dragon's M1A1 AIM that fit perfectly in the dischargers. they're 6 short/long. also, would this: http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=6&subcategory=48&product=560 be suitable for a Chieftain? it's meant for a Centurion. thx
Jacko464
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 01:18 AM UTC
trakpin,
i dont think the decals will work for a Chieftain,the markings were more low vis on them.

jacko
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 02:15 AM UTC
kinda figured. thx. why must there be such a dearth of AM bits for this thing? the only one that seems to get any luvvin is tamiya's Chieftain, and only cuz IT'S the wrong type
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 02:58 AM UTC
British smoke grenades for vehicles were L8 grenades and were black with an eau de nile coloured base with a brown stripe denoting a low explosive content. The black section was rubber and was the only part visible when loaded into the discharger, protruding about 1 to 2 inches. This was correct right up until I handed over as Gunnery SSgt for my regiment in 2004. The following link shows a picture and although this is a wooden replica it accurately portrays the colours just with no stencilling on the coloured base.

http://www.relics.org.uk/l8-a1-l11-vehicle-discharger-smoke-grenades
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 04:10 AM UTC
thx just what was looking for
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 02:48 AM UTC
14th/20th Hussars that weren't part of the Berlin Brigade have the same/similar markings? from what I understand it was C SQRDN that made up the BB. re-reading Red Effect, which is quite good btw, and the 14/20 is featured, so I thought I'd do a B SQRDN tank, and one that survives.

side note. I've found that a 4 RTR tank can be had, as the decals for it are there. why takom didn't mention that, I dunno. not hard to figure out which decals to use. they're the ones that don't conform to the guide.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6009/6019359231_2422b55454_b.jpg
mprobinson
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:03 PM UTC
Chieftain markings evolved between 1967 and 1994. There were some (probably all Mk.2s especially in the UK training establishment) that had some fairly extensive markings applied in the late 1960s. These could extend to brigade markings, regimental or establishment crests. In BAOR the usual markings in the late 1960s-early 1970s included union flag, bridging disk, registration and unit code number on the front of the hull, registration and convoy marking on the rear of the hull, squadron geometric markings on the turret sides and rear in white, call sign on the rear of the turret. There was much variation between units about exact placement, and DBG or NATO Green and Black could be seen as the basic paint colour for the first few years. Names (not used in all regiments, but in most) were applied normally on the side of the vehicle on the stowage boxes. By about 1980, bridging disks appeared in grey or stencilled out of NATO green, DBG disappeared, and markings were applied in a much lower key, almost minimalist fashion. In BATUS the opposite was true because of the need to identify vehicles at long range. Rule of the thumb is the later the year, the lower key the markings. The exception, seen on many tanks but dependent on the regiment, was the unit crest decals often carried on the outer and front faces of the IR searchlight mounting and on the commander's bin. Cammo disruptive pattern varied between tanks but sometimes was uniformly approved within a troop or squadron. If you want good examples, the 3rd RTR sites and the sites of the 14/20th H, 2RTR Old Boys, 4th and 7th RTR History Site, The Royal Hussars etc have great examples. There are plenty of books that will help: Dick Taylors Warpaint books, Simon Dunstan's numerous works, Bob Griffin's Chieftain books (especially the Kagero one which has colour plates), and plenty of others (including me and Bob's RAC in the Cold War history due out soon from P&S). |MPR |)
 _GOTOTOP