_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Chieftains assigned to BAoR
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 05:53 PM UTC
are there any decals for such units? not found anything from bison or archer. thx
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 08:06 PM UTC
I've been looking for the same thing, really disappointed Takom didn't include any in their kits.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 02:14 AM UTC
it's enuff to make one think Chieftains are the ugly stepchild of tanks
frank01
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 04:12 AM UTC
I think it's something to do with having permission from the MOD. A decal printer in the UK I have got stuff of has licences only for the stuff on his site and will not make changes without re applying for a new one first nor make generic ones without permission from them costs him every time
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 04:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

are there any decals for such units? not found anything from bison or archer. thx

I sent Echelon Fine Details a bunch of images of BAOR Chieftains about a month or so ago. Be patient, creating high quality decals from images takes a bit of time.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 05:21 AM UTC
be great in echelon does something with them, what with 3 takom, and 1 meng on the way. I'd like to do one from one of a few books I read recently, The Chieftains being one
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 12:58 AM UTC
the Berlin Brigade Chieftains, were there any from that unit NOT in Berlin, and w/out that particular camo?
a1519hussar
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 01:37 AM UTC
Yes, 14/20 were in Hohne with 1 Sqn detached to Berlin in 1989, I was in Berlin with a relief troop while one of their troops went back to Hohne for annual firing so the other 2 Sqn's had regular NATO cam.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 05:02 AM UTC
hmmm..., and of course it's NOT 2nd Sqdrn that's included. maybe I can use something. hopefully something comes out soon
RobBye
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 06:03 AM UTC
It's surprising such an important vehicle has so long been overlooked. I have a desert scheme in mind for my Mk 5, but I could later add another kit for a European build.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 11:08 AM UTC
did the Brits have a desertized Chieftain?
RobBye
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 05:02 PM UTC
Export sales. Some Arab countries used the Chieftain.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:52 PM UTC
knew about the iranian version, but were Brit version ever painted desert yellow?
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 09:52 PM UTC
The Berlin sqn, as I recall, was detached from the RAC Training Regt at Catterick in at least some of the late 1980s. The vehs at both were retained there and the personnel rotated. Those not in Berlin were NATO IRR green with or without black.
AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 01:39 AM UTC
Hi!
not always...Between mid and end 80s the Berlin sqn was from 14/20 Kings Hussars. Their barracks were in Münster, Germany, as part of BAOR. They rotated with their vehicles which was quite common that days. In the late 80s, they switched to Challenger 1 in BAOR while their Sqn in Berlin remained with Chieftains until they left Berlin. The BAOR Sqns were green/black camouflaged like all BAOR units.

Andreas
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 02:33 AM UTC
Well 14/20KH was definitely at Catterick in 1986/87 because I visited them there and the regimental badge was stencilled on the Clansman ATU box. There may have been other elements in other locations too, as I think there was only a sqn or two at Catterick.

Thanks for the info anyway. I may be wrong about the tanks not moving; I think I heard/read it somewhere in the last 30yrs, but not everything I remember is true!
steve1
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

knew about the iranian version, but were Brit version ever painted desert yellow?

hi buddy you should check out the vehicles from BATUS in Alberta they had a nice cam scheme.
Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 04:08 AM UTC
As a subject the BAOR has been ignored by all the decal manufacturers, this has a lot to do with the fact that most of the kits of British vehicles are in resin not plastic.
The decal people see the market for decals for this subject as a small niche group.
We can count the plastic modern British vehicles on your fingers, Centurion, Conqueror (no booing please) Chieftain, Challenger, Warrior, Scorpion, Scimitar, Land Rover GS, Land Rover ambulance, Saladin. M109, M110, MLRS. Not a big amount by any means.
With more and more British vehicles coming on line it will spur the decal people to produce more decals.

What we need is a set of stencils for British modern vehicles, this would make building BAOR vehicles a lot easier... as there are very few unit markings used on vehicles in the BAOR the set wouldn't have to be an elaborate venture... Squadrons use the same set ups, in most regiments, numbers and letters are used in limited variations....

Anto.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 05:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

hi buddy you should check out the vehicles from BATUS in Alberta they had a nice cam scheme.

that scheme's in the instructions for the takom. not really liking it, tho. got a preference for black on green for mine, when it GETS here
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 12:49 PM UTC
If you want markings, why not look at Accurate Armour's range? Tac signs in yellow and black, Union flags, bridge classification discs....
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 02:27 PM UTC
[quote]Well 14/20KH was definitely at Catterick in 1986/87 because I visited them there and the regimental badge was stencilled on the Clansman ATU box. There may have been other elements in other locations too, as I think there was only a sqn or two at Catterick.

14/20H were in Catterick from '85 to '87 as they were my training regiment when I went through basic and trade training there. They took over from the Queens Own Hussars and I think that at that time they had a Squadron detached in Berlin. My own regiment 15/19KRH were the RAC Centre Regiment at that time with one Squadron in Bovington, the other Lulworth and the 3rd in Cyprus which I was lucky enough to be posted to.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 05:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you want markings, why not look at Accurate Armour's range? Tac signs in yellow and black, Union flags, bridge classification discs....

had a looksee there, after finding a thread in a search here, but couldn't find it. this is what I get clicking decals : http://www.accurate-armour.com/aaproducts.cfm?category=6&manufacturer=0
blue-red-blue
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 07:09 PM UTC
In reply to some of the posts concerning the Berlin Brigade Chieftains. They, as were the ones in BATUS were kept in situ and troops rotated through on a pre planned tour basis. Once you went on your tour, a pre advance party would go over, take over all the specific vehicles and then troops would get there allocated vehicle for the duration of their stay. The units stationed in Berlin were to all intents and purposes struck off the Army nominal roll as combat effective due to the fact that if the big bad Soviet bear decided he wanted to come across the NATO borders, a mere 14-18 Chieftains in an urban environment would make no impact whatsoever. Also, that Berlin Brigade camo scheme was unique for those vehicles and used no where else for BAOR. While i was there in BAOR in Detmold and Sennelager, ( Blues and Royals ) our Chieftains ( we went from Mk 5/5 upto stillbrew/togs )were the standard green with black overlay, usual TAC signs painted on in yellow or green/black depending on cam. We also had names painted on the front side bins on each tank relevent to what sqn you were in, so, A sqn would have names begining with A, and B Sqn names with B etc etc. Each Regiment had their own little variations such as RTR had an eye painted on each side of the turret... John
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 08:16 PM UTC
I think their website is having an issue. Seems all categories bring up the same page and don't expand.

But if you do a search like for "weight" you'll get a specific page and it will expand that category on the left menu.

http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=1&category=6&product=382

http://www.accurate-armour.com/showaaproducts.cfm?category=6&subcategory=47

For reg numbers, I've sliced up spares and put on the right background.
Jacko464
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 10:19 PM UTC
You could try here for c/s and squadron markings,cheaper than AA as well.

http://www.kingfisherminiatures.co.uk/1-35-Decals-c9.htm
 _GOTOTOP