_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Meng: Leopard 2A7
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 04:15 PM UTC

If I recall correctly, the newest Leopard model from Meng was announced on Januray 1st 2016. Now the company shows the boxart photo, suggesting the project is slowly coming to its end.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Hellrabbit
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 05:54 PM UTC
No sprue shots? It will be much more interesting to compare it with Tamiya A6 and HB A4M CAN
ejasonk
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 06:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No sprue shots? It will be much more interesting to compare it with Tamiya A6 and HB A4M CAN

Meng is doing the A4, this would be the basis to built on..
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 06:50 PM UTC
I just finished sourcing parts for a 2A6. Looks like Meng just saved my pocket book.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 08:15 PM UTC
Anything Meng is all right by me!
ejasonk
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:15 PM UTC
But Meng, please change your plastic. The green one is horrible
Hellrabbit
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

recycling plastic is cheap dude。。。or the price will go crazy...
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Er, no. Even new plastic for a kit like this could cost £0.30 at most.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:31 AM UTC
Doesn't the Leopard 2A7 have an optional up-armor package similar to the Leopard 2A4M CAN? I wonder if Meng would release another 2A7 kit with the additional armor or if someone would do it in resin? Just because I have a pathological need to have every Leopard 2 variant.
Hellrabbit
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Er, no. Even new plastic for a kit like this could cost £0.30 at most.

first you have to.understand how a model brand China operates and how much it would cost in China。the cost of different plastic makes big difference.
Hellrabbit
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Doesn't the Leopard 2A7 have an optional up-armor package similar to the Leopard 2A4M CAN? I wonder if Meng would release another 2A7 kit with the additional armor or if someone would do it in resin? Just because I have a pathological need to have every Leopard 2 variant.

A7 has nothing to do with all thr A7+ family. in fact A7 was based on the combat record of canadian rented A6M and then upgraded by using dutch LEOPARDA6.
since hobbyboss has already started their leopard rebirth project and A4M doesnt let us down...i will put my money on them(AFAIK they got 3 professional consultants at least and two of them knows things very well)
okievit
Visit this Community
Cadiz, Spain / España
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 206 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

since hobbyboss has already started their leopard rebirth project and A4M doesnt let us down...i will put my money on them(AFAIK they got 3 professional consultants at least and two of them knows things very well)

That nearly sounds like you have no connection to them... nearly.

Olaf
Hellrabbit
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That nearly sounds like you have no connection to them... nearly.

Olaf

somebody always need to do some offbook ops right olaf? what is next project of clinic?
bilbobee
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 03:30 AM UTC
Meng kits are the best, what quality!
hliu24
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 798 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 04:40 AM UTC
there is no Remote gun station on this one?

Thx
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 06:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

A7 has nothing to do with all thr A7+ family. in fact A7 was based on the combat record of canadian rented A6M and then upgraded by using dutch LEOPARDA6.

Ah, thanks. I was thinking that there was additional armor available for the 2A7. I knew the 2A7+ had a package.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

there is no Remote gun station on this one?

Thx

The station is only fitted to the 2A7+ variant. Meng is doing the vanilla 2A7 without that and other LIC equipment
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 07:23 AM UTC
Regarding Meng's plastic, I was just starting on the Hobbyboss Leopard 2A4M kit and was thinking the plastic was similar to Mengs and not just in color.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 08:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just finished sourcing parts for a 2A6. Looks like Meng just saved my pocket book.

How will having parts for a 2A6 help you with a 2A7? There are quite some big differences. Hull rear right side for one...

Jim
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ah, thanks. I was thinking that there was additional armor available for the 2A7. I knew the 2A7+ had a package.

The 2A7 is fitted with the belly mine protection armour...as it was fitted to the leased Canadian 2A6M CANs....which in turn have become the 2A7s. The 2A7 has the ability to mount passive add-on armour if needed. The 2A7s in German service don't mount the add-on armour.

Interestingly the 2A7's PERI R17 for the commander and the gunner's sight are the ATTICA thermal sight. This is third generation thermal and the imagery is amazing. The ATTICA thermal sight is scheduled as an upgrade for Canadian and Danish Leopard 2s as well.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 01:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

How will having parts for a 2A6 help you with a 2A7? There are quite some big differences. Hull rear right side for one...

Jim

I haven't started buying them, yet. I plan ahead, but won't buy anything before I start laying down paint on my current project.
Hellrabbit
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 05:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The 2A7 is fitted with the belly mine protection armour...as it was fitted to the leased Canadian 2A6M CANs....which in turn have become the 2A7s. The 2A7 has the ability to mount passive add-on armour if needed. The 2A7s in German service don't mount the add-on armour.

Interestingly the 2A7's PERI R17 for the commander and the gunner's sight are the ATTICA thermal sight. This is third generation thermal and the imagery is amazing. The ATTICA thermal sight is scheduled as an upgrade for Canadian and Danish Leopard 2s as well.

now you give me another reason.to.revise and uograde the old.set...lol
Beobachtungsbereich
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 10:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The A6M tanks in Canada are the same ones we had overseas.

Regards
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The A6M tanks in Canada are the same ones we had overseas.

Regards

You are correct Frank...I mixed up the logistics chain on the tanks.

Canada kept the Leopard 2A6M CANs that were originally "leased" for Afghanistan. In turn Canada purchased 20 x Dutch Leopard 2A6NLs and provided them to Germany as payment for the 2A6M CANs. The ex-Dutch Leopard 2A6NLs have now been converted in the German Leopard 2A7s.
 _GOTOTOP