_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Von Mansteins Orchestra.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:00 AM UTC
Ola Everybody.

Long time no show here but never stopped building.

I like to show something that I finished last year.

It features a heavy howitzer position during the siege of Sevastopol. Scale is 1:35. The Skoda 30,5 Siege Howitzer is the excellent kit from Takom. Painted with Tamiya Acrylics and Weathered with MIG Pigments and AK Interactive weathering fluids.
Figures come from Dragons Heavy Artillery crew premium edition. Excellent figures. Built OOTB and painted with Humbrol Enamel and some oils.
Groundwork is built up out of foam with a covering of spackle, Heki Decovlies for Grass, Mininatur weeds and some scratchbuilt items out of styrene.
Very enjoyable project.

Thanks for watching

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:14 AM UTC
First off-WELCOME HOME!!! So nice to see you on the board again buddy!
Very nice vignette here. Love the groundwork and the mortar is very well done and painted as are the figs. I have never seen these trumpy figs finished before. They look pretty good out of the box.
J
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:17 AM UTC
Robert, nice diorama ! Great attention to detail ! The knocked down fence, nice touch ! Two different wood shades and rusty nail holes. Top notch figures, once again, nice little details, dirty knees & boots, 5 O'clock shadows, the guy with the clip board and the page flipped over with writing on it. The guy wheeling up the next round, his hands actually grip the handles, NICE ! What Humbrol colors did you use for the uniforms ?
Oh yeah, the Skoda, I almost forgot that. Great rifling on the barrel. It really pops !
THANK YOU for sharing !

Tom
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 01:19 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys.

@Jerry
Thanks for the welcome. And of course for the compliments. The figures are not trumpeter. I used dragons heavy artillery crew for this gun. Originally designed for their SfH 18 but as the premium edition of that set comes with 1 or 2 alternate poses they are very easy to adapt to other guns. Worked very well with the skoda.

@Tom
Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you notice all the small details of this diorama. I spend a lot of time on those making sure everything was right. Humbrol colors used for the uniforms.... pretty much their whole range of greens. All the uniform pieces were painted with a shadow a base and a highlight. Each of a different shade of green. Sometimes even mixed with another color. Another fun fact. None of the uniform pieces between the soldiers match. All the tunics and pants have a different shade of green.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 01:36 AM UTC
3 for 3!!! I'd be hard pressed to choose of your latest dios. The Skoda gun & crew is definitely another fine example of how the details can make a scene stand out. Thanks for sharing your last three efforts so the rest of us can marvel at them.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 01:53 AM UTC
wow!! excellent work all around!! gotta get one of those Takom Skoda 30.5's; especially interesting at this time since I am reading Gottlob Bidermann's memoir In Deadly Combat; had it on my shelf for a while and finally got to it; his artillery unit (PAK 37's) was at Sevastopol
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 03:09 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies

@jack
Thanks a lot for the compliments

@ Brian
Thanks for the compliments. Really appreciated. I can wholehearted recommend the takom 30.5 howitzer. It's a really neat kit of an impressive gun. Is the book memoirs in deadly combat any good? I have a bit of a soft spot for the 36mm pak and collect pretty much everything to do with that gun
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 03:38 AM UTC
This looks so great,it almost looks real.It has all the feel of the siege of Sevastopol.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 04:06 AM UTC
Nice one Robert, I see you have been busy... very nice painting and composition. The guys really do look as if they are all looking at the same thing. I like the chap with his foot on the step up, with the paper in his hand, a nice touch. I think your figure painting is quite subtle and restrained as well. Yeah, very good.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 04:11 AM UTC
very nice Robert. very nice indeed.

Cheers,
C.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 05:57 AM UTC
Once again you have an outstanding piece of art for us to gaze upon. It's always the little details that make ordinary extraordinary.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:27 AM UTC
Another great Dio Mr. Blokker! The 5th photo from the top is especially cool to me, as the angle, and the focus help to show off the subtlety of your painting skills.... Their five o'clock shadows are so well done! You have captured the intensity of the moment to perfection. Great inspiration for us mortals Robert.

Looking forward to your next build with the same amount of expectation as your troops, looking at their next target!

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 02:28 PM UTC
Awesome dio! Love all of the details.

Gary
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 12:10 AM UTC
Thanks everybody for the kind replies and compliments.

@Jason
Thanks a lot for the compliments really appreciated.

@ Matthew and Dave
Thanks to the both of you for the compliments on the painting. Something I'm very pleased about. The figures are the result of over 75 hours of painting. First time ever that I decided to sit down and try to use as long as was necessary to get the best result my skills allowed me. And I'm glad i did. From the uniforms to the faces and weathering I just stopped till i was satisfied.

@Charles
Thanks a lot for the kind words

@Bob and Gary
Thanks to the both of you. I'm glad you guys noticed the details. A lot of thought and work went into that. And I really believe it paid off into making the scene more convincing.
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 12:58 AM UTC
Great work again!
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 05:52 AM UTC
It is a good book. Several copies can still be found online
Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 304 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 04:03 PM UTC
Some great work here. I really like you ground work and the painting and weathering is spot on.
 _GOTOTOP