_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya sd,kfz 251 ausf D
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 09:25 PM UTC
This one-

How does this compare to the Dragon or AFV Club kits? Been years and years since I've built it. Love the figures it comes with too. But how does it hold up these days?

Thanks!

-Conor
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 09:55 PM UTC
I've got this one and the one with the short-barreled 75mm in the stash. Both the AFV & Dragon kits have a few better details, but are fussier to build. For my money, I like Tamiya's ease of construction, and with a few AM add-ons and some TLC, these kits will build up into really decent results. IMHO anyway...
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 09:56 PM UTC
Hopefully it has a reasonably accurate interior unlike the Ausf C kit. Chances are still good that the Dragon and AFV versions are better.
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 10:22 PM UTC
Hi Conor,

Quoted Text

This one-

How does this compare to the Dragon or AFV Club kits? Been years and years since I've built it. Love the figures it comes with too. But how does it hold up these days?

Thanks!

-Conor

I like the kit and the figures. I've built a lot in years. I remember when I was young
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 01:02 AM UTC
As others have said, it depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go with adding details.
Also how do you want to balance build-ability with detail.

Hull fit
The Tamiya kit with it's one piece lower hull and one piece upper adds only the fenders.
The DML kit has a multi-part lower hull and that makes aligning the upper more tricky.
The AFV Club hood and fenders fit is sloppy and takes even more care, at least in the initial releases.

I have built several of each, and the Tamiya hull is the only one I have not had trouble with.

Interior
The interior details of the DML and AFV kits are worlds better than the Tamiya. The visors especially stand out on the DML and AFV kits as being very visible and better detailed.
DML comes with decals for the guages, AFV I dont think did and I know Tamiya did not.
For what it is worth, Archer does GREAT transfers for the gauges and metal data plates.

Tracks
Tamiya one piece rubber bands
DML I am trying to remember if these have the separate track pads like the 250 series, I seem to think that's what I remember
AFV individual link tracks.

Running gear and lower hull
Tamiya is simplified and missing some (barely visable) linkages
DML and AFV have a more complete, but more fiddly assembly.

the Missing links 251 tweeks list
http://missinglinks2.tripod.com/251.pdf

Mike
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 01:45 AM UTC
built it years ago; good kit; not fancy but that's OK; picked up another one at a recent contest; got Dragon, Hobbyboss, Trumpeter, Cyberhobby, an old Testors Puma, & Emhar Mk. IV [1/35; my second; $10 at a contest] in the stash; but Tamiya's my "default" fave;
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 12:25 PM UTC
I still like those Tamiya-kits, despite them being outclassed on nearly every aspect by others these days. Except for ease of construction and on an economical level.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 04:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This one-

Thanks!

-Conor

Dragon kits are the best, tons of extra's detailed. AFV Club are ok...thick plastic parts. Tamiya is too simple outdated, lack detail...unless you like that.
If you want your $'s worth I suggest you build a Dragon 3 in 1 kit , preferably the bridge engineer one. You will be amazed at what you get in the kit. #6224 This kit comes with a driver, a pair of boots, a leather coat..all made of DS material. Some of their kits come with DS material extra figure "heads". Or Dragon kit #6187 251 Ausf C
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 07:54 PM UTC
Depends on which 251 kit you want, the D model with the flat hull sides like the Tamiya kit pictured or the C model with the angled sides like David showed.

DML also makes a 3in1 D model with the Falke IR parts, the /9 Stummel cannon and a vanilla D as options, kit # 6233

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2004/december/first-looks/DML_251.php

and a 3 in 1 Engineering version #6223 with bridges and the 'door knocker' cannon.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/dml-sdkfz-251:7-ausf-d-pioneerpzwg-3-in-1-plastic-model-military-vehicle-kit-1:35-scale-6223

But I think both are oop currently.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 09:20 PM UTC
The Tamiya kit is showing its' age but the price is good and also ease of construction is way better than the other two. Depends on what you need the kit for? For a quick build it works fine still.
J
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 04:48 PM UTC
I've got several of these, but they live in the back room now, it's the DML and AFV Club ones that are on display! I'd agree with the comments above, for ease of assembly the old Tamiya kit knocks spots off the others, but that is the only advantage. It is much simplified inside. I find the DML kits a real bind to get the hull pieces lined up on. The AFV Club ones aren't quite so bad. AFV Club tracks are rubber one piece (they also do AM working tracks) but they are about as good as these can be. DML are usually Magic Track type. Don't knows if they will be slipping into "DS mode" for the Sdkfz251s any time soon.
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 - 12:24 AM UTC
Whoa, more feedback than I expected haha. Thank you all though. I think the big appeal to the Tamiya kit for me are the figures, I wish they'd release them aeperately. They would go great with the DML or AFV club ones. I have built the AFV Club 251 D, and didn't have much trouble, contrary to the general consensus.

In regards to DML, I can't stand the assembly of the tracks for the 251s, so a DS version would be great for me haha.

-Conor
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 04:05 PM UTC
They did release the figures seperately, as "German Frontline Infantry (no mention that they're SS notice). The pointing figure and driver aren't included, you get an officer, a soldier kneeling firing MP44, a grenade thrower, the man leaping out and the machine gunner.
 _GOTOTOP