_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Field Grey match and Panzer Black
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 09:14 PM UTC
Hello,

I am painting a german machine gun team and some tank crewman for a diorama I am working on. I tried using Tamiyas field grey for the german uniforms but it is way too green and now my minis look like those cheap plastic green army men. What tamiya colours or combos could I use to make a better field grey? I have on hand field grey, german grey, light sea grey, japanese navy grey, as well as buff and khaki.

In addition what is the best way to make panzer black uniforms look worn, I have done a base coat of flat black but this is too dark and I would like to make it look more faded and worn.

Cheers
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 10:53 PM UTC
For German tankers, I use Vallejo Panzer Uniform Black, which is not just a flat black. As for Field Grey uniforms, in my opinion from observations, it there is some green in it. Again, I use German Field Uniform from Vallejo.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 11:29 PM UTC
Try mixing some flesh into the black for the base colour for the black uniform, which allows you to use pure black for the deep shadows.

Field grey, particularly late in the war, displayed considerable variety in colour but there was often some greenish tint, although I recall that they became more neutral later.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 11:36 PM UTC
Thanks for the tips. I will try mixing some german grey and field grey to get more of a green grey
Grip84
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 12:31 AM UTC

Think there's just one standard color for Feld Grau? Nah.
And this is just the Armee.

Cheers
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 12:40 AM UTC
I am just worried this might a little too green

wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 02:56 AM UTC
Matt

I would suggest you use that as a base colour, and give it a lighter coat (mix some buff with the field grey) on the high points so that the darker colour becomes the shadow areas.

Your colour is pretty close to the back row in the pic provided by Scott.

Regards

Rob
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 07:58 AM UTC
I notice the collars on some of the uniforms are darker than the uniforms, were these a black or a dark green?
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 08:41 AM UTC
Those were usually dark green, although this could vary and by war's end often did.

I usually paint my figures with Vallejo Model Color. For the average German uniform I use Feldgrau (830) for the jacket and trousers, German Uniform Green (920) for the collar when applicable, German Gray (995) for the helmets.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 07:09 PM UTC
The different color on the collars did not appear by the wars middle to end. Same color.
You can see there is no specific "fielgrey" and your green looks fine to me.
I have found my go to color is by Lifecolors. They have two different shades,one is greyer than the other.
Starting in the middle of the war,the uniforms very often looked a lot more brown because captured Soviet coats and jackets were ground up and used in the German material.
Important point is,,,,there is no standard color.
J
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 08:49 PM UTC
You could mix Tamiya Field Grey, with Tamiya RLM Grey till you achieve the desired color.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 01:13 AM UTC
Here is one of the completed figures minus adding shadows, I think it turned out okay considering I am fairly new to figure painting. I am also curious how people paint the two white bars on each side of the collar I am having tough time doing that.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am also curious how people paint the two white bars on each side of the collar I am having tough time doing that.

Let Archer's do the work! http://www.archertransfers.com/FG35047A.html
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 03:05 AM UTC
I deliberately don't use a set colour for field grey, I mix black, white, yellow, blue and a tiny amount of red until I am happy. This means that all my figures naturally have varying colour uniforms - just like real life. For late war uniforms, the "white bars" or litzen were in a subdued light grey without the earlier waffen farbe "lights".
BTW I'd be interested to know what that uniform is that is 2nd from the right middle row. It looks like a WW1 uniform - no breast pockets. The one next to it, in the middle looks like a police uniform in "police green".The giveaway is the extra buttons.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I deliberately don't use a set colour for field grey, I mix black, white, yellow, blue and a tiny amount of red until I am happy. This means that all my figures naturally have varying colour uniforms - just like real life. For late war uniforms, the "white bars" or litzen were in a subdued light grey without the earlier waffen farbe "lights".
BTW I'd be interested to know what that uniform is that is 2nd from the right middle row. It looks like a WW1 uniform - no breast pockets. The one next to it, in the middle looks like a police uniform in "police green".The giveaway is the extra buttons.

The one you mention is the Waffenrock. It's a dress coat. It has eight buttons instead of the usual five, and no front pockets. Last time I saw one in photo, it was in a picture of a young Gefreiter and his bride in her white dress.

Best wishes,

Gaz
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 02:26 AM UTC
Ah yes, I see it now, if I could have seen the cuffs I would have recognised it straight off. It's in a bit of a state - funny you would have expected it to be in better shape than the others seeing as it would have had less wear, but I suppose it is 70 odd years old.
 _GOTOTOP