_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Zvezda T-72B
michael9319
Visit this Community
Denmark
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 04:19 PM UTC
For my first build in about a decade I seem to have gotten off to a rather bad start. The seller decided to save on shipping and to throw the glue into the kit box, and so now I have two snapped axles on the base model. Nonetheless, I think now would be a good start to post my first build blog entry while I wait for replacement parts.

My idea is to recreate (to the best of my abilities) a T-72B from the early days of the conflict in eastern Ukraine. Most armored vehicles on the rebel side back then were part of an armored group by the name of "Oplot" (stronghold), later on the group was dissolved and its spiritual successor today is the armored battalion "Diesel".

More reference pictures of this tank in specific can be found on http://mishaxaxa.livejournal.com/419.html under "727". I have yet to find out what has become of this T-72B 727 but it is something which I am still researching.

If I don't end up getting a replacement part, I'll probably just end up jury rigging the mold canals to work as axles as they have the same approximate diameter.

Anyway, I know that there's not much feedback to give so far, but any feedback at this stage would be appreciated.
LeeSpender
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 05:03 PM UTC
Welcome back to the best hobby Michael
A shame about the axles can you drill the centre out and put wire inside them and then flood it with extra thin cement and push the axle back on and let dry for a day or two it's worth trying while waiting for a replacement.
Nice subject though I will be watching your progress and I also just started my first build on this site as well anyway good luck with yours

Lee
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 05:48 PM UTC
this should be fun to watch and welcome back to the hobby! maybe try contacting Zvezda to get replacement parts sent to you?

I have had to do that with other brands of models in the past, it's somewhat of a pain, but in the end it's worth it.
michael9319
Visit this Community
Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 06:40 PM UTC
Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will try to fix it while the replacement is on the way, but I'm hesitant to do it right now as I still haven't reached an agreement with the seller.
michael9319
Visit this Community
Denmark
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 02:25 AM UTC
Hey so a bit of an overdue update with good and bad news. After a bit back and forth with the supplier it turned out that I am unable to get a replacement part. Good news is that I got the front pivot point to stick, but the rear one still leaves me with a predicament. My dremel won't allow for a drill bit small enough, so I'm considering the option of heating up a tiny drill bit and melting my way through. Any thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/cP1qM6I.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bEOd8y9.jpg

In the meanwhile I'll try to do as much as possible with filing parts down and planning ERA placement, hopefully there'll be enough bricks.
michael9319
Visit this Community
Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 11:25 PM UTC
So I've gone ahead with the process of making a new pivot point for the drive wheel.

I ended up opting for a Mcgyver approach in which I heated a dart with a candle, then proceeded to push it through over a prolonged period of time. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Next order of business I'll be tracking down a file and a clamp and hopefully then I'll be able to move on with the model.
michael9319
Visit this Community
Denmark
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 12:51 AM UTC
A bit of an overdue update:

I managed to fix the chassis mold after a great deal of sanding and burning, and went ahead with finishing the build.

I have a couple of things left that I would like to do before I'm comfortable with calling it complete, but it's reached a point where I like to display it so yay for that.

I was a bit disappointed that the seam in the barrel turned out the way it did, but but I'm accepting it as a lesson from a first and hopefully not last build.

I lack any good footage from the right side, so I freestyled a bit more than usual there.

Throughout the building process I came to the grim realization that I was working on a deficit of ERA bricks (can't get enough of those), so the sides had to suffer a shortage in order to make the front and turret look nice and covered.

As always, C&C is welcome.
KuKLiNsKi
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 04:07 AM UTC
you painted ERA bricks way too nice
as you can see there's a cacophony with those ERA bricks, they remove and mix them as they want that's why there's so many different colors..
also maybe some weathering and dirt/dust?

old Dragon/Zvezda/Revell T-72 is crap and it's missing many ERA bricks yes
spartan01
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 244 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 04:41 AM UTC
you need to paint the rubber on the wheels too
michael9319
Visit this Community
Denmark
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 04:39 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated

Quoted Text

you painted ERA bricks way too nice
as you can see there's a cacophony with those ERA bricks, they remove and mix them as they want that's why there's so many different colors..
also maybe some weathering and dirt/dust?

old Dragon/Zvezda/Revell T-72 is crap and it's missing many ERA bricks yes

Dirt and rust are certainly on the list of things to buy. I tried to get that mismatched ERA look but I guess I failed in that regard, I suspect you're talking about the sides? I may have to repaint that.

Quoted Text

you need to paint the rubber on the wheels too

Oops I completely missed that, thanks for the heads up!
 _GOTOTOP