_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
painting animals
raffrecon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 05:33 PM UTC
Hey everyone,

Any tips / links for painting 1/35 scale animals? I wasn't to include a dog in my current dio project, but have never attempted this.

Dan
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 05:56 PM UTC
I always just google a pic of the animal I'm trying to paint and then treat it pretty much as I would any other figure.

Paul
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 07:14 PM UTC
Hi Dan,

This thread is about horses but the concepts are the same: Paint Horses

Shep Paine wrote several books that are still available and they cover, again, predominately painting horses.

So a dog? Not to be silly, but what kind? F'instance, my sheltie had spots that were both hard-edged and had a gradation to the difference colors of fur. My beagle - I could paint him with hard masks!

Back in the 1980s Fine Scale Modeler had a series of modeling how-to's by some famous modeler, and he addressed painting critters. Depending on what color the fur is, the key to painting animals is capturing the sheen of their fur - even dirty fur. IIRC, he reminded people that there really isn't a true black in beast fur, it will be extremely dark brown or even blue. So the key is to add subtle highlights. Also, critter fur tends to be earthtones; looking at my beagle yesterday I noted that his fur is an exact match for fallen dry magnolia leaves. So paint beasts earth tones.

_GOTOTOP