_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Takom: New AMX-13 Variants and Something Completely Different
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 12:44 PM UTC

Here are the news from Takom, announced at Shizuoka 2016 show. Two new AMX-13 variants and something for the serious collector in 1/1 scale as well.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
spstreeter
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 07:29 PM UTC
Takom is quickly becoming one of my favorite manufacturers. I love that they do things sort of out of the ordinary. Great kits!
ULIX-VM
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
KitMaker: 834 posts
Armorama: 649 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 02:31 AM UTC
takom,tamiya,heller,and other kit modelers can doing the difference.
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 01:33 PM UTC
The news about the Type 59/69 is great.
phantom8747
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 05:13 PM UTC
The only thing I don't like about Takom is how parts are attached to sprues with the big point that has to cleaned off of part. Esp. hard on split barrels.
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 11:24 AM UTC
I found it best not to clip parts from a Takom sprue too close to the finished surface. That always seemed to create a little 'crater' even with sharp nippers. Leave a little extra and carefully trim with sharp knife and/or fine sandpaper. After getting used to them I really appreciated the effort the designers took in placing the attachment points. (Chieftain kit.) The plastic is slightly different too, like a cross between styrene and resin.
aristeidis
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 621 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 12:11 PM UTC
Are there any reviews concerning the variant with Chaffee turret? I cannot see anymore the kit in TAKOM'S webpage and in several eshops it seems discontinued? Are there any issues of fitting or accuracy concerning the kit?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Are there any reviews concerning the variant with Chaffee turret? I cannot see anymore the kit in TAKOM'S webpage and in several eshops it seems discontinued? Are there any issues of fitting or accuracy concerning the kit?

http://www.takom-world.com/page/57/index5.htm
click on the correct picture to get this:
http://www.takom-world.com/page/57/106.htm
Is this the kit you are looking for?

For sale at my favourite plastic dealer:
http://www.modellbau-koenig.de/Militaermodellbau_135/Panzer/Panzerfahrzeuge_-_ab_1945/Kampfpanzer/AMX-13_Chaffe_Turret_in_Algerian_War_1954-1962__i13_52146_0.htm

I haven't seen any reviews though, haven't searched either.
Don't know where they got the Chaffee turret from but there should be reviews of the chassis (AMX-13) somewhere.
/ Robin
aristeidis
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 02:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

http://www.modellbau-koenig.de/Militaermodellbau_135/Panzer/Panzerfahrzeuge_-_ab_1945/Kampfpanzer/AMX-13_Chaffe_Turret_in_Algerian_War_1954-1962__i13_52146_0.htm

Don't know where they got the Chaffee turret from but there should be reviews of the chassis (AMX-13) somewhere.
/ Robin

Thanks for the reply! That is the exact kit and the dealer i am also going to buy from. But i remember that i have read somewhere about accuracy issues with the chaffee turret! that is why i was trying to find reviews or discussions about the kit but i cannot find anything!
MikeKeenan
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 02:28 PM UTC
I found an ibox look of the AMX-13 Chaffee Turret. The turret seems to be a completely new tool, just for that kit.

http://heller-forever.forumdefan.com/t7317-takom-amx-13-chaffee-turret I think there is another boxing with a spare AMX-13/90 turret In France.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 03:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Robin

Thanks for the reply! That is the exact kit and the dealer i am also going to buy from. But i remember that i have read somewhere about accuracy issues with the chaffee turret! that is why i was trying to find reviews or discussions about the kit but i cannot find anything!

Issues with Chaffee turret:
Yes. The first releases from Bronco had problems. These were fixed and Bronco then sold the upper half of the turret shell as a separate replacement part.
Newer deliveries of Broncos Chaffee variants have the corrected turret.
http://www.modellbau-koenig.de/Militaermodellbau_135/Zuruestteile/Plastikzuruestteile/M24_Chaffee_early__Turm__i301_30925_0.htm

You could read through all of this:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/186020&page=1
but the important part about the turret is in the first post showing the original turret top by Bronco and a 1:1 turret. The sloping front plate on the original Bronco turret met the horizontal top in a weld seam. On the real turret the sloping front plate has a bend near the top (not a simple flat plate) so that it meets the horizontal top plate a few cm in from the edge. In other words, the horizontal top plate does NOT provide ALL of the horizontal surface on top of the turret, a narrow strip at the front is provided by the sloping front plate.
Don't know why it was done this way in 1:1 scale, maybe to get the potential weakness of the weld seam away from the frontal area of the turret.
/ Robin

Edit: and it is not a simple straight line where the two plates meet either. In front of the commanders hatch there is a narrow strip (as I wrote above) but in front of the loaders hatch the front plate goes all the way back to support the hinges for the loaders hatch.
aristeidis
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 06:53 PM UTC
The above topics concern Bronco offering. Does the same issue occurs also with the TAKOM offering of the AMX with CHAFFEE turret kit?
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 07:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The above topics concern Bronco offering. Does the same issue occurs also with the TAKOM offering of the AMX with CHAFFEE turret kit?

Don't think so. You would need to take a close look at the front half of the turret roof to be certain though.
/ Robin
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 07:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't know why it was done this way in 1:1 scale, maybe to get the potential weakness of the weld seam away from the frontal area of the turret.
/ Robin

Edit: and it is not a simple straight line where the two plates meet either. In front of the commanders hatch there is a narrow strip (as I wrote above) but in front of the loaders hatch the front plate goes all the way back to support the hinges for the loaders hatch.

In this illustration the red line is the weld, the blue line is the bend.

I can only guess as to why the weld joint was not at the bend. It was probably to avoid a difficulty in bending a plate that was not the full width or to simplify the plate cutting schedule or the weld joints.

KL
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, September 04, 2017 - 08:16 PM UTC
It is not very clear on this image of Takoms Chaffee turret but I get the impression that the weld and the bend are not together:

It does seem as if a short section of the weld is missing, compare with the red line in the image that Kurt posted.

/ Robin
 _GOTOTOP