_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Barricading "water" effect
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 07:44 AM UTC
What is the best material to use as a "mold" for Envirotex to get smooth transparent or translucent sides like this?

I was thinking wood lined with clear packaging tape.

11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 06:51 PM UTC
Never mind, I found my answer in another thread.
the_hunted_fox
Visit this Community
Belgium
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 03:44 PM UTC
Hi,

can you tell us where you found the answer? Would love to know this to
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:36 AM UTC
Halfway down the page.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/244299&page=1
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 11:43 PM UTC
Hey, I know that discussion!

And yes, there is a lot to learn about water... and many good sources. I used LiquiTex with great success. Followed the advice of Russ and it was really educational. The top waves are made with the matte gel which goes on like cold cream and as it hardens, you can curl it. I then painted the waves with a wash and the tops of the waves with a gloss white wash to get the foamy look.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Don't know about the "smooth sides as you desire. You will get smooth but you will see the layers as you can only pour 1/4" at a time and you have to let that cure 72 hours. So it took almost two weeks to be the depth I wanted... however, I probably needed to make the drop off not quite so severe... lesson learned.

Glad it helped! leave me a question if you need or send me a PM!
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 02:47 AM UTC
Ivan, Patrick,
Yes-- you can use Envirotex to get this effect, however, if you look closely at the photo, this is probably a fairly shallow pour, as it appears to be for a single figure (fantasy?) and only covers the feet. By the shape of the pour, it looks like the builder used a small shallow box with rounded corners to do the pour too-- likely a small plastic open top box, sprayed with some type of mold release or carefully lined with some type of wax paper. He either pried the base out of the box when cured, or carefully cut it away. This looks like a single pour to me.
VR, Russ
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 08:15 PM UTC
Ivan,

I misspoke... it was EnviroTex for the water. I tried another product for the last pour because I thought it set up faster but even after 8 hours, it "self leveled" in spite of my best efforts to make gentle ways.

So I went with LiquiTex gel for the waves. It starts to gel within 15 minutes and using the handle of a paint brush, tines of a fork and an old tooth brush helped tease up the waves.

I am going to work with the gel later to see how much wave can be created. I would like to be able to do a wave with a very generous curl. We shall see!

I just used cardboard, lined with wax paper and then sprayed with PAM (bet they never thought of this usage. I didn't have it sealed quite correctly and you can see it also wasn't exactly perpendicular. So many things to learn but this was my first attempt.

I plan on enclosing it all in a wooden frame.

Thanks for the link!
 _GOTOTOP