_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
quality of Miniart's plastic..
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 09:58 AM UTC
is there any improvement of Miniart's plastic material? I found there plastic so brittle. particularly the german tramcar.no matter how careful I am, it just snap.
pod3105
Visit this Community
Waterford, Ireland
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 11:21 AM UTC
Richard,
from my personal experience- yes.
MiniArt did post an online appology quite a while back about the issues with the quality of the plastic in some kits. IIRC the "culprit" wasa change of supplier, but that has now been addressed.

HTH
Paul
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 01:12 PM UTC
IIRC any of their kits produced after September last year will be in the better plastic they used before the Crimean annexation.
48thscale
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 01:30 PM UTC
I got one of their "new" Harleys...same problem.
Touch it...snap it...especially small parts like wheel forks, steering bar. The kind of stuff that makes a motorcycle a motorcycle.

Maybe this box was put together with old stock, if not it says something about improvements.

H.

spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 02:16 PM UTC
Built the SU76, the T-44, the D-7 dozer, and they are all fine. The plastic is not as good a Dragon's, but it's almost as good. Thin parts do snap, but thin parts snap everywhere. I think sometimes they are just overly optimistic about how thin plastic parts you can manufacture.
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 02:45 PM UTC
never had any issues with superfine parts from Bronco.

MiniArt always has issues with that. Partially this is due to sprue layout and not plastic quality.
whyknoy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 06:19 AM UTC
got the d-7 kit.all the small,thin parts broke in so many places in wound up in the trash. will not buy any more of there kits.takes all of the fun out of modeling.
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 06:30 AM UTC
Is there any problem with their T44 because that is on my short list to buy???
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 06:38 AM UTC
I did get a recent figure set, and the plastic was VERY soft, but I did their SU-122 with interior, and it was not bad
whyknoy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 06:45 AM UTC
same here,got the d-7 and it is junk.will not buy any more of there kits.as you said it takes all the fun out of modeling.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 07:36 AM UTC
Just wrapping off the su-122 w/interior, no problems with the plastic. The WLA w/rider was fine as was an older AEC Mk III. The releases before last year this time going back about a year (two?) are hit and miss apparently. MiniArt had problems with their plastic supplier, they've been very public about it and I believe offered to replace sprues, don't hold me to that though. If you did get a bad batch, it wouldn't hurt to send a mail to MiniArt. Any kits produced this year should be fine plastic wise.

And if you are having problems with fine parts in general, it may be time to re-examine how you approach removing and cleaning parts. Not trying to give manufacturers a free pass, but you do need a delicate touch with delicate parts, understanding where stress areas are, and very sharp blades. My damage rate is very low since I started using a single edged razor blade and cutting block for parts removal, and simply replacing some parts, with rod for example, when it looks easier to do so than trying to remove and clean hand rails and what have you.

Kimmo
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 07:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... And if you are having problems with fine parts in general, it may be time to re-examine how you approach removing and cleaning parts. …

Funny! … Shortly after reading your comment, I was working on a Bronco kit which has exceptional plastic. I put those subassemblies aside for curing. And since I had some energy left, I went back to work on a previously started ICM kit. With confidence, I put sanding stick to plastic and just when I thought 🤔 … “Change gears for brittle styrene.” ... You guessed it ... 💥 SNAP! 😖

—mike
 _GOTOTOP