_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panda Cougar JERRV
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 06:33 PM UTC
Next project: Panda Cougar JERRV in my favourite 1/35 scale.

A JERRV (Joint EOD Rapid Response Vehicleor Joint Engineering Rapid Response Vehicle) is any vehicle that United States military engineers and Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) units use in war zones such as Iraq. In this case based on the 6x6 Cougar built by Force Protection Inc. In 2004, the new Cougar was designed by a small British-led team in the US at Force Protection, Inc., in response to an urgent requirement by the US Marine Corps. This was a new design, developed in the US, based on an evolution of vehicle mine-protection technology used by the South African Army and Rhodesian Security Forces since the 1970s. The very first sketches of the new vehicle were made in late March 2004 in response to those initial USMC inquiries. The rapid development and production that followed was based upon the USMC request that the first vehicle be delivered within 6 months of an order - which was subsequently placed in mid-April 2004 for 27 units.

Back to the kit: there is an awful lot of plastic in the box

Some of you may recall my early comments on the Panda M-ATV. The under carriage was a nightmare, but it still built into a lovely vehicle which is why I decided to risk another Panda kit. Glad I did too: it's so much easier to assemble. 2 good evenings at the bench have got the undercarriage completed

There are some small draws and more than a few bits of excess glue in trying to get it all together but overall I'm happy with it.

Now to start on the interior....
rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 10:01 PM UTC
Looking forward to your build Sean..
hliu24
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 798 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 11:08 PM UTC
Nice man, I have something to watch.

Jay
kubisz
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 977 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 12:01 AM UTC
I'll be following this thread too
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 06:11 AM UTC
Following too. I just got the Cougar 4x4 so I'll be watching to see what I can apply to my future build.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 08:41 AM UTC
Sean,
Don't forget my feature review on this kit if you need any help.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 01:23 PM UTC
Thanks Gents, hopefully I can make the build interesting for you....

And yes Pete, that review will be used, thanks, except for the cableing! Life is too short for that Mullarkey
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:46 PM UTC
Sean,
As CPT Sobel said in "Band of Brothers," "Mullarkey, that slang for B@#$S%#@?"

I owe you brother for the DUKE you sent me. Would it help if I cabled up the radios and you just paint and install them?
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 12:07 AM UTC
Thanks for the offer Pete, but it's OK. On the Cougar there won't be much visible anyway. I'll probably waste a few days trying to do something. Just tell me what is the secret to getting them to stay attached?

And yes, that is what the name means to Yanks anyway 😄 Makes an interesting conversation with visitors to the Emerald Isle
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 05:16 PM UTC
Latest lesson learned: pay attention to the instructions. There are two interior bases in the box and of course I used the wrong one. Thankfully hadn't attached too much stuff but did lose one of the pedals taking the front plate off

And well recovered now:

The gunners pedestal has 13 parts!

But actually goes together very nicely....

In really liking this kit. 😀
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 12:51 AM UTC
Some more progress with the storage cabinets and bins attached

35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 04:55 PM UTC
Haven't forgotten this one. Slowly doing bits and nearly rest to put the top hull on.

rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 07:27 PM UTC
How is the parts fit on this kit? Is it ok? Have you done the decal for the screen by yourself? Looking good so far
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 08:25 PM UTC
The fit if everything except the suspension is actually alright but they have far too many really tiny parts. It takes time and patience.

There is a decal for one monitor, but there are two monitors in the kit and should actually be a third in the rear for the operator of the Talon. The screen is just a photo downloaded from the Internet, scaled down and printed on ordinary paper. Trimmed to size a stuck on with clear acrylic paint
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 10:24 PM UTC
Like I said before.. I applaud you patience... If I ever get some REAL free time, I think I might give one of their more recent kits another chance.. they do look nice when built

Hisham
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 04:39 PM UTC
Thanks Hisham. It's stubbornness rather than patience

Scratch-built joy-stick for the Talon operator and resin monitor from Blast models

Had to add a back to the radio rack as it will be visible through the windows and the kit supplied radios are just a front face. It's all hollow behind.

The scrapes on the side of the dashboard, screen support, radio rack, seat and cooler are all from trying to fit the top hull half on. It would be OK as all those parts will not be visible but fitting the top on is not going easy.
The radio rack and explosives cabinet both catch on bolt heads on the interior walls. The air-con unit on the back is positioned too low for the bench that is below it. The top of the dashboard catches the underside of the window frame. Lots of clean-up needed

35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 05:47 PM UTC
This is driving me insane. Top is on but not very well and I broke off so many bits doing it....

Fit at front and rear are OK

But the sides are a mess. Left side has a small gap from the door back, which could easily be filled, but a much bigger gap along the hood

Right side has a large gap the entire length.

With a lot of glue and some serious pressure I might be able to reduce this a bit. And all of this after a lot of sanding, cutting etc. Anyway left & front are already glued so it's not coming off again.

If I were to do one again I'd not put the bins, bumpers or suspension in until after the two hull halves were closed up.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 09:58 PM UTC
With my 4x4, I had to carve up about half of the firewall for the top to get down further. From what you're saying, I'm afraid to put the dashboard on...
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 12:55 PM UTC
Dashboard was the easy bit Michael. A steel ruler up against the back of the dash as I was putting the top on. That let me move the top back 1 or 2 mm until the bottom of the windows had cleared the top of the dashboard. It's the side slots are a major pain
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 03:45 PM UTC
I know exactly how you must feel now

I have to admit I don't have half your patience, or stubbornness as you call it.. I actually ended up binning my 4X4

Hisham
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 06:15 PM UTC
I have never binned a kit, but do have a number of incomplete builds on the shelf of shame. But I always intend completing those ones....someday

This is coming very very close to going in the bin....I think I'll set it aside for a few days before giving it one last attempt.
youngtiger1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 534 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 01:06 PM UTC
Sean, just saw your build and I say your doing great. Despite some set backs with seams and all. It looks like a nice kit. I don't have this kit yet but I can see from your build that it's going to require a lot of dry fitting before any glue is applied. Well, I'll follow along this journey and see you to the end
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 02:11 PM UTC
Thanks Mike. I actually had another go at it last night. Got the right side sealed with the gap down to about 2mm the full length. Also gave myself serious cramps in my hand 😄

Today will try filling those canyons. Photos tonight....
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 02:32 PM UTC
I'd love to know how you tackle those gaps. My plan is to just lay a strip of plasticard between the halves and sand it smooth.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 08:51 PM UTC
Guys, check out my Build Feature. I address that issue.
 _GOTOTOP