_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon M60 released
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 12:57 AM UTC
Dragon M60 "slick" kit is out in Japan now: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10360756

Unfortunately for some reason DML decided to release what I considered to still be a "work in progress".... Some errors from M60A2 were corrected, so it is certainly an improvement (correct hull length now, correct angle of glacis plate, removed left fuel filler cap, correct rear hull doors), but the lower hull is still far from correct (particularly the front plate is messed up and I'm not sure if DML included all required wheels position corrections before pushing it to production). Driver's hatch is still wrong, even though DML had photos showing how it should work in M60...

The turret shell seems to be quite good, but the TC cupola is not quite correct and the canvas cover is missing from its front. I also suspect that the gun barrel was not corrected, so it is probably too long and too thin. I will probably receive a sample from DML, so will be able to verify everything - currently I can only describe what I see in HobbySearch photos (and what I know from the design process).

But hey, this is the first M60 slick in 1/35 in plastic!

Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 08:26 AM UTC
Thanks for sharing Pawel. I'll probably wait for AFV Club's (not that they announced it but I'm hoping). Ouch, $66 before shipping?! Dragon is not getting my business for sure.
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 09:04 AM UTC
wonder if Dragon will release israel M-60 with ERA....
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 04:57 PM UTC
Hard to see from the CAD images, but the cupola looks a tad "long" to me - like they stretched it in the middle. The missing MG canvas is a bummer.

Not sure yet if it is a worthy replacement to an Esci/Tamiya kitbash...
phantom8747
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 05:58 PM UTC
Dragon vs AFV Club(if they do one) I'll wait for AFV Club about the same price.Other than surface texture their M6oA1 is great.
phantom8747
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 05:59 PM UTC
Or I'll get the Def Models slick turret for one of my Esci kits
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 08:54 PM UTC
I can not be sure from the drawings, buit, I HOPE the stiffening ribs on the long sponson boxes are all full width.only the A2 had the center 2 shortened,to avoid rubbing the mantlet cover. Is the hull narrower? Or still wider than Academy's?
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can not be sure from the drawings, buit, I HOPE the stiffening ribs on the long sponson boxes are all full width.only the A2 had the center 2 shortened,to avoid rubbing the mantlet cover. Is the hull narrower? Or still wider than Academy's?

Only the width of the very front of the hull was changed as it was too narrow (because front fenders were too wide) in the M60A2 kit. The sposon boxes were not changed.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 07:23 AM UTC
The instructions show rear tail lights like the m48 armoured ones. I'm guessing it was just a mistake in the drawing, I can't imagine them getting that wrong since it's the same as all the other m60 variants.
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 10:34 AM UTC
Same goes for the drivers hatch ... the spure indicates it has been corrected although the instructions suggest otherwise.
I've preordered one some time ago so all in all it's good news to see major things fixed ... lifting my confidence to overcome the remaining issues more easily.
So I am still happy to see this version of the M60 come out at all !
Although DRAGON seems to have produced some "troubled" kits lately I am currently building their M1A2 V2 still being the overall best kit of the M1s around in my opinion.
And it also should be noted that after their M60A2 "disaster" DRAGON has reacted quickly to make correcting to the issues with have previously disappointed the customers ... just like TRUMPETER on their Leo 2A4 CAN rear grill.
So it's looks like some are listening which is a positive prospect for the future I think.

Cheers
Christopher
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The instructions show rear tail lights like the m48 armoured ones. I'm guessing it was just a mistake in the drawing, I can't imagine them getting that wrong since it's the same as all the other m60 variants.

Correct taillights are included in the kit. It's just instructions error.

And M60A2 have different taillights, so your statement isn't quite true.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And it also should be noted that after their M60A2 "disaster" DRAGON has reacted quickly to make correcting to the issues

Oh, you gave me a good laugh... "Dragon has reacted quickly"... Good one, thanks.

I reacted, not Dragon, and I wasn't quick enough, so in the end they run out of time (as they apparently set some deadline they didn't want to miss for some reason) to implement all changes I had requested and they released unfinished design, still with a lot of quite serious errors... Originally Dragon planned to release the M60 by adding just a new turret to the M60A2 kit hull (minus the CBSS bulge of course). To their credit: they indeed were willing to change the design and retool many parts once I showed them how bad the M60A2 was, but unfortunately in the end the release schedule was more important than implementing all corrections

Yes, it is better than M60A2, but it could have been so much better if they added just a couple of weeks at the CAD stage before cutting tools
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 02:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Same goes for the drivers hatch ... the spure indicates it has been corrected although the instructions suggest otherwise.
I've preordered one some time ago so all in all it's good news to see major things fixed ... lifting my confidence to overcome the remaining issues more easily.
So I am still happy to see this version of the M60 come out at all !
Although DRAGON seems to have produced some "troubled" kits lately I am currently building their M1A2 V2 still being the overall best kit of the M1s around in my opinion.
And it also should be noted that after their M60A2 "disaster" DRAGON has reacted quickly to make correcting to the issues with have previously disappointed the customers ... just like TRUMPETER on their Leo 2A4 CAN rear grill.
So it's looks like some are listening which is a positive prospect for the future I think.

Cheers
Christopher

I wish that CYBERHOBBY/DRAGON/BLACK PLAGUE would be as "quick" in correcting ALL of their 1/35 US/Allied kits as they supposedly had done with the M60A2... I WILL NOT go into detail about all the gaffs, mistakes and general lack of attention that C/D/BP "lavish" upon their US/Allied kits. That's already been done umpteen times over the last five years, or so... No matter; I'm STILL going to buy the AFV CLUB -A2, instead. I'll wait for comprehensive reviews of DRAGON's M60 before I buy one...
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 05:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And it also should be noted that after their M60A2 "disaster" DRAGON has reacted quickly to make correcting to the issues

"Oh, you gave me a good laugh... "Dragon has reacted quickly"... Good one, thanks. "

Considering the re-design to production process and taking other aspects like overall- and ongoing production-schedules, re-tooling, available resoureces, budgets and finances, logistics etc. etc. into account .... I still review their actions in the last few months as "quick".

Cheers
Christopher
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 06:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I still review their actions in the last few months as "quick".

Yeah, but I wasn't laughing about the "quick" part...
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 09:48 PM UTC
Is there any additional information at this point? You said there were still some questions remaining, about fixes you suggested like the roadwheel stations. Getting impatient for an M60 that looks right to someone who rode them...me!
 _GOTOTOP