_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Dragon M4A3E8 Sherman “Thunderbolt VII”
docbrick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 06:31 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

I completed this build a few weeks ago but forgot to post it here.

Here is my take on the Dragon M4A3E8 Sherman “Thunderbolt VII” 1/35 kit. Enjoy!

Any constructive comments are appreciated.

You can find a full review/build of this model on my blog: Dragon M4A3E8 Sherman “Thunderbolt VII”

Thanks!
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 07:45 AM UTC
Brett,
Very nice! I really like the streaking and the way you've treated the pioneer tools. I'm no Sherman expert, and everytime I see one of these posts, I see a new variant.

Really great looking build!

Gaz
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:45 AM UTC
Very nicely done! The only thing I can comment on are the rucksacks on the back engine deck, the straps are attached to nothing. Other than that, great work!
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 11:18 AM UTC
Hi Brett

Nice clean build, I really like the way the OD is modulated, the streaking and the painting of the tools.

I agree with the comment on the stowage - one move and most of it would fall off. Maybe attach it with some string? Personally I would make the stowage a bit lighter and add some color variety just to give it some interest, but that's up to personal taste.

I like the way the ammo can on the .50 is slightly different, though I believe it's a bit too green (OD was not green) and the clamp should have the same OD as the ammo can rack.

Great build!

Cheers!
Stefan
docbrick
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 11:36 AM UTC
Thanks for the constructive comments guys. This is my first time adding stowage to a tank. I like the string idea you mentioned, Stefan. What would be the preferred material for 1/35 scale rope?

As for the ammo can, I used the one I had laying around for reference, which I believe is of a more modern vintage. Oh well, lesson learned!

Thanks again for all feedback, it truly is invaluable.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 03:55 AM UTC
More stowage on the rear deck (but not blocking the grills) would help, along with a fluorescent yellow or cerise air recognition panel, which kept Allied fighter bombers from bombing friendly vehicles. They were pretty ubiquitous from the Normandy Breakout through the end of the war on the Western front.

Rubicon
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 06:34 AM UTC
two very nitpicky comments. The tracks are not sunk down deep enough on the sprocket teeth, and the sprockets are wrong. The only wartime maker of HVSS M4A3 76w HVSS tanks was CDA, or Chrysler Defense Arsenal, and they used the 'fancy' sprockets on all their tanks.

Not super clear in this image

You can see it a little better here

These are very minor, and only a Sherman fanatic would catch them. The model looks great, and much better than when I tried this kit!
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 05:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the string idea you mentioned, Stefan. What would be the preferred material for 1/35 scale rope?

Well, there's obviously no final answer on that, but I use normal sewing string, example here (not very clear but the best I could find on short notice...):

Cheers!
Stefan
docbrick
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:59 PM UTC
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I look forward to trying to employing some of these suggestions on future builds. The sewing string looks believable and doable: I may implement that on this build to keep the rucksacks in place.

Thanks again for your constructive comments
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 11:18 PM UTC
Very nice work. I need to get me a Sherman kit!
qcarr1
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 12:01 AM UTC
Great job, Brett! That is an absolutely beautiful build. I thought long and hard about trying that kit, but ended up building the Academy and new Tamiya Easy 8 because I knew the Dragon offering would be tough. They came out okay, but nothing like yours.

Thanks for sharing!

UPDATE - LOL I just read your build log! It's funny, because I went through the exact same experience you did with the infamous Dragon M4A3 (76)W HVSS Sherman (#9010). I just HAD to have an Easy 8 and boy did I pay for it. The mandatory lower hull renovation and the sink-hole infested single link tracks (that I cleaned, painted, glued together and then unwittingly installed BACKWARDs) provided enough trauma to put me out of the hobby for 20 years!

Again, thanks for your photos and you story made my day!
docbrick
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 08:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great job, Brett! That is an absolutely beautiful build. I thought long and hard about trying that kit, but ended up building the Academy and new Tamiya Easy 8 because I knew the Dragon offering would be tough. They came out okay, but nothing like yours.

Thanks for sharing!

UPDATE - LOL I just read your build log! It's funny, because I went through the exact same experience you did with the infamous Dragon M4A3 (76)W HVSS Sherman (#9010). I just HAD to have an Easy 8 and boy did I pay for it. The mandatory lower hull renovation and the sink-hole infested single link tracks (that I cleaned, painted, glued together and then unwittingly installed BACKWARDs) provided enough trauma to put me out of the hobby for 20 years!

Again, thanks for your photos and you story made my day!

And you made my day! Thanks so much for reading. I'm glad you could find some humor in such a relatable situation.

Thank you again everyone for your critiques and thoughtful words.
 _GOTOTOP