_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Near complete Assault gunner in 1/16
newtonk
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 07:24 AM UTC

Needs some final, finer touches to truly finish, but is otherwise done. Any feedback or tips, gratefully received.

Kylie
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 09:54 AM UTC
Looks awesome!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 10:04 AM UTC
Exceptional camo brushwork.
tanker86
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 03:26 PM UTC
Hi Kylie,

Amazing work there. Care to share your technique?

Cheers
edklingon
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 194 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 03:58 PM UTC
Amazing paint job!
Tobias5555
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 446 posts
Armorama: 445 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 08:54 PM UTC
Great paintjob
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 11:01 PM UTC
Very nice, congrats on making the pattern look so real.

Mario
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 11:05 PM UTC
Looks great and the colors really pop out. I'm amazed that the figure is also so balanced and able to stand on its own two feet without support.
newtonk
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 06:57 AM UTC
Thank you, gentlemen; it is a relief to see that I've not "screwed the pooch" on this one.

hello Tanker86, well, where to start? Multi-cam fascinated me from the first time I saw it, and I've been wondering how I'd paint it ever since. Then, when the figure was released, it became a no-brainer to do. I printed off an A4 page of multi-cam and studied it, by that I mean I looked at the pattern, such that it is, from all angles, and focused on each individual colour. Military-morons.com helped with the colours, and additional uniform images, and I got started.

There are 6 colours to multi-cam, the base four and the top two which make up the "droppings", being dark brown and light grey.

After selecting an earth brown, khaki, desert pink, and mid-green, it became a lot easier to visualise how to paint it. I base coated the figure in khaki and then started the masking. Painting multi-cam is all in the masking. Referring back to my printed pages for pattern and scale, I'd mask off parts of the figure, spray the next colour using my Tamiya super fine airbrush, then mask again, adding or moving masking as needed.

Once all four base colours were done, I removed the masking and went in with the brush to add those small areas of sharp edge colour.

That done, I applied the "droppings", being the light grey and dark brown on top, always referring to the printed pages seen in the background of the photos for pattern and scale.

The non-camo uniform items were painted from a half dozen other colours, and shade varied using white.

The only things I added to the figure was some wiring, a Live Resin helmet, and the folded bipod on the mg. The helmet was a pure choice thing as I wanted one with a cover on it. Likewise the bipod was to depict an assault gunner moving forward, giving covering fire, not going to ground anytime soon.

I washed the figure in a dark brown filter from Mig, the first time I've used one of these products, and I'm reasonable happy with the finish. I would absolutely do this figure again if I could, and would recommend it to anyone. It was a joy to work with, and any mistakes on the figure are my own.

I hope this makes sense, as I've just come off a nightshift and there is rock breaking going on over the road, thus I'm not sleeping.

I am now eagerly awaiting the next modern US figure in 1/16 scale, just so I can do this again. If there is demand for it, I'll document my next build and post a sbs article here.

thanks, and best regards

Kylie
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 12:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If there is demand for it, I'll document my next build and post a sbs article here.

That would be a great article for the site. Let me know when you decide to do it and I can help out with publishing the article.

Mario
newtonk
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That would be a great article for the site. Let me know when you decide to do it and I can help out with publishing the article.

Mario

All good, Mario; PM me some details of what you're looking for and I'll get started. I'm waiting on a new modern US 1/16 figure which we both know is imminent, and I'll get right on it.

have a great weekend,

Kylie

HEINE-07
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 - 08:28 AM UTC
Awesome!
youngtiger1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 534 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 - 12:25 PM UTC
Beautiful work. I want to start building figures soon and learn the skin tone paint technique. Can't wait to see what else you can share
tanker86
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 - 02:45 PM UTC
HI Kylie,

Thanks for sharing. Really look forward to your SBS.
 _GOTOTOP