_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
tamiya PanzerKampfWagen II replacement tracks
craigmason71
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 02:14 PM UTC

hi i am currently in the process of building this kit i am not happy with the rubber tracks supplied with the kit can you get after market tracks
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 02:28 PM UTC
Friul makes a set for these and Wespe.

Gaz
Alex_D
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 04:47 PM UTC
Man this kit is ancient - Putting aftermarket tracks on this old girl is guilding the lilly in my humble opinion.

I would suggest saving your aftermarket track money and buying one of Tamiya's more recent Pz.II kits (35292 or 35299).

The old Pz.II is still a fun kit for some nostalgic/retro modelling though, and if you're keen to replace the tracks I would try to find a modeller who's got a spare set of the nicer rubber tracks from Tamiya's Wespe kit (35200). You might need the Wespe drive sprockets too however (maybe someone else can confirm this?)

HTH 😬

Alex
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 05:14 PM UTC
Agreed that this kit has been surpassed by many Pz II, like Dragon's 6572, which comes with individual links.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 05:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Man this kit is ancient - Putting aftermarket tracks on this old girl is guilding the lilly in my humble opinion.

I would suggest saving your aftermarket track money and buying one of Tamiya's more recent Pz.II kits (35292 or 35299).

The old Pz.II is still a fun kit for some nostalgic/retro modelling though, and if you're keen to replace the tracks I would try to find a modeller who's got a spare set of the nicer rubber tracks from Tamiya's Wespe kit (35200). You might need the Wespe drive sprockets too however (maybe someone else can confirm this?)

HTH 😬

Alex

This old TAMIYA kit is supposed to represent an Ausf.F/G variant(s)- IMO, if you want to spend the money, you could buy the DRAGON Pz.Kpfw.II Ausf.F kit (It includes "Magic Tracks", an Interior, Clear Light Lenses, and a basic PE set), and just transfer the TAMIYA Turret Stowage Box onto back of the DRAGON Turret, if you like the looks of this particular style.

I have an extra one which I could sell you for $20.00 + Shipping, if you're interested...
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 05:33 PM UTC
@Dennis: The OP lives in the UK, FYI

OP: Like others have said, the kit you have originated in 1971 -- forty five years ago. If I were you, I'd build it up as a practice and then treat yourself and get a modern-tooled kit. Tamiya themselves released two new Pz IIs in 2008 -- they are gems of accuracy and ease of build.

A fruil aftermarket track set for the Pz II would be about 30 quid or so.

Bronco - Nr. AB3513 makes a set that may be cheaper.

But like others have said, simply finish this one for fun and move onto a better next kit.
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 05:48 PM UTC
I have just built this kit and it was a lovely breath of fresh air. Especially coming right after a few 500+ hundred part monsters

Took me maybe an hour to build and the best part was it cost me maybe $9 at Hobby Lobby.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 06:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Dennis: The OP lives in the UK, FYI

OP: Like others have said, the kit you have originated in 1971 -- forty five years ago. If I were you, I'd build it up as a practice and then treat yourself and get a modern-tooled kit. Tamiya themselves released two new Pz IIs in 2008 -- they are gems of accuracy and ease of build.

A fruil aftermarket track set for the Pz II would be about 30 quid or so.

Bronco - Nr. AB3513 makes a set that may be cheaper.

But like others have said, simply finish this one for fun and move onto a better next kit.

Hi! We've got plenty of the old TAMIYA Ausf.F/G kits here in the 'States!

I built mine years ago, using FRIUL Tracks, before BRONCO came out with their Pz.II sets. MODELKASTEN also sold Pz.II Tracks, but I opted for the FRIULs because they were actually CHEAPER at the time...
bairdlander
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 02:25 AM UTC
I bought 2 of these kits.Broke the track on one.Got Magic Tracks for same price of the kit.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 04:37 AM UTC
Good luck making a "G" out of that kit.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 11:32 AM UTC
The old Tamiya kit is all kinds of wrong for building an Ausf G. 5M has a much more accurate kit of the variant, with some excellent link and length tracks included.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 01:11 PM UTC
I have to admit I built one of these not long ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Much more than the Dragon or Bronco kits I've got. Sometimes it's nice to build something like this just to remind myself why I actually do this hobby. Simple and enjoyable. Then I wind up building something that just makes me swear after supergluing tiny bits to the ends of my fingers lol
Garrand
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:37 PM UTC
The old Tamiya kit was IIRC dimensionally accurate. With a little TLC and aftermarket part you can still build a good looking model from it. I would actually see about getting the old Alan/Arsenal Pz IIC kit for cheap, and rob it for the road wheels and idler (the Tamiya kit has it solid, when there should be an outer ring on it). Also IIRC Tiger Models does lift hooks, which can be used to dress up the hull. Finally pick up some AM KwK 30 and MG 34 barrels, and you're mostly there. As aformentioned, AM track from Fruil would be in order as well. You'll also need to tackle the stowage box issue on the rear fender as well, as this was a post-war museum mod IIRC. The suspension units could use an upgrade too, but those are harder to do.

Damon.
 _GOTOTOP