_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Beginner's Armor
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 - 10:49 AM UTC
Hello,

While on my usual sortie to the LHS I came across this one

I really didn’t pay much attention to it as it was in the kid’s section, and hey boys like me would rather spend time browsing at more serious, big boys stuff at the LHS!

On my way out however, I had a second glimpse, and reading what seems to say 1/72 scale, asked the shop attendant for a closer look at what’s inside.

I was expecting something like those cartoon-like, egg models – but apparently such was not the case. There was some level of detail, somehow looks like a Panther, and comes pre-painted too. It doesn’t come with decals though.

It was a US$5 hit on the wallet, but I thought I’d try it out, imagining myself to be a first-time builder.

The parts snap off by itself without much difficulty. No glue needed. It builds like those kiddie blocks:

I cheated a bit though – used an emery board to sand off areas it joined the sprues. I used a cutter for the gun barrel, to make sure I detach it without mishap.

Building it was quite straightforward. I especially liked that the instructions give you the build sequence within the sub-assembly step. A couple of minor snags though – the glacis and the panel with the driver’s hatch that proved to be a tight squeeze, so I sanded the connecting tabs for fit. The rest of the sections came in well fit-wise.

OOB Color-modulated

Close to an hour's work, it became a Panther:

I don't have a braille Panther to compare dimensions -- I guess it looks the part. This surely will not make it to the accurate kit list, but it was fun doing this – it doesn’t take long to build and have that satisfaction of completing a kit, with a bit of color in it.

I’d say kits like these is one good way of introducing the young ones to the hobby – simple, quick build, no noxious glue and yes, something that looks like your Dad’s tank!

Cheers,

Tat
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 - 12:12 PM UTC
Not bad for a puzzle.

You should have entered it for Big Cats mk. IV.

Lol

Gaz
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 - 03:59 PM UTC
That's awesome. I may have to find one of these for my son. Thanks for sharing.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 - 05:43 PM UTC
Looks good,nice modulation on a small kit,but parents will never allow their kids to build such a violent thing,I mean why is this even in our children's toy section ? but yes a nice little find.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 - 06:25 PM UTC
That's pretty cool. Looks more accurate than the Tamiya Panther Ausf A kit!
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 - 06:33 PM UTC
Not another Panther Where is our new Berge Panther kit ? Actually not a bad looking little kit for $5 . Might be handy to add extra vehicles to the Tank Wars table top game . I wonder what other tanks they make ?
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2016 - 07:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not bad for a puzzle.

You should have entered it for Big Cats mk. IV.

Lol

Gaz

Heh-heh that came across me, but I thought it may be an unfair campaign entry for all you cat lovers.

Quoted Text

Not another Panther Where is our new Berge Panther kit ? Actually not a bad looking little kit for $5 . Might be handy to add extra vehicles to the Tank Wars table top game . I wonder what other tanks they make ?

I thought "4D Model" was the brand so I googled around. It seems these puzzle toys are called 4D models and caters to wargamers. Here's a box of 8 from eBay:

The Panther I got wasn't from this manufacturer as the characters were Korean. So I looked it up, and their other offerings were a Tiger I, Stug, and Sturmmorser.

I didn't know 'til now that Academy was also into this thing:

WW2 and modern subjects -- seems a lot of choices out there for Junior!

Cheers,

Tat

_GOTOTOP