Hosted by Darren Baker
V-100/M706 turret ring diameter?
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:41 PM UTC
Thanks, Mike.

Yep - sounds like you've felt my pain. If I could find 1mm/.040 thou clear styrene, I'd be very happy.

Less the guns, the turret is 100% scratch. The basis for the 113 is a kit, I'll tackle one surface at a time until I get to the running gear. Hopefully by then the tracks I'm commissioning will be done. Then it's onto the 1/16 M113 MRV.
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 05:02 PM UTC
Almost done on the hatch. Green stuff makes it look messier than it is.

Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 05:14 PM UTC
As expected (hoped?) the primer has both hidden & exposed sins. Still, pretty chuffed. This may actually work out.

afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 08:20 AM UTC
Hi Greg
It's looking good. Those outer edges of the hatch are actually quite rounded, rather than a sharp angle. Rather looks like a sander was applied to the edge.
Have a look at this link - http://asnz.nz/forums/topic/14837-work-on-the-m113/
Although it's supposed to depict an Aussie M113, it has the NZ 1981/82 conversion to raise & invert the front vision block, which I'm pretty sure Aussie didn't do.

Mal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:07 PM UTC
Thanks, Mal,

Yeah, I try & get the joins nice & sharp before rounding them off. Makes dimensioning easier. Thanks for the link, too.

Got some 3D printed wheels from Shapeways, plus some other bits & bobs, too.

A long, long way to go. Any comments & corrections welcome.

afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 03:17 AM UTC
Hi Greg
Are those Road wheels from Wozwashere's site on Shapeways?
If so, they are 1/18, so a little small - 33.8mm vs 38.1mm in 1/16th. I asked Warren to create them, along with the mudguards for my 1/18th M113. They were also created as stowage items, hence the empty hubs.
But, if you're willing to put up with those limitations - go for it.

Mal
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 03:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work on the turret Greg. I want to build one of the Philipines Marines M706 with the twin machine gun turret. To me, it looks similar to the aavp7a1 kit. Of cource, with bit modification it can work.

I’m working on one of those too. The AAV’s UGWS proved a poor fit for this job. I picked up Verlinden’s resin UGWS which is very inaccurate for an AAV but, even it required a lot of work to get it to what I thought looked OK. I have couple more of these in the stash I want to build and add the same turret. So far, the best option I’ve found is the turret from Trumpeter’s 1/35 M117 Guardian. It too will require a bit of work but appears to look closer to what is fir to the Philippine Marine vehicles I am modeling.

Mine is an LAV-150S. I cut the hull in two and stretched it by about half-inch. I still need to add all the weapons and do a bit of weathering but am close to finishing this one. Then I can start a second in the more common green camouflage.

Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Nice work on the turret Greg. I want to build one of the Philipines Marines M706 with the twin machine gun turret. To me, it looks similar to the aavp7a1 kit. Of cource, with bit modification it can work.

I’m working on one of those too. The AAV’s UGWS proved a poor fit for this job. I picked up Verlinden’s resin UGWS which is very inaccurate for an AAV but, even it required a lot of work to get it to what I thought looked OK. I have couple more of these in the stash I want to build and add the same turret. So far, the best option I’ve found is the turret from Trumpeter’s 1/35 M117 Guardian. It too will require a bit of work but appears to look closer to what is fir to the Philippine Marine vehicles I am modeling.

Mine is an LAV-150S. I cut the hull in two and stretched it by about half-inch. I still need to add all the weapons and do a bit of weathering but am close to finishing this one. Then I can start a second in the more common green camouflage.

Nice! What scale?

Edit: Ah, 1/35. Very cool.
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 12:13 PM UTC
Mike,

Dug it out today:

My scratch build is uppermost. My recollection was a little off, had only base coated the turret.
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 03:52 AM UTC
Cargo hatch relocated (thanks Jason Miller for the dimensions from the Academy kit), with new hatch cover scratch built, ready for the filter box.

Ignore the parallax- the hatch cover clears the turret by the scale 11mm/.48" (0.7mm).

youngtiger1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 534 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:59 AM UTC
Greg, that's pretty cool. The body look identical as if it was Trumpeter kit. You should finish it after 113. It looks pretty cool and will looking nice sitting next to Trumpeter version.

Thanks again for taking the time to dig it out and snap some pic. I sure do appreciate it

youngtiger1
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Holy cow Daniel, that is totally awesome. That's exactly what I want to build. Are you building it online?

As for the verlinden turret, I read about that but found out it oop and hard to find. After Greg told me about Cadillac Gage 1 meter turret, I went on a hunt and I found out that Trumpeter 1/35 Canadian AVGP Grizzly has the right turret for this conversion. I don't fully know if that's 100% accurate, but it looks very close to my untrained eye. The kit part will need minor twicking to be made into Philippians Marines V-150 turret. I don't own this kit, so I'll have to get one and see.

Also, about your stretching the hull. I read that too is small by 5-6mm. Your half inch stretch looks pretty good. Btw. are those resin wheels or kit? They look pretty good.

I don't want to high jack Greg's thread and talk about V-150. He is doing incredible work and the spotlight should stay on it and not get side tracked. So, if you are building this online let me know and we'll continue our chat there. If not, I guess we'll just have to start a new thread...lol
youngtiger1
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:33 AM UTC
I found the kit review here on armorama and it shows the photos of the turret parts and we can compare it to the real thing...

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/7205

Canadian version...
http://www.casr.ca/101-army-armour-1m-turret.htm

Ok, looking closely to the I can see the back of the turret is little different on Philippians V150, but that can be easily changed. The main part in the front is same.

Philippians version...
http://pena-abad.blogspot.com/2009/04/lav-300-for-phillipine-panama-and-kuwait.html

http://www.timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=7933.60
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 02:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Greg
Are those Road wheels from Wozwashere's site on Shapeways?
If so, they are 1/18, so a little small - 33.8mm vs 38.1mm in 1/16th. I asked Warren to create them, along with the mudguards for my 1/18th M113. They were also created as stowage items, hence the empty hubs.
But, if you're willing to put up with those limitations - go for it.

Mal

Sorry, Mal, didn't see this. Yes, they're Warren's, but they're 1/16

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GM5FVXW2L/1-16-m113-wheel?optionId=60292657&li=ostatus

I asked Warren to upscale from your 1/18 - checked the scale against my 1/1 dimensions, absolutely spot on.

Greg
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 02:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Greg, that's pretty cool. The body look identical as if it was Trumpeter kit. You should finish it after 113. It looks pretty cool and will looking nice sitting next to Trumpeter version.

Thanks again for taking the time to dig it out and snap some pic. I sure do appreciate it

Too easy, Mike.

Nah, I'm moving 100% to 1/16, so it'll never be finished. Thanks for the kind words, though. It's fate was sealed the moment the Trump kit was released.
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 10:22 AM UTC
This could get interesting....

afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 10:29 AM UTC
Hi Greg
Did you pick up Ryan's Scorpion too? I'm working on tool brackets on mine. Good to see Woz upscaled the M113 parts - the more the merrier.

Mal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Greg
Did you pick up Ryan's Scorpion too? I'm working on tool brackets on mine. Good to see Woz upscaled the M113 parts - the more the merrier.

Mal

Hey Mal,

Just the turret so I can build a M113 MRV. I thank you for the pointer - my wallet doesn't!

Greg
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 02:29 PM UTC
Like the movie says, 'Stay....on....target.'

Right, back to work on the T50.
afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 03:29 AM UTC
Hi Greg
I'm overly familiar with wallet pain, have recently ordered tranche 2 (suspension & tracks) of Chris Ludwigs new 1/16th Centurion Mk III kit, having rec'd tranche 1 (the main CNC cut 5 kgs of sheet plastic parts) - tranche 3 (turret & gun) next month...
Re the Scorpion Turret & MRV - are you going to create a 2nd rear deck to install that, swap fashion - or are you going to take the plunge on a 2nd M113?

Mal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 06:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Greg
I'm overly familiar with wallet pain, have recently ordered tranche 2 (suspension & tracks) of Chris Ludwigs new 1/16th Centurion Mk III kit, having rec'd tranche 1 (the main CNC cut 5 kgs of sheet plastic parts) - tranche 3 (turret & gun) next month...
Re the Scorpion Turret & MRV - are you going to create a 2nd rear deck to install that, swap fashion - or are you going to take the plunge on a 2nd M113?

Mal

Hey Mal,

The Cent should be cool. Make sure you blog it.

I'm building two M113, complete. There's simply too many differences: trim vanes, buoyancy packs ('appliqué armour' - lol!), driver's hatch, rear lights, infantry/tank telephone. That's just for starters.
afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 10:28 AM UTC
Hi Greg
Yes, have started a blog at Havoc Hobby, just haven't done much with it as yet - Scorpion has kept me busy.

Think I mentioned I've got 2 X M113's too, but both will be NZ T50 turreted, both NZ Variants - raised inverted front scope & the sabre sight fitted ones we sent to Bosnia.

Have thought for a while that one should have more than just 1 AFV, given they normally operate in packs/gangs (AKA Troops, Squadrons etc).
Part of that saying - "The more you use, the less you lose" - which works, until some sod throws a nuke....

Mal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 02:14 PM UTC
Hey Mal,

Didn't realise you had two M113 - in 1/18, IIRC. Tried registering for the other forum - nil response.

I wasn't aware that the NZA had inverted the front episcope on the T50 until I checked out that restoration you linked. Looks crazy, but at least they're usable - unlike the purely decorative ones on Australian cars.

Made some more progress on the cargo hatch & filter box, scaled form measurements I took from a 1/1 car at the Australian War Memorial.

The spacing between the hatch & turret is correct. It really is that close a fit between the two. Still have to add the bump stops, torsion spring, hull hinges, & filter conduit, but it's getting there. The rim to the driver's hatch is now the correct height, makes everything look a little more proportional.

Cheers.
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 03:49 AM UTC
A little more progress over the course of the week.

The cargo hatch & filter box are close to completion.

The trickiest work to date has been adding the gun depression rail ('Jesus bar') between the turret & cargo hatch to prevent own goals into the vehicle itself. The turret makes the full 360 degree/6,400 mil traverse, without interference.

Interestingly, on the upgraded M113AS4, electronic interlocks superseded the need for a physical bar to prevent own goals, so one wasn't initially fitted. User complaints about the absence of a 'hand rail' led to the incorporation of a purpose designed one into the build state.

Cheers.
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 04:52 PM UTC
The car I'm building - 134329 - had a M113 hull, not a M113A1, so it had the bolted plate around the armoured fuel filler cap. Thankfully, so did the 1/1 scale example I measured.

Anyone know where to find a 1/16 armoured fuel filler cap?