_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
MicroSol Issues
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 06:40 PM UTC
I've been a bit too entheusiastic with the MicroSol, knackered some Tamiya Decals on the 1/48th Jimmy Tanker.

All vehicles were glossed with Humbrol Clear & the other Tamiya decals on the same 1/48th Tamiya Jimmy Truck were fine, as were the Airfix Cartograf decals done at the same time.

Is the paintwork salvageable? or could I regloss & give it another go?
Tia

PRH001
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 603 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 08:06 PM UTC
Jon,
I don't use Humbrol clears, but I had similar experiences with other brands. I'd recommend you rinse the areas where the Microsol was applied and let them dry. Then thin some of the clear you used previously and apply a very light coat over those areas. If the fogging starts to disapper you can continue, if it doesn't, you can still remove the paint and redo your work. It's worth a shot.

Hope this helps.
Paul H
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 08:32 PM UTC
to clarify: According to the instructions(!) on the bottle:

MicroSET (Blue Bottle) is brushed on to model where decal is to go.... etc & MicroSET (RED Bottle) is used to Soften Decal to conform to surfaces....

I used blue to position then red to set decals on 3 models. The Cartograf decals were a dream, as were the Tamiya decals on the Jimmy truck, but the Tamiya tanker decals were very thick, not helped by my cack-handedness.

Not mopping up promptly is the cause of the 'burn', so looking for recovery techniques blush

& is there a better setting solution?
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 08:57 PM UTC
You might be able to get rid of the "frost" by applying a clear gloss. Alternately, you might also try gently rubbing it out with fine grit wet sanding(minimum 600).
DarthHans
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 11:11 PM UTC
I have lucked out when this has happened to me by applying another coat of clear gloss. So far that is all I have had to do. Good luck.
PRH001
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 603 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 11:57 PM UTC
Tamiya decals are do not react well with Microsol. Gunze's Mark softer or Tamiya's own decal solvent will do a better job on Tamiya, Hasegawa or Gunze's kit decals
Paul H
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 01:03 PM UTC
i have te same issue with the same stuff...microsol + humbrol clear...is easy fix with another coat of clear,happen if you put to much microsol
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 03:47 PM UTC
Well after advice here & elsewhere, I wet-sanded the offending areas with MDC's 5 pack of sanding blocks and some fingernail sanding/buffing/finishing stick set from Primark (£1.00/$1.60 ish)

A quick coat of Humbrol Gloss later,

24 hours later USAF & hood number decals on with Humbrol DecalFix

& the residue, much less than the MicroSol/Set

Cleanup & final gloss tonight.

More Pics showing the thinner truck & decals on the tailgate, which were fine.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 07:58 PM UTC
Nearly finished, a quick coat of Humbrol Flat, (feel like the prodigal, returning to the Enamels family!)

Bits of 'fuzz' on the tanker body, which is from the a/b (dried flat varnish?) which brushes off easily.

Conclusions: The Humbrol Gloss & flat do spray well, & make the tramline edges of the Tamiya decals disappear, enough said.

But I wasn't happy with spraying the gloss onto the windscreens. Luckily this stripped off easily enough with IPA, H20 & a toothbrush, I will DIP them as recommended by Humbrol's Youtube Tutorials.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 08:01 PM UTC

More Here
 _GOTOTOP