_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Rye Field Fehrmann Tiger
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 07:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But DML 6608 Tiger I "Tunisia Inital" is more accurate. And 6820 Bovington "131" too. Both are more useable as RFM with short barrel (for example).

What are you saying? The reviews I've seen suggest the RFM barrel is actually 10% longer than Dragons barrel.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 07:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For me is Rommel´s Tiger a cult machine

Rommel didn't have any Tigers. The Tigers in Tunisia belonged to Generaloberst von Arnim.

Quoted Text

What is meant by "short barrel"?

The barrel in Rye Field's kit #5001 is too long.

David
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

David

OIC.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 09:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David

OIC.

It's merely the competitive market place at work. Rye Field is the new guy who did a new Afrika Tiger.

So Dragon dusts off theirs and contacts the Tiger experts to make the ultimate Afrika Tiger kit. So of course theirs is better. The Rye Field Tigers are quality kits. They should sneak in and do a Tiger that no one has done yet (Das Reich at Kursk maybe?)

Everyone does the initial Tiger or the oddball Tiger, but no one does the later early series production with the reinforced mantle and "s" mines and so on. Or no one has quite gotten it right.
AlfredCZ
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 09:50 PM UTC
OK, is longer, not shorter - in any case is out of scale.

Rommel is high ranking German Commander in North Africa Theater. Tigers I in Africa aren´t part of DAK, but Desert Fox uset both Schwere Panzer Abteilung as "Firefighters" on critical places on front.

Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rommel is high ranking German Commander in North Africa Theater.

Rommel was made the head of all German forces in the theater on 23 February 1943. He left Africa permanently on 9 March. He was the commander of the Tigers in Africa for only 14 days.

During those days he fought the British near the Mareth Line in southern Tunisia. The Tigers remained in the north. He did not use his Tigers for anything, as far as I know.

Some Tigers participated in Rommel's battle at Sidi Bou Zid in February, but they were only on loan to him.

Quoted Text

Desert Fox uset both Schwere Panzer Abteilung as "Firefighters" on critical places on front.

Could you give us an example?

David
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 02:49 AM UTC
He won't because he can't. I'm guessing he's very new to all this and that's why he's spouting fallacies. If you recall the Sherman Tank Scandal book thread he was on the author's side, being caught up in the "German Armor>All others" mythology.
AlfredCZ
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 12:19 AM UTC
12.1.1942 Tigers destroyed 34 allied tanks and 6 armoured cars.
On to begin of December ´42 Tigers (4.12 ´42)Tigers destroyed around 184 US Tanks. In 19th January on Battle near Keebir sees Tigers destroyed around 25 AT guns and one hundred od soft skins. 14th February in Battle on Sidi boud Zid Tigers destroyed:
112x medium Tanks
5x light tanks
12x 155mm guns
80x half tracks
10x self propeled guns
15x armoured cars
77x Jeep Willys MB
10x 10t Heavy trucks
64x GMC medium truck (2.5t)
12x 4ton tractors/heavy haulers
and 40x watches
From H.C. Butcher 1947

In last battle on Africa theater near Pont du Fahs and
25 allied tanks and remains 9 Tigers damaged around 150 allied tanks to 10h May 1943.

On Africa Theater was deployed 22 Tigers. On the (combat)loses of 10 lost Tigers (in combat) two was abadoned and three destroyed by their own crews... PzKpfw VI Tiger I in NAT have around 300 allies tanks kills....
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 12:34 AM UTC
That does not answer David's question about Rommel's use of Tigers, and at any rate the dates listed are outside the time frame of Rommel being in charge of all German forces in Africa.

There is no shame in admitting you were mistaken about Rommel influencing the mystique of the Tiger.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 12:45 AM UTC
Well, from my own count, there were 31 Tigers deployed to Africa. But that's beside the point.

Most of the battles that you listed were not Rommel's battles. He was in Libya; these battles were in Tunisia, and they were the responsibility of Generaloberst von Arnim.

Tigers did participate in the Sidi bou Zid battle. They were not Rommel's property even then; they were on loan to him.
And in this battle, the Tigers were not "Firefighters". There was no "fire". The Axis forces initiated the battle.

So, no examples.

David
 _GOTOTOP