_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M48A1 Berlin BDE
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:32 AM UTC
Gino-- impressive as always, great job
DJ
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 11:40 AM UTC
A very well looking model. Subtle weathering, nice paint and the markings do stand out.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 12:53 PM UTC
Gino,
Very nice! Glad you didn't o over the top with weathering.

Gaz
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have finally finished the M48A1. I painted it with Rustoleum Camo Colors Olive, which is a dark olive drab. It looks right to me for post WWII OD. I only applied a light weathering since these tanks were kept pretty clean. Also, looking at pictures, there wasn't really any stowage on them except extra ammo cans and a tarp or two.

Here she is:

Inner hatch details.

Ammo cans and tarps.

Rear deck.

This was a fun build and I hope to eventually put it in a dio with some figures and possibly the Checkpoint Charlie sign.

Next up is the dragon M60 (Slick 60) kit. Keep an eye out for a build review of it soon.

Looks VERY NICE, Gino!

I remember seeing US Army National Guard Vehicles, Trucks full of Troops, Engineering Vehicles and Armor en route to Summer Maneuvers at Fort Drum during the 1960s when I was a kid- Back then, we lived in New York City, and we would see these vehicles on the New York State Thruway, when Dad was driving us up to spend the Summer at a little resort called "Wagon Wheel Cabins", which was located just outside of East Branch, N.Y, on the old Rt. 17, before the new 4-lane Rt.17 was constructed. It was fun to see all the different equipment that the Army was using, even back in those days. We were all very impressed! We used to wave at the National Guardsmen aboard the 6-bys, and they ALWAYS smiled and waved back!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 09:45 PM UTC
Thanks guys. It was a fun build and I like the way it turned out.

Dennis - glad I could bring back some memories with this one.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 11:03 PM UTC
Looks great Gino, look forward to your M60, my favorite series of tanks.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 11:06 PM UTC
Thanks James. I plan to get started on the M60 this weekend.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys. It was a fun build and I like the way it turned out.

Dennis - glad I could bring back some memories with this one.

Thanks, Gino! I read all of your reviews, articles, and posts! You never fail to satisfy!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 12:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino,
Very nice! Glad you didn't o over the top with weathering.

Gaz

AGREE- There is always such a thing as "too much"...

Personally, I like to go easy on the weathering with my models, as I rarely build a dio- No ROOM!!!

Besides, too much weathering tends to cover up all that extra detail that I've spent hours and hours on in creating it. Just when I start to think that maybe I need to apply a bit more weathering, that's when I STOP!!!
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 05:51 AM UTC
Really nice work, Gino, with subtle weathering suitable for a well-maintained, peacetime, Cold War era vehicle.

I am so tired of seeing bizarre "paint modulation" effects on models, so that every panel has a bright center and dark edges. Your model may not offer as much "eye candy," but it's much more real.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 07:05 AM UTC
Thanks Dennis and Gerald. I agree, I can't stand the latest trendy fad finishing such as color modulation, pre-shading, post-shading, covering in chips and rust, heavy mud covering all details, etc., etc., etc... I like to build them how they actually look based on my experiences with over 20 years on active duty seeing/dealing with armored vehicles.
cheswickthecat
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:00 AM UTC
Gino, that's a sweet looking build. Looking forward to seeing your dio when you finish it off.

One possible stupid question; what does the 21 marking on the jerry cans indicate?
Terry
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:16 AM UTC
And that is what a real tank looks like. Well done Gino.

The Berlin Brigade stuff was kept immaculate unlike the 7th Army training center M48A2 I did. No mud puddles in downtown Berlin.
acebatau
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 616 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 09:46 AM UTC
Great built, mate, now you should build T-55 opposing it to complete the story
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 01:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Dennis and Gerald. I agree, I can't stand the latest trendy fad finishing such as color modulation, pre-shading, post-shading, covering in chips and rust, heavy mud covering all details, etc., etc., etc... I like to build them how they actually look based on my experiences with over 20 years on active duty seeing/dealing with armored vehicles.

Gino & Gerald- I AGREE, most emphatically! There is NO reason on earth why so many modellers do depict their models with "over-done" weathering, applying a dozen filters, with POUNDS of filth, especially RUST, covering them, until the original color and details are completely obscured- Maybe they just want want to show off their "crud-creating skills"!

The trick to pre- and post-shading is that these effects should be very subtle; some of these effects are not quite convincing, in that they show too much contrast between the shades. There again, it's possible that SOME of the modellers that are doing this just want to show that they actually DID pre- and post-shade their models!!!

Then again, some modellers have carried off pre- and post-shading quite admirably...
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 02:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gino & Gerald- I AGREE, most emphatically! There is NO reason on earth why so many modellers do depict their models with POUNDS of filth covering them, except that maybe they just want want to show off their "crud-creating skills"!

As the poor sot tasked with shoveling the pounds of crud from out of the suspension every once in a while I like to put it there just to remind myself of how it was. I know that mud relief holes don't mean you still won't have to shovel thirty pounds of impacted mud from out of the drive sprocket. Or that just because you drew the vehicle "clean" doesn't mean there isn't a huge clod of dried gunk hiding behind the idler wheel ready to fall on your freshly shined boots when checking the suspension.

Or finishing a road march and looking at your sand colored tank and swearing it was NATO three color when you started out.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 05:28 PM UTC
Thanks all. It came out just how I wanted it. Clean, but still looking like it is in-service. Hopefully I can get to a dio for it soon. We'll see.

I hear you on the over weathering. I too have seen plenty of AFVs covered in mud and crud and had to clean them up too, fun stuff. There is a time and place for the mud, but I like to actually see my models, not a mud-covered chunk of plastic. If it is going to be in a dio with lots of mud and such, fine. Short of that, I see no reason to cover them in crud.

Quoted Text

One possible stupid question; what does the 21 marking on the jerry cans indicate?

Terry - I believe they "borrowed" the jerry cans from their buddies on the F21 tank. Usually, the jerry cans will have the same number as the tank, like the stowage box does. The reference pics (below) show they had "21" jerry cans though.

hanb7323
Visit this Community
Daejeon, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 05:55 PM UTC
Nice building and urban weathering. Very inspiring. Congratulations
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 06:16 PM UTC
Thanks Byeol. I'm glad you like it and that I inspired you. Looking forward to see what you build.
 _GOTOTOP