_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M48A1 Berlin BDE
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 03:45 AM UTC
My latest project is a continuation of the Dragon M48A1 Review I did a short time ago. I am converting the base kit into an M48A1 from the 40th AR BDE (Berlin BDE) as seen in the Berlin Crisis of 1961. I am building F25 "War Eagle", as seen below.

The major changes are the addition of a Crouse-Hinds search light on a specific mount only seen in the 40th BDE and a hard rifle case on the right side of the turret.

So far, I have added the light and mount. I built the mount from 3/32' tubing and some bolt heads. I still need to make a cover for the light.

I have also started on the hard rifle case. It is made out of laminated 0.040 sheet styrene. I still need to add the flap that opens to access the rifle. I also cut out a section of the railing along the right side of the turret as well.

More to come soon.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 04:04 AM UTC
Gino,
Interesting build idea. Gonna watch!

Gaz
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 06:49 AM UTC
Thanks Gary. I forgot to mention that the Crouse-Hinds search light is a resin set from Tank Workshop. It is a really nice piece.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 07:12 AM UTC
The rifle case shape is looking good Gino. Would it have been for an M1 Garand?
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 07:37 AM UTC
Does the tank have no mantlet cover due to the searchlight?
Dan
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Gary. I forgot to mention that the Crouse-Hinds search light is a resin set from Tank Workshop. It is a really nice piece.

Hah! And here I was thinking I ahould be praising you for making the searchlight. Still, very cool!

Gaz
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does the tank have no mantlet cover due to the searchlight?
Dan

You can come across some tanks fitted with both :

H.P.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 05:35 PM UTC
Thanks guys. It has been fun so far and will be rewarding once done.

Quoted Text

The rifle case shape is looking good Gino. Would it have been for an M1 Garand?

Thanks Jason. The case would have been for either an M1 Garand or an M14, which was a modernized M1 with removable magazine and added flash suppressor. The M14 pretty much replaced the Garand in the US Army by '61.

As Frenchy has shown, some had the dust cover with the unique light mount, so I'm not sure why some did not.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:32 PM UTC
Very nice !!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 07:22 AM UTC
I've made more progress on the Berlin BDE M48A1. It is ready for paint. Hopefully I will be able to lay some paint down soon, but it will most likely be a while as life keeps getting in the way.

I completed the hard rifle case. I used scrap PE straps and a buckle for the flap and strap.

I also finished the cover for the Crouse-Hinds search light. Surprisingly, the man-hole cover from an M1A1 Abrams, with a few bolts removed, fit perfectly and the bolts lined up perfectly as well.

I added the interior details to the TC's and loader's hatches as well. I used scrap PE and thin solder for the latch mechanisms. Dragon left both of these smooth and featureless on the inside.

I cut the mud release holes into the outer rear sprockets that Dragon also left off. They are at the 12, 4, and 8 o'clock positions. I used a 5/64 bit for the larger end near the outer sprocket ring, and a 1/16 bit for the smaller end near the center of the sprocket. Then cut between the holes to connect them and smooth out with a file.

A detailed description is below.

Lastly, I worked on some of the details. F-25 had a wooden box on the right rear fender. I stacked a couple of ammo boxes out of an Academy accessory set and detailed them with sheet and rod styrene. I also used an AFV Club .50 cal barrel with flash suppressor, mated to the Dragon .50 cal base. Lastly, I detailed a couple of fuel cans that will be on the turret sides.

Like I said, this may be the last update for a while, we'll see.

As always, all comments are welcomed.
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 07:30 AM UTC
Thanks H.P.
Dan
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 08:01 PM UTC
Also, I started on some of the custom decals that will be required for F-25 that Dragon left off. The main one is the 40 AR BDE "patch" that will go onto the cover for the search light.

It looks like a standard AR division patch, w/a 40 on the top, like below.

I will be resizing (the one on the tanks were elongated) and printing this on computer decal paper.

Taylornic
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 337 posts
Armorama: 332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 06:20 AM UTC
Nice work!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 04:46 PM UTC
Thanks Taylor. Hopefully I will be able to do some more work on it soon.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 06:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've made more progress on the Berlin BDE M48A1. It is ready for paint. Hopefully I will be able to lay some paint down soon, but it will most likely be a while as life keeps getting in the way.

I completed the hard rifle case. I used scrap PE straps and a buckle for the flap and strap.

I also finished the cover for the Crouse-Hinds search light. Surprisingly, the man-hole cover from an M1A1 Abrams, with a few bolts removed, fit perfectly and the bolts lined up perfectly as well.

I added the interior details to the TC's and loader's hatches as well. I used scrap PE and thin solder for the latch mechanisms. Dragon left both of these smooth and featureless on the inside.

I cut the mud release holes into the outer rear sprockets that Dragon also left off. They are at the 12, 4, and 8 o'clock positions. I used a 5/64 bit for the larger end near the outer sprocket ring, and a 1/16 bit for the smaller end near the center of the sprocket. Then cut between the holes to connect them and smooth out with a file.

A detailed description is below.

Lastly, I worked on some of the details. F-25 had a wooden box on the right rear fender. I stacked a couple of ammo boxes out of an Academy accessory set and detailed them with sheet and rod styrene. I also used an AFV Club .50 cal barrel with flash suppressor, mated to the Dragon .50 cal base. Lastly, I detailed a couple of fuel cans that will be on the turret sides.

Like I said, this may be the last update for a while, we'll see.

As always, all comments are welcomed.

Looking VERY NICE, Gino!

Questions:

a) Doesn't DEF make a Rear Back Plate w/Exhaust Louvers and Sprocket Replacement set for the DRAGON M48-series kits? Would that set be appropriate for the -A1 model..? I don't know, maybe you do..?

b) What are you going to use as your color? I remember reading somewhere that US Army vehicles were prayed in (semi-gloss) FS24087 OD, rather than FS34087 (flat)..? Is this so, or is it a bunch of malarky..?

c) VOYAGER makes some very nice PE sets for the DRAGON M48A3-series kits; would these be appropriate for the -A1..?

d) What's your take on the TANK WORKSHOP Crouse-Hinds Searchlight? I'm debating with myself whether I should invest in one...

Hope you can help me out, because I have a DRAGON -A1 waiting in the wings...

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 07:14 PM UTC
Hi Dennis. Here are some answers:

Quoted Text

a) Doesn't DEF make a Rear Back Plate w/Exhaust Louvers and Sprocket Replacement set for the DRAGON M48-series kits? Would that set be appropriate for the -A1 model..? I don't know, maybe you do..?

The sprockets would be usable, but the rear plate is totally different. The Def rear plate is to correct the M48A3 kit, which includes the rear plate from the later M48A3 Mod B. The Mod B version has armored bars around the outer and top edges of the plate, which the earlier M48A3 did not.

Quoted Text

b) What are you going to use as your color? I remember reading somewhere that US Army vehicles were prayed in (semi-gloss) FS24087 OD, rather than FS34087 (flat)..? Is this so, or is it a bunch of malarky..?

The post WWII color was a bit darker and semigloss. I plan on using Testors Model Master Dark Green (FS 34079), and then some semi-gloss lacquer to seal it and bring up the shine a bit.

Quoted Text

c) VOYAGER makes some very nice PE sets for the DRAGON M48A3-series kits; would these be appropriate for the -A1..?

Maybe some of it, I don't know as I haven't used/seen it. I think the PE that comes in the kit is sufficient. I don't usually buy AM PE.

Quoted Text

d) What's your take on the TANK WORKSHOP Crouse-Hinds Searchlight? I'm debating with myself whether I should invest in one...

I like the TW Crouse-Hinds light. It is a nice little kit. My only complaint is that it has no instructions, so find some good reference pics.

Hope that helps and good luck with yours.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The sprockets would be usable, but the rear plate is totally different. The Def rear plate is to correct the M48A3 kit, which includes the rear plate from the later M48A3 Mod B. The Mod B version has armored bars around the outer and top edges of the plate, which the earlier M48A3 did not.

Quoted Text

The post WWII color was a bit darker and semigloss. I plan on using Testors Model Master Dark Green (FS 34079), and then some semi-gloss lacquer to seal it and bring up the shine a bit.

Quoted Text

Maybe some of it, I don't know as I haven't used/seen it. I think the PE that comes in the kit is sufficient. I don't usually buy AM PE.

Quoted Text

I like the TW Crouse-Hinds light. It is a nice little kit. My only complaint is that it has no instructions, so find some good reference pics.

Hi, Gino!

THANKS, MUCH! I'll put your info to good use!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 03:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks, Again!

Wouldn't FS34079 be more appropriate for US Army Vietnam-era and newer vehicles, such as the initial production 105mm M1 Abrams Tanks..? FS34079 is a lot more Green-ish in tone than OD. I have the FS595A Specs & Color Chips...
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 04:36 PM UTC
To my eye, it looks right. They didn't really look OD, but a darker, deeper green. The first batch of M1s were in Forest Green FS 34127.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

To my eye, it looks right. They didn't really look OD, but a darker, deeper green. The first batch of M1s were in Forest Green FS 34127.

OK, just made a note of that info- THANKS!!!
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 10:11 PM UTC
Agreed on the Crouse searchlight. Not having instructions, especially when trying to determine an appropriate mounting method, makes it a little challenging. The resin set itself is great, very well detailed, and reasonably priced as well.

I appreciate the different takes on the Cold War color recommendations. Although I use what appears right to my (slightly colorblind) eyes, being able to reference a specific color code and manufacturer will be an assist.

Now, let's see if we can get a figure manufacturer to produce some US Army folks wearing the standard non-jungle fatigues that were the staple from end of the 1950s through the first BDUs (not counting Vietnam jungle fatigues).

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2016 - 02:37 AM UTC
Thanks Jim. You are right that there are no a lot of Cold War US figures out there. They are not really appropriate for my build, but there are these. They look pretty good.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Jim. You are right that there are no a lot of Cold War US figures out there. They are not really appropriate for my build, but there are these. They look pretty good.

I LIKE these guys! I'm sure that I can find happy homes for them in some of my as yet un-built US 1970s Armor...
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:15 AM UTC
I have finally finished the M48A1. I painted it with Rustoleum Camo Colors Olive, which is a dark olive drab. It looks right to me for post WWII OD. I only applied a light weathering since these tanks were kept pretty clean. Also, looking at pictures, there wasn't really any stowage on them except extra ammo cans and a tarp or two.

Here she is:

Inner hatch details.

Ammo cans and tarps.

Rear deck.

This was a fun build and I hope to eventually put it in a dio with some figures and possibly the Checkpoint Charlie sign.

Next up is the Dragon M60 (Slick 60) kit. Keep an eye out for a build review of it soon.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 04:21 AM UTC
Nicely done, Gino.
 _GOTOTOP