_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Troublesome windows on Takom BMW
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 01:47 AM UTC
I'm having a hell of a time gluing the windows in the Takom 1/35 German Civilian Car without getting glue smudged all over them. Of course, I'm using Testors' Clear Parts Cement, sort of like Elmers' Glue, which doesn't ruin clear pieces like regular model glue, but it's still a real pain. Is there some trick to it?

I've tried taping them in but that doesn't look much better.

I think these windows should have been cast with little tabs at the edges, which would be out of sight after gluing, or cast in a single molding like those in the Meng pickup trucks.
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 05:01 AM UTC
I use odorless cyanoacrylate (super glue). The odorless style is safer against clouding your clear pieces. Again, I use a very thin line and set it in place. I have never had a problem getting clear pieces in using in like this and not messing them up. Use medium or thin. Thin is great because it takes very little to get your windows to stick in place. Simply place your windows in place and then apply a SMALL amount to the joint and let capillary action take over. The thin glue will take off around the joint and hold the window in place.
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 06:34 AM UTC
Thanks!
docbrick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 10:37 AM UTC
Highly recommend Gator's Grip glue for this application.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Highly recommend Gator's Grip glue for this application.

Also Revell Contacta Clear, or Deluxe Materiels Rocket Card Glue, or any Aliphatic clear glue designed for card models.

Method: place window in position in model, use tabs of tamiya tape on the outside to hold it in if needed, position so you can get to the inside of it.
I puddle a bit of glue on scrap card, & load up a thin needle, then just touch the tip of the needle to the join, to wick the glue by capillary action. Don't try to do it all in one go, if tricky.

Use of the above glues means you can easily strip them out & have another go if needed.
 _GOTOTOP