_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Normandy PzIV
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 07:09 PM UTC
OK,now that my Wake vignette is in what I call "post production" I need another smaller project to keep me interested while I still am building the truck dio with all the figs.
This is a subject i have wanted to build ever since I read about it years ago. The LAH ,after being rebuilt for the third time in Belgium in the early summer of 44 was alerted to march to Normandy in July of that year. They were not alerted right after the Invasion as they had not been totally re equipped and trained up yet.
So they were moved to the area behind the front and into a very large wooded area southwest of Caen called the Foret Cinglais (sic) Frenchmen,please forgive my miss spelling!
The full strength Pz Regt under StBF Peiper was widely dispersed in the woods and under strict radio silence. They were instructed to dig in the tanks and practice draconian cammo procedures because the sister unit (HJ) had informed them of the air threat.
I got to this point last night with a superb Dragon PzIV H late kit with zimm,which I believe is the correct version they were issued with right before this.
Yes,I am building a TANK !! Please have a look.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:32 PM UTC
Dude , the skin tones are way off ......................

Cool Jerry , glad to see you trying some armor , will be watching .
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:42 AM UTC
Hi Jerry ,

nice to see you starting a tank build for a change . I thought that Peiper was on the eastern front at the time ??? But i guess you're right .

Kurt
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:43 AM UTC
Not to be a jerk or anything, but I thought it funny in your apology to the French, you misspelled misspelling.

Can't help myself; I grade a lot of writing assignments as a teacher.

Nice to see you tackling a tank. Had no idea you didn't do much armor. I know you do a lot of figure-based dios but didn't realize that was your focus along with aircraft, I guess.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks man, I used to build only armor. Then came the airplane biz and that went about 10 years. Now I am more challenged by figs. But I also know that it has now been so long since I built a tank I forgot everything and also there is a boatload of new stuff available now.
It's like starting over.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry ,

nice to see you starting a tank build for a change . I thought that Peiper was on the eastern front at the time ??? But i guess you're right .

Kurt

Nope Peiper was transferred to the tank regt before the Cherkassy relief operation.Before that for a pretty long time he commanded the SPW abt. That battle decimated the LAH completely for the third time and they were transferred to Belgium in early 44. This was the last complete rebuild with a full strength PzRegt,overstrength PzGrenRegts,etc etc. They were not deemed ready for battle when the Invasion happened so didn't arrive in Normandy until the beginning of July where they still stayed in reserve for about 2 more weeks and given more time to train.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not to be a jerk or anything, but I thought it funny in your apology to the French, you misspelled misspelling.

Nice to see you tackling a tank. Had no idea you didn't do much armor. I know you do a lot of figure-based dios but didn't realize that was your focus along with aircraft, I guess.

Believe me,it would be lot worse without spell check. I have a very large vocab but almost never type it because i can't spell the words and even spell check won't know the word so I have to keep things simple. Plus...I hate to type.
J
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:44 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

I find the auto correct to be my worst enemy sometimes, since there's a lot of modeling and military terminology it doesn't recognize. But I find the edit button on posts to be very useful too! Now if only I could make these comment boxes bigger so I could read what I was typing- but to get back on topic, I look forward to anything Jerry does, I'll bet we won't even recognize this as a tank when he's through with the camouflage job!
VR Russ
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 02:24 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I find the auto correct to be my worst enemy sometimes, since there's a lot of modeling and military terminology it doesn't recognize. But I find the edit button on posts to be very useful too! Now if only I could make these comment boxes bigger so I could read what I was typing- but to get back on topic, I look forward to anything Jerry does, I'll bet we won't even recognize this as a tank when he's through with the camouflage job!
VR Russ

Thanks man,
You may be a lot closer than you think to the truth about this tank! Wait and see what transpires. heheheh
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 01:58 PM UTC
Same here Jerry my spelling is carp ..............

Bad spellers of the world untie !!!!!!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 07:46 PM UTC
Made some progress on the truncated tank. All out of the box so far.
J

J
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 08:01 PM UTC
Hello there

Well, if this is going where I think it may be going, then it's something I've had in mind to try so it'll be interesting to see how you get on....

On another note... didn't you do some LSSAH crewmen a while back? Kind of youthful, scruffy looking guys?

Nice neat job so far anyhow.

Cheers

Sean
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2016 - 09:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello there

Well, if this is going where I think it may be going, then it's something I've had in mind to try so it'll be interesting to see how you get on....

On another note... didn't you do some LSSAH crewmen a while back? Kind of youthful, scruffy looking guys?

Nice neat job so far anyhow.

Cheers

Sean

It may go that way but I can't see inside your head! LoL. This is actually a way I figured out to get around my least favorite thing,painting roadwheels!
I did make some LAH tankers a while ago but that was for a Maint. scene with a PzIV. I wanted to copy the original pic. I am thoroughly impressed and flattered that you would remember that! Thanks buddy.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 09:35 PM UTC
The tank has grown some more. Last nights' progress. I know this is pretty mundane for most here but I haven't built a tank in years so it's pretty cool for me.
J

photo IMG_1308_zpsgu3wktuy.jpg

I have decided this will be tank number 712 commanded by Untersturmf gerhard Stiller in Normandy till past the epic battle at Tilly.
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 09:10 PM UTC
Always fun to see the tanks growing- especially this model Pz IV. Keep it going! Looks great.

-Conor
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 09:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The tank has grown some more. Last nights' progress. I know this is pretty mundane for most here but I haven't built a tank in years so it's pretty cool for me.
J

I have decided this will be tank number 712 commanded by Untersturmf gerhard Stiller in Normandy till past the epic battle at Tilly.

Oh, boy! Another creation from the mind of Jerry! I can't wait!
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 10:01 PM UTC
good job. I like Dragon Zim kits.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 11:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

J

Following closely- NICE, Jerry! Even tho' I'm really not much of a Panzer-fan!

I DO build some WWII German stuff- 1/48 Luftwaffe, and in 1/35, I tend to gravitate to the earlier PANZERGRAU, and AFRIKAKORPS stuff...
Oddball007
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 11:26 AM UTC
Looking great!!!

I'll be following this one
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 07:57 PM UTC
Please check your inbox, Jerry.

Thanks!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks man, I used to build only armor. Then came the airplane biz and that went about 10 years. Now I am more challenged by figs. But I also know that it has now been so long since I built a tank I forgot everything and also there is a boatload of new stuff available now.
It's like starting over.
J

Hey, Jerry!

I like to keep different stuff going on all at one time, myself- Keeps me from getting bored with the whole model-building magilla. Besides, what better way to show off a 1/35 vehicle or a 1/48 aircraft than to pose a figure, or several of them with one's latest creation?

Do you plan to add any figures with this one?
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It's like starting over.
J

Hey, Jerry!

I like to keep different stuff going on all at one time, myself- Keeps me from getting bored with the whole model-building magilla. Besides, what better way to show off a 1/35 vehicle or a 1/48 aircraft than to pose a figure, or several of them with one's latest creation?

Of course!! Always figures in the mix. I used to build tanks and throw the figs away. Now the only time I build the tank is when it makes a good backdrop for the figs!
I also like to try to mix things up. I need to do a civilian scene soon. Or finish my P-38E I am converting from an old Revell 1/32 kit.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 07:17 AM UTC
Thanks David and Ax,for checking in on this slow moving build!
J
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 04:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It's like starting over.
J

Hey, Jerry!

Of course!! Always figures in the mix. I used to build tanks and throw the figs away. Now the only time I build the tank is when it makes a good backdrop for the figs!
I also like to try to mix things up. I need to do a civilian scene soon. Or finish my P-38E I am converting from an old Revell 1/32 kit.
J

Try ICM's 1/48 C-45F/UC-45F, otherwise known as the Beech-18 "Twin" in it's civilian permutation. There are quite a number of figures in 1/48 that can be converted into "civilians" pretty easily, at least where I'm concerned. I've got a vignette planned out using this kit as a civilian plane in Natural Aluminum panels.

Also in my planner, a 1/35 "Early" GAZ AA, with the original rounded Fenders, which I'm going to build as a Ford AA, with the appropriate "FORD" logo on the Grille Shell. I'm not sure yet which way I want to fly, on this one; the MINIART AA, or the HOBBY BOSS kit- Opinions, anyone..?

The GAZ AA and AAA were Fords, built under license in the then Soviet Union.

This will be a little vignette of the US Army 1941 maneuvers, with an Early M3 Lee towing the civilian Ford AA "Stake-body" out of a ditch. The appropriate US Tankers and "late Depression" Male civilian Farm Family Members are helping, i.e, "Pa" and older Sons, while the Female Family Members, a couple or 3 comely "Farmer's Daughters" and "Ma" are looking on. Of course, there will some Kids; very likely I'll use some of Ian Hanratty's excellent WEE FRIENDS Figures for those. His sculpting skills are EXCELLENT, to say the very least!

I'll also have to source an early 1930 or '31 Ford Model A, or a '32 Ford of some kind, possibly some other make of car if I find one to serve my purposes, parked close by as a part of the scene-

I'd title it "Farm Family Goes to Town", or some such thing.

Anyway, it'll be a nice change from my regular subject matter, and I'm looking forward to starting this project. I'll be using HORNET/WOLF Heads with various facial expressions for the Tankers and grown-up Male Civilians- Good chance that I'll be sourcing the younger adolescent Female Heads from the various MASTER BOX 1/35 "Girls" kits, while "Ma" will come from one of the ICM Figure sets.

I may change the scenario- Don't know, yet. What I'm also thinking about is, the Farm Family is providing a tasty roadside picnic or at least a quick Lunch for the hungry Tankers, (It DID happen! ), which ALL concerned are enjoying IMMENSELY! Maybe a couple of the Tankers are flirting a little bit with the 'teen Daughters..? Going that route just might simplify things for me a bit.

In either case, it'll be fun!
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 05:47 PM UTC
Dennis, go with the Miniart kit.
 _GOTOTOP