_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
On to the front
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 03:22 AM UTC
Since we all seem to build AFV's as well worn combat veterans, I decided to go the other way. Here's a new M4A3 on it's way to the ship by rail.

I modified a Tamiya M4A3, no tools, no cables, no gear. I made the comb from a small scrap of styrene sheet. Sealing material is Bare Metal Foil, a staple of auto modelers.

I scratchbuilt the storage box from basswood, the pallet from coffee stir sticks.

The railroad car section is scratchbuilt from sheet and various shapes. I used more stir sticks for the deck and the chocks.

Paint is mostly Tamiya.

G

bprice1974
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 196 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 03:45 AM UTC
I like the way you went with this diorama. Nice work and concept the chalk markings are extremely well done. Did you sketch this diorama out before building? Thanks for sharing.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 04:13 AM UTC
Only thing I can think to add is some labels on the crate. Otherwise I like the look and exacution of the build.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Since we all seem to build AFV's as well worn combat veterans, I decided to go the other way. Here's a new M4A3 on it's way to the ship by rail.

I modified a Tamiya M4A3, no tools, no cables, no gear. I made the comb from a small scrap of styrene sheet. Sealing material is Bare Metal Foil, a staple of auto modelers.

I scratchbuilt the storage box from basswood, the pallet from coffee stir sticks.

The railroad car section is scratchbuilt from sheet and various shapes. I used more stir sticks for the deck and the chocks.

Paint is mostly Tamiya.

G

VERY REFRESHING!

Seeing all of those AFVs that are covered with muck and mire gets a little OLD, sometimes... A lot of guys will be quick to protest that AFVs are in their natural element when they are filthy- Yeah, that's so- But only to an extent. There ARE times when they're pretty darned clean, too...

I LIKE what you did with such a "simple" kit as the older TAMIYA M4A3 (VVSS) 75mm Sherman...

PS- "KILROY" is a nice touch...
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 08:16 AM UTC
Thanks gents!
Brenton I just replicated what I saw in period photos. I usually never sketch anything out before hand.

Ryan in my research I saw no stenciling on any of the crates on 75mm gun tanks. They were all constructed and covered differently. The one I built is an amalgam of what I have seen in photos.

For discussion only. I found this on the web and used it as a reference.

The only markings seen at all were on the two separate crates shipped with 76mm gun tanks. Those tanks had the turrets reversed and the tube strapped down. That required two crates on each side of the barrel. For some reason you will sometimes see stenciling on one or both of those.

Dennis that old Tamiya Shermy can be made to look good. I used stretched sprue for the hull welds and blanked off the sponsons with sheet. All those molded on handles were an asset on this build. They look just grand covered up.

I've done a lot of Tamiya Shermans as USMC warriors. The add ons on those beasts hide or negate all the "errors".

G
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 04:11 PM UTC
I stand corrected Wayne.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I stand corrected Wayne.

You weren't wrong to begin with!

I found a photo in "Son of Sherman" showing M4A2's being shipped by rail. These were destined for Russia and had warning placards on the shipping crates. What they said and in what language is hard to speculate, but it seems we were warning our allies of something.

I'm thinking battery acid.

G
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 05:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I stand corrected Wayne.

You weren't wrong to begin with!

I found a photo in "Son of Sherman" showing M4A2's being shipped by rail. These were destined for Russia and had warning placards on the shipping crates. What they said and in what language is hard to speculate, but it seems we were warning our allies of something.

I'm thinking battery acid.

G

If these -A2s were destined for shipment to the Soviet Union, then it stands to reason that the warning placards would necessarily have been printed in Russian. I there's any way that you could scan this photo and post it to this thread, if it is at all legible, I'll try to translate it for you...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 05:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks gents!
Brenton I just replicated what I saw in period photos. I usually never sketch anything out before hand.

Ryan in my research I saw no stenciling on any of the crates on 75mm gun tanks. They were all constructed and covered differently. The one I built is an amalgam of what I have seen in photos.

For discussion only. I found this on the web and used it as a reference.

The only markings seen at all were on the two separate crates shipped with 76mm gun tanks. Those tanks had the turrets reversed and the tube strapped down. That required two crates on each side of the barrel. For some reason you will sometimes see stenciling on one or both of those.

Dennis that old Tamiya Shermy can be made to look good. I used stretched sprue for the hull welds and blanked off the sponsons with sheet. All those molded on handles were an asset on this build. They look just grand covered up.

I've done a lot of Tamiya Shermans as USMC warriors. The add ons on those beasts hide or negate all the "errors".

G

Yeah, I've gone the "corrections route" on a number of TAMIYA's earlier Sherman kits, i.e, the M4, M4A3, and M4 (105). LOTS of the same stuff that you did, PLUS A LOT of Aftermarket stuff... I also went the DRAGON AND ASUKA/TASCA ways with my Shermans, and even the very latest ASUKA Shermans STILL need aftermarket goodies. Sorry, I'm a REAL "Detail-Geek" when it comes to my modelling efforts...
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 10:23 PM UTC
I can't scan the photo right now. It's on page 93 in Son of Sherman.
Trouble is, being a long shot, you cant make out the writing on the signs, you can only tell that they are there.
I'm relying on the caption as proof they are heading to Russia.

G
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 07:58 PM UTC
great dio great work great subject , different
 _GOTOTOP